hydra sounds awful?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

in the context of only palm muting, when I compare jupiter to hydra it is just strictly better. doesn't matter what amp/cab I use, doesn't matter what the velocity settings are. hydra sounds absolutely terrible compared to jupiter, and it is an extreme difference. I have to imagine I must be doing something wrong because in the demo song for hydra there was a metalcore track that had some really good palm mutes. so what the f**k?

Hydra was a great-sounding synth..years ago.

for more info, I want my palm mutes to sound like they do in the demo video - https://soundcloud.com/isworks/shreddag ... avi-perera

in jupiter - they do sound like that. jupiter sounds amazing. but hydra sounds like garbage. I've fidgeted around with every setting I possibly can in hydra to no avail, and no amount of processing can fix the trash that hydra produces. I don't know what the magic 'sound good' button is in hydra. why can't it just be like jupiter where it sounds good right out of the box?

How about posting an audio example of what you're getting with Hydra, for starters?

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:54 pm How about posting an audio example of what you're getting with Hydra, for starters?
this is comparing it to jupiter. no processing. same amp and cab. something I've noticed is that the force string knob does not seem to work at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wee7aYw ... e=youtu.be

Playing machine gun notes like that is going to be tough for any virtual guitar. That being said, you have Hydra's pick attack turned up, which is adding extra attack noise - maybe not ideal for this kind of playing. Try turning that down. Then you can try adjusting Global Offset.

Is Hydra fully updated from Pulse?

Can you show the TACT pages of Hydra for palm mutes (all 3 tabs) compared to the Jupiter TACT page?
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I’m curious, can you try placing the hand position at 0 or 1? The position you’re forcing here is physically impossible for the notes you’re writing.

Force string on poly input is a separate bug we will fix soon, as will we the octave fretting.

pryzmusic wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:28 pm I’m curious, can you try placing the hand position at 0 or 1? The position you’re forcing here is physically impossible for the notes you’re writing.

Force string on poly input is a separate bug we will fix soon, as will we the octave fretting.
putting the hand position lower causes it to start trying to play power chords on the 6th and 7th string. it sounds very unnatural and lacking in punch compared to when played on the 8th and 7th strings. not that it had any punch in the first place. but it gets noticeably thinner in tone.
Last edited by aszalee on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zircon wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:22 pm Playing machine gun notes like that is going to be tough for any virtual guitar. That being said, you have Hydra's pick attack turned up, which is adding extra attack noise - maybe not ideal for this kind of playing. Try turning that down. Then you can try adjusting Global Offset.

Is Hydra fully updated from Pulse?

Can you show the TACT pages of Hydra for palm mutes (all 3 tabs) compared to the Jupiter TACT page?
I adjusted the global offset and noticed an improvement of the pick attack although it is still overshadowed by jupiter. it isn't fully updated so I'm updating it now. both of the instruments have their tact settings at default

Return to “Impact Soundworks”