Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

I just bought Odyssey vst and although I was expecting high CPU during playback, I sure was not expecting another CPU related issue when the plugin is idle.

I'm using REAPER on a pretty bad and old machine, but I haven't had this issue with any other softsynth before.

Basically, the plugin takes up 1% CPU as it loads. If I play anything the CPU goes as high as it needs and when I stop playing, it settles around 7-8%, and right there it stays forever (or even increases over time).
If I have any given number of instances which have been played, each one takes its 7-8%, I end up having ridiculous amounts of CPU taken by idle plugins.

Then I noticed that just by moving the "voice assign" selector, it "resets the CPU load" and it goes back to 1% per instance.

Don't know if you guys can reproduce the issue. I'm reporting this to Korg, hopefully they'll sort this out.

Niowiad wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 am I just bought Odyssey vst and although I was expecting high CPU during playback, I sure was not expecting another CPU related issue when the plugin is idle.

I'm using REAPER on a pretty bad and old machine, but I haven't had this issue with any other softsynth before.

Basically, the plugin takes up 1% CPU as it loads. If I play anything the CPU goes as high as it needs and when I stop playing, it settles around 7-8%, and right there it stays forever (or even increases over time).
If I have any given number of instances which have been played, each one takes its 7-8%, I end up having ridiculous amounts of CPU taken by idle plugins.

Then I noticed that just by moving the "voice assign" selector, it "resets the CPU load" and it goes back to 1% per instance.

Don't know if you guys can reproduce the issue. I'm reporting this to Korg, hopefully they'll sort this out.
Yes, this is reported e.g. in this thred.
The main issue/difference is dependent on the DAW (and maybe on the audio interface/software) E.g. my Live 9 i7 laptop, Odyssey chareges up to 120 % cpu per one instance (!)(i.e. unusable), depending in the preset/voices. In my i7 desktop, which rarely gos over 20 % cpu with any number of applications/edfects in up to 8 tracks at the same time, shows up to 80 % cpu with the Odyssey.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 am Why would they need to update the GUIs? They still work. Jus because you've been stupid enough to set yourself up so that you can't work with them any more is not Korg's fault.
Damn, you're right! Why would they? I'm going to order some CRT today!

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 am Why would they need to update the GUIs? They still work. Jus because you've been stupid enough to set yourself up so that you can't work with them any more is not Korg's fault.
No one has said they can't work with them. People are saying they don't LIKE to work with them, some to the point where they choose not to use them. Even Korg themselves acknowledged that they need updating and said they were going to work on them. People are just disappointed that a year or two later nothing has been released. Some people here bought the whole collection when the Odessy VST was released based on Korg saying they were going to update the GUI's. I already had the whole set but I understand people being unhappy about this.

Can you name another VST that like the MS-20 you have to hover over the tiny GUI to bring up an enlarged scrollable window to be able to read the writing on the instrument? I'm not using some new 4K display. I have done nothing to "set myself up" to make the plugs unusuable.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Well, more fool those people. Korg have had a decade to do something, anyone who thought they'd suddenly get onto it was kidding themselves.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Harry_HH wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:48 am
Niowiad wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 am I just bought Odyssey vst and although I was expecting high CPU during playback, I sure was not expecting another CPU related issue when the plugin is idle.

Yes, this is reported e.g. in this thred.
The main issue/difference is dependent on the DAW (and maybe on the audio interface/software) E.g. my Live 9 i7 laptop, Odyssey chareges up to 120 % cpu per one instance (!)(i.e. unusable), depending in the preset/voices. In my i7 desktop, which rarely gos over 20 % cpu with any number of applications/edfects in up to 8 tracks at the same time, shows up to 80 % cpu with the Odyssey.
Thanks for the info.

And something like this hasn't been fixed after more than a year? Neat :party:

I might just report that to Korg as a reminder :scared:

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 pm Well, more fool those people. Korg have had a decade to do something, anyone who thought they'd suddenly get onto it was kidding themselves.
Except Arturia did exactly this with their collection after how many years? Korg comes out with a new emulation with a contemporary GUI and says they will be updating the whole collections GUI's and offer a package deal on them, and you are saying that the people who believed them are fools? I think you are being a bit harsh.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Korg has never adressed the issues with the Odyssey and pretty much abandoned the collection.
Arturia HAS done minor updates to old plugins engines, updated all the Gui's and releases new synths on a periodic pace.
The newly released Pigments just got an update.

Not a whisper from Korg though.

Is it just me, or is it one of the most CPU intensive plugins out there? a single instance averages 50% CPU load in Ableton Live 10 on my i7-6700K. even Diva takes less.

Take a look at max voices parameter. A lot of patches use 16 voices, and they seem to be running constantly. If you don't need that many voices in a patch, reduce max voices to cut CPU usage.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 am Take a look at max voices parameter. A lot of patches use 16 voices, and they seem to be running constantly. If you don't need that many voices in a patch, reduce max voices to cut CPU usage.
Thanks. but do you confirm such load? I don't have any other synth plugin which is so intensive.

Yeah it can eat some CPU, but it's not the most CPU intensive. Reaktor Blocks can be worse, Softube Modular, Falcon, etc.

Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm Arturia HAS done minor updates to old plugins engines, updated all the Gui's and releases new synths
Updated engines ? Rather nerfed some details, for examle in Jupiter and CS80, together with removing FX versions of synths. (it’s not exactly complaint, but just as a circumstance).
Bugs fixing for some old plugs - yes, it was done.

tristan- wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:53 am Is it just me, or is it one of the most CPU intensive plugins out there? a single instance averages 50% CPU load in Ableton Live 10 on my i7-6700K. even Diva takes less.
Didn't I already mention in the other thread that it is probably unison patches? Yes if you use polyphony with unison it will be a cpu killer, and a bunch of patches do this to show off I guess. If you use it like the original hardware (mono/duo) it is very light. Even polyphony without unison is fine. If you use some unison voices in mono it can be ok as well. But once you use a lot of unison and polyphony, it's like multiplying instances of the synth. And as I said before, this is really unnecessary. If you want to achieve this for less cpu with a polyphonic patch, just use the free Multiply by Acon. Sounds very similar.

This is currently on sale, so I finally bought it. I have the hardware ARP Odyssey (Korg module) and it's one of my favorite synths ever. I play it pretty much every day, and I know and love the core sound (though I'll admit there's a narrow range of sounds I like to use, and I don't typically make any wacky sounds that explore all of the features). I was expecting to be at least somewhat disappointed by the plugin, and instead I'm pleasantly surprised by how fantastic it sounds.

Tried matching some patches between the hardware and software. As expected, many of the slider positions have different ranges and can't be matched visually, but after tweaking them by ear I managed to make them sound damn near identical. There are always slight differences when I A/B them, but they're mostly just different (not better or worse). You can always tweak it a little bit more (and I often have to, as the hardware is subject to the laws of physics and the tuning occasionally needs to be nudged as the temperature in my studio changes).

Initially I had trouble with the ring mod — I could get the beating rate to match on one key, but then I'd play the same note an octave up or down and it would be way off. The rate changes wildly from one octave to the next in the software, so it was impossible to match…or so I thought. Turns out the Tuning setting in the options is initially set to Analog, and changing that to Equal totally fixes the ring mod scaling problem.

Anyway, well done Korg. Really impressive emulation. I still love the hardware and won't be parting ways with it, but the plugin is 98% there in terms of the sound, and more than makes up for the difference with tons of great features the hardware can't offer.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”