[SOLVED] (linVST) Modulators in series

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The FX parameter is already at 100. I would like to bring it down by means of the MIDI keyboard after-touch. Is this possible ?

Cheers.
Last edited by mevla on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just modulate the parameter downward? What's the problem exactly?

As Netsu said, just create a negative modulation value. If you want the initial value at 100, just make sure the modulation is Unipolar.

I have used unipolar behavior a few times with LFOs as it has a handy UI widget for it. Can you tell me where the unipolar parameter is with Expression -> Pressure ?

Also, is the pressure data going to the second device on a track ? I would believe so. To test I also assigned PRES to Frequency Shift Range which is not set at maximum value. Here it's also assigned to the original param., Sideband Mix which is at 100 and needs to go downward. Also as a test, PRES is assigned to the first device, the synth, to the Atonality param.
bitwigExp2.jpg
Pressure is applied, there's output, the Atonality param goes up to some 87 and the assigned params on the 2nd device do not change. In the screen shot here the mouse pointer is resting on the PRES modulator so that we can see the assignment.
bitwigExp1.jpg
The value of PRES in the inspector is -0.535 for Sideband Mix and 0.415 for Frequency Shift Range.

Two things. Is that modulation data transmitted to all devices on a track ? And how do you change the behavior of PRES when there's no UI to do so ? Is the value of -0.535 all that's needed to tell the PRES modulator to not to try to go higher than 100 ?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A negative modulation value means the modulator subtracts instead of adding. Just like you see in the assignment on the screenshot.

Echobode doesn't receive the pressure information because your Synplant plugin doesn't pass through MIDI data (you can see the small yellow rectangle representing note data on the left side, but not on the right side).

Put both plugins into a chain device and put the expressions modulator in the chain slot. Then you can modulate both plugins with the same modulator.

It still does not work. There's more to it though. Something I took for granted but now I see does not work. I use Linux. Both Synplant and Echobode are devices that run under linVST. So I did a broader test. No need for a chain device to carry the data around, by the way. It goes naturally.

Here we have ACE, native to Linux, followed by the RVB500 which is also native. Next is Voxengo's Marvel GEQ which runs via linVST and then again RVB500. The PRES data goes up to the Voxengo device but not beyond it. The linVST process associated with the Marvel GEQ does not pass it down the road.
bitwigExp5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you try putting everything inside a chain and using just one expressions modulator instead of three?

All right. This works. The Chain Container distributes in parallel - Thanks !

There's some kind of a related other problem with linVST. The communication between plugins. Since each one runs inside its own linVST process, they cannot see each other. Is there any Bitwig way of making several plugins share the same resources despite this ?

Return to “Bitwig”