Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm having a hard time figuring out this one:
https://youtu.be/l9tRdSmVZAc?t=1365
Song start min 23.

The main synth progression is a unknown scale to me, sounding detuned/off but yet very pleasing (at least to my ears :D )

The notes played here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9tRdSmVZAc&t=1577s
At 26min 17sec.

Are as follow: A3, C4, A#3, A3, D2, A, A#2, F3, later there is also F#, G and D# (and maybe the extraction wasnt perfect)

In attachment, the midi I could come up with using ableton sound to midi + a lot of cleaning...

Im very interested to know what part of music theory ive missed to have such a off-tune scale that sounds yet so pleasant to me :love:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Deisss on Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The video is over an hour long.
Time marks don't work with embedded videos :(
Could you write them down as well plz?

PS, my reflex to someone writing A# in between an A and a C is:
BertKoor wrote: A# :?:
Bb :tantrum:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Oh sure, the song start at 23min, the highlighted moment/midi is at 26min 17sec...

And the song stop at 27min 40sec ;)

If the song (or that section of it) is in a key of A, the notes you listed off - counting out the F# - would correspond to the Locrian scale.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

BertKoor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:59 pm PS, my reflex to someone writing A# in between an A and a C is:
BertKoor wrote: A# :?:
Bb :tantrum:
Lets agree on the fact im not the best at music theory - but still redoing/relearning all atm, and enjoying it so far :tu:

You found the correct notes :) The synth is a little detuned so a bit hard to grab!

It's just a regular minor.

It's in G minor, all of the pitches listed in the OP are fully explicated as G minor. An F# gives a harmonic form of G minor.
G A Bb C D Eb F, G natural minor, w. F# is G harmonic minor.
A guitar (or something) has a wobbly vibrato attached to it in some way, that's 'out of tune', but that has nothing at all to do with the scale or harmony.

I *strongly* recommend getting your ear together before getting into 'theory' ie., language first, let alone the crutch of a software before you have stood up to walk. The tonic G is as clear as can be. This is your primary step right now.

EDIT: the MIDI seems more or less congruent, but things are missing which would explicate the melody better. There is a F moving directly to F# 6 seconds in, and the F descends in that natural minor (descending melodic minor too) way (there's a kinda sorta Bb major aspect, I wouldn't call it G Aeolian, it's harmonic fabric<- maybe don't worry about that at this precise juncture) before we get the F#.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:29 pm I *strongly* recommend getting your ear together before getting into 'theory' ie., language first, let alone the crutch of a software (to trust that implicitly is a mistake, might be lucky, might not) before you have stood up to walk. The tonic G is as clear as can be. This is your primary step right now.
Thank you all :)

About that quoted message, you mean like ear training? In this case what resources you recommend if I may ask :phones:

Yeah, train your ear. When I started I didn't have resources, I picked things off of records by ear. In a scholastic setting we sight-sing.
I can recommend that you learn to recognize intervals quickly, both on some instrument and with yer voice.
the track likes A and Bb: so sing that A against a Gm chord, against a Bb major chord, and like that. First identify the root and 3rd of the tonic chord Gm, be certain you have that m3 down cold. Sing Bb A G F# against the G minor harmony and get to recognize that, there's a very identifiable effect...

Sing any of these 8 against any harmony from G minor and see what you think about what should happen next, in any/all cases.

the F# btw makes it *harmonic minor* because in the D harmony ("v") it - the leading tone of the scale/key - makes that harmony dominant by it, ie., now it functions harmonically, as they say in the trade.

Deisss wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:40 pm Thank you all :)

About that quoted message, you mean like ear training? In this case what resources you recommend if I may ask :phones:
This is just one resource which helped me, but a mobile app I found helpful is Functional Ear Trainer. It's free (donation based) and I think has a desktop version too. It works progressively so it'll start playing you a major chord (to establish the harmony) then will play one note which might be 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the (major) scale which you then select. As you get more accurate it levels you up to more notes.

I used it a lot on my commute (easy to jump in and practice when out and about). I was always getting it wrong but accuracy slowly went up over time. OK-ish now.

More important though to listen to real recordings and try to pick out small parts of melodies. When a tune starts does it begin on the tonic? Or maybe it's the fifth? Over time you might go - oh I like how that melody just hung on a minor third. It's very learn-able with some patience and time.

It's definitely worth the effort IMO - best of luck.

Edit: Having said all that, I should caveat I'm not very far along on my journey. Give precedence to jancivil's pointers on playing/singing and hearing/feeling the intervals, ultimately what's important over what any app can do.

Return to “Music Theory”