APQualizer feature - affected phase toggle view

Official support for: www.apulsoft.ch
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like the ability to see what is going on with the phase changes on the filters.
While not necessary, it can help troubleshoot when you might have gone too far with an eq move.
I would be toggling between it off and on often, so something in the analyser section of things would be prefered, but something in the options wouldnt be terrible. :)

As 2.5 is the big phase update I decided to add such a view for that (with front-side toggle). The view becomes useful if one needs to see where the upcoming mixed-phase mode has linear-phase. Without the phase modes, seeing the phase graph is mostly the same as looking at how steep the frequency response curve is. For minimal phase filters (as all filters in apQualizr2 are up to now) there is a strong relation between the two. If you need gentle phase changes, don't make your filters too steep.

Even with the view, how would you know how far is too far? In my opinion the big issue with phase changes is phaser-like effects when tracks are mixed and as long as the phase is not exactly linear, these will always occur and be audible even for small phase changes.

When I researched my mixed phase mode (which took forever), I was surprised to see some EQs claiming to have an usable mixed phase mode but in reality they are just scaling the phase change down by a factor.. never reaching 0 and only scaling down the phasing instead of solving the problem.

Thank you for the reply. I agree while most of the time, if you know what youre doing with an eq, you should know if a curve is causing too much phase change. but similarly to an frequency analyzer, you really dont -need- it, but it does help when you feel there could be something going on. To make this clear, i wouldnt be using a phase change view to help me while im mixing, only for quick glance to assess if i may have gone too far - in accordance to my ears of coarse :) And knowing how much of one area has rotated tells me exactly the compliance / confliction i could be getting in said frequency area. If i see an area is flat i know i havnt affected that area much. Also just simply seeing the difference of phase change between the different filters, as... i have no clue. only for hp lp , bells, and shelves i have a good idea of how the phase change is shaped, but not these other fancy filters. there is a plugin called Mfreeformphase, which i can use to correct specific areas of phase change so seeing the phase change on the graph most definitely can give off useful information for decision making.

Im very excited to hear we are getting a mixed phase mode, this brightens my day thank you. Im assuming you may have checked out the kirchhoff eq? thats a good one to study for possible features, its got a lot of nice things going on.

I'm happy to inform you I just (finally) released v2.5 and it does have a phase change graph option. Adding the graph added quite some development time because it revealed some issues I didn't see before. The mixed phase mode in apQualizr2 does provide linear phase where possible, not just scaled phase like the one mentioned by you ;).

Pflugshaupt wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 pm I'm happy to inform you I just (finally) released v2.5 and it does have a phase change graph option. Adding the graph added quite some development time because it revealed some issues I didn't see before. The mixed phase mode in apQualizr2 does provide linear phase where possible, not just scaled phase like the one mentioned by you ;).
hope sale season is soon :love:

Return to “apulSoft”