KVRAF

2832 posts since 4 Aug, 2006, from Helsinki
jancivil wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
progtronic wrote:
Here's one of my early tracks ('92): Aliens Among Us

Hey, that's some good sh*t!!! :clap:

Understatement! If all the guitar work on that track is programmed, that'd be impressive even for a brand new track made with modern-day guitar VIs, much less 1992... :o

I agree.

+1
...although, not as an example of natural sounding, uneffected rhythm guitar, generated with a vst (which, I think, was the OP´s starting point).
progtronic
KVRian

517 posts since 27 Jul, 2010
househoppin09 wrote:...I wonder why more VI devs don't do that sort of thing.

Bringing it back a bit more to 2018, I'd be interested to know if you've discovered any performance or programming tricks that help with realism and humanization when using the current generation of VIs. Technical death metal and ultra-surgical prog is one thing, but with slower/looser styles it's easy to start falling into the uncanny valley of "that sounds a bit too fake and plastic-y but I'm not really sure why", even with the best plugins. Do you have any preferred approach for minimizing that with the current crop of VSTs?

I know all the Orange Tree libraries work that way...:

...you can literally pick any articulation, assign how you want to trigger it.. and set your own velocity preferences, with a totally user friendly (stretchy bar) interface. Very slick. 8)

Regarding modern methods of achieving a realistic, loose electric (or acoustic) strumming style.. I just set up every filthy, humanizing aspect of the patch to FULL. Fret noises, timing, release noises, etc..

I don't really produce any music in a style that would do that sort of jangly kind of rhythm.. but I came close with Vir2's Acou6tics library this remix (at the 2:50 mark). Still way more mechanical (on purpose) than you want to hear though.. but, that's all I got. :lol:

I totally think it's possible. Just need to tweak and experiment, with any capable library.. 'til you find something that works.
househoppin09
KVRist

130 posts since 11 Nov, 2017
Wise words, thanks! I was already psyched to check out some of those Orange Tree guitars, now it's a no brainer. :tu:
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

4625 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire
Don't know about technical metel (always play the gitar for metel - the chugging! always the chugging... ) but I did do a mean faked country and western for an FL contest...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... toryia.mp3

The poor woman probably never expected her vocal to be used for that sort of thing. :hihi:
jancivil
KVRAF

15097 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location
Harry_HH wrote:
jancivil wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
progtronic wrote:
Here's one of my early tracks ('92): Aliens Among Us

Hey, that's some good sh*t!!! :clap:

Understatement! If all the guitar work on that track is programmed, that'd be impressive even for a brand new track made with modern-day guitar VIs, much less 1992... :o

I agree.

+1
...although, not as an example of natural sounding, uneffected rhythm guitar, generated with a vst (which, I think, was the OP´s starting point).

But it is a gestures-rich example of something the more general observer will tend to think has to be someone operating the instrument. Or impossible with samples.
jancivil
KVRAF

15097 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location
househoppin09 wrote: with slower/looser styles it's easy to start falling into the uncanny valley of "that sounds a bit too fake and plastic-y but I'm not really sure why", even with the best plugins. Do you have any preferred approach for minimizing that with the current crop of VSTs?

Those won't be the best plugins, then. The state-of-the-art today for this instrument is such that that problem is the user's fault. I second OTS as a developer that has achieved this. It's a PITA and the fault of that is the subtleties of the role 'rhythm guitar', and all the problems of translation mentioned for this highly idiosyncratic instrument and approach.
Previous

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments