Help with determining time signature

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have listened to this rendition probably 10 times, and I cannot sort out the time signature. Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/bA7OVQFUp2M

Sounds like 5/8.

Thanks! It just sounds very different from other 5/8 times I know. I know very little about theory or music structure, but this one really caught my attention.

I’m hearing 6/8. Listen to the hihats, it’s a recurring pattern on the 2nd and 3rd division (1-x-x 2-x-x). If it was 5/8, you’d hear that hihat pattern alternate between a single hit and two hits on the divisions (1-x 2-x-x or 1-x-x 2-x). It’s the syncopated snare on the 6th and 12th 16th-note subdivisions that throws the feel off, so if you can tune that out, you’ll hear 6/8 (well, at least I do)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Ask Yogev Gabay (Youtube)

I am 100% it isn't "6/8", and almost as certain it isn't 5/8.
IE: If we try to count 3/4, hard no, we are shaving a nontrivial chunk of time off that supposition to have what we have.

I would put it to a click in yer DAW @ 11/16 and see how close.
(I expect microrhythm happens whether they or the originator deliberated on it or not.)

Or ask Yogev, at channel = "Consuming RhythmTime", he loves this stuff.

Has to be the most interesting post ever here, because 1) this is original and 2) I cannot be sure by just hearing and assessment.

Return to “Music Theory”