BWS Tablet Mode~ tricks, tips & feature requests.

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought it may be a good idea to have a sticky thread dedicated to using BWS in tablet mode, as it is almost another self contained DAW with its own quirks.

Are many people here using BWS on a tablet? I am on an i5 Surface Pro 4 and it is a true portable DAW, amazing.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Great idea! I use touch mode almost exclusively and rarely ever go back to using a mouse. I use a 24 inch touch all-in-one PC, but also use Bitwig on a 15 inch touch laptop or on Android tablets (via Remote Desktop to the main PC) when I feel like working on a sofa :) No really I think touch is great and certainly beats most physical controllers, at least for me. So I would love to see more hints and tricks about touch (especially since admittedly there are still a few things where you still need to work around limits like functions that are only accessible by keyboard shortcuts or the fact that tooltips only show when hovering ...).

http://surfaceproaudio.com/

A few good BWS videos here.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

For touch interface, I hope i can use just one hand for controling simple & common work such as note length control, duplicate clip or note, etc.

Because most of tablet pc usage, one hand is already used to hold or support the tablet while other hand controlling the bitwig.

And i still don't know how to control loop range by touch.

I purchased Surface Book 2 mostly because of Bitwig, but touch mode needs serious work and have some fundamental issues, including strange idea of two fingers usage and quite small UI elements.
It seems to be abandoned by devs (try, for example, change the scale of track height in Touch UI), so I'm using normal interface + trackpad now mostly.

Though touch feel of keys and some of the VST plugins is something!

I can't see myself using the tablet mode for actual writing of music (and God knows I've tried several times!), but I'd love to use it for performance / jamming. Launching clips already works fine, but controlling the devices by switching between tracks and scrolling the device chains is at the latest finicky and at worst very prone to errors (eg. who thought it's a good idea to replace up/down arrows to move between tracks in v1.3 with drop-down tree in v2?!)

So instead, I'd like to see a play/performance screen combining 3 areas:
- clip launcher, as is
- parameters control panel - this would be a single panel, where user would "collect" and put side by side knobs, buttons, sliders, etc. from devices across the whole project (eg. bass track's filter & resonance, melody track's reverb & envelope shape, drum track's bit-crush & stutter trigger, vocal track's delay & reverb sends) and could manipulate all of them from one place, using multiple fingers and other body parts when needed... :D
- mixer, as is with possibility to switch it out for a on-screen keyboard or drum pad.

With good implementation this would render external controllers like Push or Launchpad useless, or at least much less needed.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

One thing i found is really a pain in tablet mode.
The track volume slider on the ring menu. It jumps to another level without doing anything. Only activating the slider.

Also the delete button in the ring menu is sometimes out of the display.

But this touch experience is new to me (bought a Thinkpad P51) and still learning how good is touch on Bitwig.

Bitwig 3.3.10
«» Music everywhere.. | Bitwig & Kushview Element user «»

I don't know when, but sometime during 3.x they've finally fixed this. Very happy! :clap: :party:

https://youtu.be/uuvxwis-d3w
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

froming wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:42 pm For touch interface, I hope i can use just one hand for controling simple & common work such as note length control, duplicate clip or note, etc.

Because most of tablet pc usage, one hand is already used to hold or support the tablet while other hand controlling the bitwig.
Exactly. I've tried to explain this to them and request that the radial menu be allowed to stay open so that it can be used one handed, but they didn't do anything about it. To me it seems like such an easy change. Simply don't close the radial menu when your finger lifts off if you've held it a certain amount of time. Basically long press versus single touch. Same idea like apple device presses. Let's say you hold it for half a second without dragging and activating any tools, then it stays open. A single click anywhere outside could close it. There could even be a setting for the behavior. It's so inconvenient to have to hold your finger and then use another hand to use those commands. It's awkward even on a big touch screen.

I also love touch mode, but have had some issues setting the loop bar length, moving markers, and that sort of thing.

A few small tweaks and fixes would have me reaching for my trackpad less and less

The thing that bugs me the most is just changing the length of notes, but yeah loop markers as well.

Return to “Bitwig”