One Year In- Should Bitwig drop the 'Upgrade Plan' model or do you like it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote:In the case of Live,it means the current build can be current for a number of years.
That is a big reason I left Live... very slow core development over years. I prefer to pay more regular upgrades and get more core functionality added. Bitwig is consistently adding the sort of capability I waited years for Ableton to add.

Ableton had to rewrite a lot of the codebase to be compliant with modern standards, which Bitwig had from the very first day i think. Which is why there were no major updates for several years with live, pretty obvious imo. Now they will push features as well.

Oh btw..is the 64 bit version of Live stable (recommended) now? :hihi:

.maki wrote:Ableton had to rewrite a lot of the codebase to be compliant with modern standards, which Bitwig had from the very first day i think. Which is why there were no major updates for several years with live, pretty obvious imo. Now they will push features as well.
I doubt that is the case. My impression is that Ableton considers Live a mature product, that core development is mostly at an end, and they are building around it. Which is likely a smart plan... just not what I want.

Bitwig is where the fresh creative development is happening.

I think Ableton (Like NI) switched a lot of their development time and budget to hardware, its nice diversification (and cant be pirated!) so you cant blame them...but as I have no interest in PUSH or MASCHINE I have started to loose interest with those developers.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It’s pretty much a fact afaik, at least was/is common understanding in Berlin about why they didn’t do updates. They did rewrite a lot internally, at least i’ve been told by people I kinda trust in this regards.

.maki wrote:It’s pretty much a fact afaik, at least was/is common understanding in Berlin about why they didn’t do updates. They did rewrite a lot internally, at least i’ve been told by people I kinda trust in this regards.
Lots of the bugs in v10 seem to confirm that. They simply wouldn't be there, if it was old codebase.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

.maki wrote:It’s pretty much a fact afaik, at least was/is common understanding in Berlin about why they didn’t do updates. They did rewrite a lot internally, at least i’ve been told by people I kinda trust in this regards.
That may well be... they also had the income from Push 1 and Push 2 to carry them over. I've been saying for a while that updates will come quicker now since the Push market is fairly saturated. Users shouldn't expect 9 years again for 2 major upgrades.

But just because they will come with more frequent updates, doesn't mean there will be lots of new core development. New devices, updates to old devices, refinements and workflow improvements and obvious features additions to functions that were never fully developed. That is mainly the sort of stuff I would expect. And all good for the satisfied Live user. They are a smart company.

That said, I'm so much more excited about the choices, direction and vision that Bitwig is implementing.

pdxindy wrote:
That is a big reason I left Live... very slow core development over years. I prefer to pay more regular upgrades and get more core functionality added. Bitwig is consistently adding the sort of capability I waited years for Ableton to add.
Like I said, people who have already purchased it are happy.

People who do not like the licensing model will not buy it.

If Bitwig have done their sums right they will grow.

Time will tell.

dellboy wrote:
True... however, most people don't care about it. It's of no consequence as it is barely different from the usual model.

Im almost 3 months over my Registration Date.... And still i use the latest updates.

I think they should be clearer that the Point updates are the ones you need to pay for. (if expired)

(what Pdinxy says. it isnt really more expensive or difference than other)

I'm happy.

pdxindy wrote:
dellboy wrote:
True... however, most people don't care about it. It's of no consequence as it is barely different from the usual model.
You have zero way to know if "most people don't care about it" !

Most people have no interest in daws period !

Its a niche market,and this can be further reduced to linear versus pattern daws.

And yet again to those who care about constant candyfloss being added and those who are happy with core features.

And finally to those who need hardware integration and those who do not.

Bitwig have to scrape a living from whats left. And again,from those who like their expensive license model (potentially) and those (myself included) who do not.

dellboy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
You have zero way to know if "most people don't care about it" !
Sure I do... because there is nearly no difference from the usual model. It's almost functionally identical. And as more people have realized this, there has been less and less talk of it.

dellboy wrote:
Bitwig have to scrape a living from whats left. And again,from those who like their expensive license model (potentially) and those (myself included) who do not.
I took advantage of the holiday sale and purchased my upgrade coupon for $129. I have not used the code yet because 2.4 has not come out. So 15 months and counting for $129. And of course it is entirely up to me if I want to wait an extra year and get 2 years worth of upgrades for $129. I don't consider that even approaching expensive.

There's no actual reason for your dislike of the license model, but hey you are free to like or dislike something anyway.

pdxindy wrote:
dellboy wrote:
I took advantage of the holiday sale and purchased my upgrade coupon for $129. I have not used the code yet because 2.4 has not come out. So 15 months and counting for $129. And of course it is entirely up to me if I want to wait an extra year and get 2 years worth of upgrades for $129. I don't consider that even approaching expensive.

There's no actual reason for your dislike of the license model, but hey you are free to like or dislike something anyway.
Whilst I agree with you on the value an that it is worth it etc., the issue I have is that many people do not know this, do not understand how it works (I have been in since V1 and I didn't know you could buy the update in a sale and then not use it until the update you want comes out! No expire date? Where is all this written down!)

I suspect a lot of people were misinformed and just switched off when people (incorrectly) said Bitwig was a yearly fee update/subscription when it was announced. Bigwig do very little marketing and get very little feedback on forums...KVR is about it...and the people who read the Bitwig forum are probably people who already own Bitwig!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”