DoubleDawg - woah! great find

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wow, this is the coolest 'upgrade' i've had in a long time

a thread in the RMS forum talked about a tool to help troubleshoot videocard-related audio problems, and it led me to this page.

This guy's product, DoubleDawg, shows you the PCI-bus latency of all the devices in your system, and lets you edit the values - normally windows takes control of these (regardless what you set in your mobo's bios)

although my system has always run rock solid, no problems recording, etc., i'm a hardware junkie so I read all this stuff, and tried out this guy's tool

on my machine, all pci-interfaced devices were reporting either 0-latency or 32ms latency....except my GeForce4 card, which was at 256ms latency :-o

now this is wierd as i can run doom3 in widescreen very damn well :)

it's important to note that this pci bus latency is different from the asio latency we associate with our audio cards. it doesn't mean that there's a 256ms lag from my vidcard when i send it an instruction. Instead, in this case, it basically means how long a device can 'hog' the bus, before another device can be polled

with higher latency, the bus can start to clog with instructions for the high-latency 'hogging' device, and this can effect other devices that utilize some part of the bus for communication....hence stuttering audio when your fancy GUI's fake VU meter needles start wagging around (in some cases anyway, i never had these problems on the current machine)

anyway, long story short time: I changed my vidcard's pci latency from 256 to 64 with the tool, and i was able to cut my asio latency in HALF without sacrificing stability and performance. I'm certain it was this change, as I have done many tests in the past to be certain that i've lowered my asio buffers as much as i can and still have a stable system. i just cut those figures in half 8)

this guy's tool is free, but you have to restart it each time you launch windows, and re-set the latency value.

he's got a version for $10 that sets it automatically for you at bootup time. I didn't even consider buying it, i went for the freebie....and was blown away by the results, so i went for the ten dollar splurge. bargain....best vst 'accessory' ever...go try it out, i think you'll be really happy you found this

not trying to spam the board or be a pimp or anything, i rarely make recommendations on anything, and never start threads pimping, but i've never heard this mentioned before and i'm really really glad i found it. just wanna share the luv yo ;)

Neato! I had 3 devices with latency... 32, 32, and 64 (the last being my vid. card).

I don't think I'll be needing this tweak, myself, but that was an interesting bit of insight and gives me another tool with which to help people trouble-shoot if their systems are messed!

Thanks for sharing.

i just had the program check my system.
my 3 devices, and their latencies, were:

32 = nForce2AGP Host to PCI Bridge
192 = DSP5630124-Bit Digital Signal Processor
248 = NV11GeForce2MX / MX 400

so...what do you think i should change the latter 2 to and how can i test to see if there is an improvement?

-ugo

I suspect you'll want to keep the 2nd one at 192. It's your DSP card, so it's OK if it hogs some resources, I'd imagine.

Greg

yep, if that's your asio card, let it be a bushog

the vidcard is taking too much time though, same as mine was

i set mine to 64, and i see a very big gain in asio performance

and no noticible change in video performance, still runs Doom3 just as well

have a GeForce4 here

Hey, very cool tip. Thanks Laser! :)

I've tried quite a few PCI latency tools, and this one is probably the best, loads the latencies on startup etc. Ignore the description, works with any card.

I've seen many people have problems with pops and clicks which can be fixed by tweaking these, especially with onboard SATA controllers (which are on the PCI bus) and as mentioned with graphics cards. this is a great source of info on the subject.

Aren´t most video cards AGP-cards today? :?
Andreas (I presume my forefathers were apes)

Image Listen to some Monkey-Music

indeed,but-
"I will note that the AGP device is on its own special superpowered PCI bus wired straight into the CPU and memory, but it does share some sort of resources with the PCI bus containing the sound card, which is why reducing its latency value can improve the sound performance on a music computer. "
from the doubledawg author...

:!:

I have both a Yamaha SW1000XG and a STAudio C-Port installed. They're both at 32ms. I guess this means having 2 cards slows 'em down.

My g550 vid card is at 64ms :)

I'll have to check the lappie too.

Would adjusting the "AGP aperture" in bios have any effect on system hogging by the video card? Options in my bios are: 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, and I'm currently on 256 but don't know what the implications are.

The best guide for general BIOS settings is here:

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

I won't bother pasting the AGP Aperature section in, but take a look :)

great link, thanks!

Chrisyboy wrote:I've tried quite a few PCI latency tools, and this one is probably the best, loads the latencies on startup etc. Ignore the description, works with any card.
Chrisboy,

I'm having the issue that in XP this tool refuses to load the settings on boo, it complains 'driver couldnt be loaded' - then I gotta open it, and hit apply manually. On Win2k its working fine, loading the settings on-boot and all.
Any ideas how to fix this?

thanks in advance

Markus

Thanks for the info.

The utility found 10 :shock: devices on my machine, but none of them being my soundcard.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”