KORG ARP Odyssey - Hardware v Software Question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A quick question, if anyone can help me. Has anyone got both the software and hardware Odyssey? If so, how close is the sound? What I'm thinking is that maybe the softsynth could be used as a programming reference for the hardware, given that KORG were stupid enough to leave out a patch memory on the hardware.

The scenario I envisage is that when I get a really good sound happening, either with the software or the hardware, I could match the switch and slider positions on the other and get the same, or at least a very similar, sound (within the limits of the hardware's features, of course). That would make it reasonably quick and easy to change the sound on the go, like up on stage.

Odyssey is the one synth from back in the day that I lusted after but never owned. The closest I came was an Axxe, which sounded amazing but was a bit limited, but I never saw an Odyssey for sale, ever. I was so excited when I saw that KORG were remaking it, right up to the point I found out it couldn't save patches, at which time all my old analogue nightmares returned. But if I could get around that issue, I'd have one in a heartbeat.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: given that KORG were stupid enough to leave out a patch memory on the hardware.

Actually, the hardware ARP Odyssey does have a patch memory (of sorts). It's built into your smartphone.

Sequent wrote:Actually, the hardware ARP Odyssey does have a patch memory (of sorts). It's built into your smartphone.
Ha I take pictures of my Odyssey too. I prefair the hardware sound over any of the software emulations.

They already have three versions of the hardware now, more if you consider the different color schemes too. Why not release another with patch memory and mapping to act as a controller for the plugin? I mean, what the hell, it's already a party, what's one more guest?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:They already have three versions of the hardware now, more if you consider the different color schemes too. Why not release another with patch memory and mapping to act as a controller for the plugin? I mean, what the hell, it's already a party, what's one more guest?
Because they’d have to redo all the electronics to bring patch memory. They’d have to make all the controls digital.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Really? Is that how Sequential Circuits did it with the Prophet V, way back in 1978? That seems unlikely to me. In any event, it has MIDI In, so there must be digital circuitry in it already. They've also managed to do it with their analogue Minilogue and Monologue, so I can't see it being a huge problem. Not doing it has to be costing them business, you'd think it was a no-brainer.
Sequent wrote:Actually, the hardware ARP Odyssey does have a patch memory (of sorts). It's built into your smartphone.
If you mean a camera, it's hardly useful (I don't have my phone with me on stage). If you mean the iOS app, what sort of idiot would buy a Au$1000 phone just to program an Au$1200 synthesizer?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:In any event, it has MIDI In, so there must be digital circuitry in it already.
Midi is limited to notes only. They didn't want to change more out of respect of the original design.

06:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFLNOzBhHo

If anyone comes across this and is still wondering how the hardware and software compare, I just posted some comments in this thread. Short answer: The software can sound almost exactly like the hardware, but it takes a bit of work because some of the parameter ranges are totally different. Korg did an amazing job on both the reissue and the software emulation, and I can happily recommend either one (or better yet, both).
Stormchild

Without patch memory you couldn't give me an Odyssey and now that we have the plugin, I no longer care anyway.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 am If you mean the iOS app, what sort of idiot would buy a Au$1000 phone just to program an Au$1200 synthesizer?
I am pretty sure, there is the one or the other guy around, who possesses a smartphone already before, this use-case comes in his mind. :lol:

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 am If you mean the iOS app, what sort of idiot would buy a Au$1000 phone just to program an Au$1200 synthesizer?
I am pretty sure, there is the one or the other guy around, who possesses a smartphone already before, this use-case is coming in his mind. :lol:

Yes but iPhone's market share was only around 25% last time I looked, so 75% of potential customers are being ignored in your calculation.

v1o wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 am
braj wrote:They already have three versions of the hardware now, more if you consider the different color schemes too. Why not release another with patch memory and mapping to act as a controller for the plugin? I mean, what the hell, it's already a party, what's one more guest?
Because they’d have to redo all the electronics to bring patch memory. They’d have to make all the controls digital.
And it would double the price at least
Amazon: why not use an alternative

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133400987065

Presets and a great ARP filter, among others. Highly recommended.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”