List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Micromonsta 2 is a bi-timbral MPE synth.

I'm late to the party but I just watched a couple demos of the Vector and it looks totally mental (I've never seen the Animoog app in action though). It's like someone put a MAX patch into a desktop unit with a lot of actual knobs. Its routing table is interesting too, with control of scaling, inversion, etc. from source to target.

Yes, but uhoh7 is concerned about flexibly routing parameters, of which the MicroMonsta 2 has a few issues with, but can be worked around for common MPE expression. I assume they want as much flexibility as possible outside of typical MPE parameters, and therefore I provided a suggestion for the Deluge. They are discussing about "MPE-like" usage on multi-timbral synthesizers, which is why I mentioned the Elektron Digitone, and not the MicroMonsta 2.

I have changed the Invidious instance used for the Soulsby Atmultitron from ~vern to Esmail EL BoB.

I have added the Twisted-Electrons MEGAfm and its MKII variant as entries into the Desktop list, marking the former as discontinued and the latter as released. Here is what the manual has written for MPE:
MultiChannel MPE mode
MEGAfm has a special multichannel mode that allows you to control it with an MPE device with multichannel pitch bends, in this mode you can continuously bend each voice within up to 4 octaves.

Press arp mode button to toggle this special mode on or off. When the LED is on, MEGAfm is in normal single channel mode, when LED is off MPE mode is active. When you choose MPE mode, the pitch bend range is set to +/-48semi by default, you are free to change it before exiting setup.

IMPORTANT: MPE mode only uses poly12 voice mode at this time. The voice mode button won’t respond when MPE mode is active...
I have also added the Behringer UB-Xa as an entry into the Keyboard list, and marked its status as unreleased. Starting at 1:12 of Andertons' video about it:
Separate MPE pitch bend, filter, and matrix control over the lower and upper keyboards....

I have added the Empress Effects ZOIA as an entry to the Desktop list, and marked its status as released. You can use the ZS-40mpe patch to use MPE controllers with the device.

I have also added the DigiAuxine inc. Kaoline as an entry to the Other list, and marked its status as unreleased. This pending MPE controller contains an embedded internal synthesizer, allowing it to be used with other MPE controllers.

Lastly, I have moved several entries from the Rack list to the List of MPE Hardware Controllers thread, in the Interfaces list of the second post, as they do not synthesize sounds.
  • Endorphin.es Shuttle Control
  • Expert Sleepers FH-1 'faderHost'
  • Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
  • Polyend Poly 2
  • Snyderphonics MantaMate
  • Tubbutec µTune

The status of the Black Corporation XERXES MK2 has been changed from preorder to released, and the status of both the Aodyo Instruments Anyma Omega Desktop/Keyboard has been changed from unreleased to preorder.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Wed May 17, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have added the Waldorf M as an entry into the Desktop list, and marked its status as WIP. Quoted from Vladimir Salnikov on Gearspace:
MPE, probably would be possible after 1.10 - after planned change of the graphic engine.
With current graphic engine it's just not enough code ROM place to fit MPE functionality.

Greetings
Vladi
I have also rejected the inclusion of the AnalogFX SER-2020, as it is monophonic. The product description is misleading, and any mentions of MPE in this context can be replaced with MME instead.

Roger_Linn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:13 pm
FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 am They are missing because I deliberately chose to draw a line for MPE controllers, otherwise I would have listed the Expressive E Osmose as well. I have an unpublished but comprehensive list of MPE controllers and even some DIY Sensel Morph projects, but I do not know if Roger would approve of such content being hosted on the forum board, so I have withheld its release.
Thank you for your consideration, Frank. It’s fine with me to publish your list of MPE controllers here. In fact, I used to have my own list on my site but it was one of many pages that didn’t survive the cut when I had to build my new site some years back. I invite your list and any discussions of the relative merits of each instrument. My feeling is that the expressive instrument makers aren’t competing with each other but rather we all share a common goal of ridding the musical instrument world of on/off switches. A rising tide raises all boats.
And that attitude is why I own both the LinnStrument and LinnStrument 128.
I really appreciate the openness of your company.

I wish you much continued success!

I have added the UDO Audio Super Gemini as an entry into the Keyboard list, and marked its status as unreleased. There is no official product page for it just yet.

I will hold off updating this thread proper until SUPERBOOTH23 is over, then review all of the announcements thereafter.

OK got it, It's always better to wait for offical announcements and poduct pages before updating information on a public platform. So you can ensure that the information you share is accurate and up-to-date.

The UDO Audio Super Gemini has been officially announced, but there is no product page. Here is the press release.

UDO Audio does not update their website, if at all, but that might change with this upcoming product. Usually I update the thread preemptively so that I can keep track of products earlier. Once SUPERBOOTH23 is finished, I will at least have one less entry to be concerned about.

I have other entries on top of this as well, but I have not had time to prioritize them.

Erica Synths Steampipe polyphonic physical modelling synth at Superbooth 2023.
https://youtu.be/AvOwRjmwRxc
Still a prototype but they hope to have it available by the end of the year. Likely to be MPE?

In the video it is being played from an Aodyo Sylphyo wind-synth (and Sylphyo Link wireless receiver).

I found the video in a Facebook post (Wind Controllers / Wind Synthesizers).
The person who posted it, said that the Steampipe synth was "based on an old Reaktor plugin.".

Gromit42 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:24 pm Erica Synths Steampipe polyphonic physical modelling synth at Superbooth 2023.
https://youtu.be/AvOwRjmwRxc
Still a prototype but they hope to have it available by the end of the year. Likely to be MPE?

In the video it is being played from an Aodyo Sylphyo wind-synth (and Sylphyo Link wireless receiver).

I found the video in a Facebook post (Wind Controllers / Wind Synthesizers).
The person who posted it, said that the Steampipe synth was "based on an old Reaktor plugin.".
Not sure, along with the Modal Electronics CARBON8, Tasty Chips GR-MEGA, and maybe even the Beetlecrab Tempura. The only reason why I was certain about the UDO Audio Super Gemini earlier was because it has a physical MPE button. For now, we will have to wait until there are further details on these products.

I edited the entry for Vectorsynth Vector to Beetlecrab Vector, as that is the actual company name, and moved it higher on the Desktop list.

I have added Fred's Lab Töörö as an entry into the Desktop list, and marked it status as WIP. Here is what Frédéric Meslin said about it on Modwiggler:
Yes, an update with simplified MPE support is in preparation but the whole software development is on hold at the moment until the Manatee pre-production is set up.
Probably sometime in July / August.

I will not commit myself to a specific date as this kind of update needs some heavy work, with proper testing and all the supporting doc needs to be updated accordingly. The current state of the Töörö software is stable and feature complete so this update will be a bonus for the users.

It will also be a free update, so it's unpaid work for me and I usually do such activities in a "down time" such as the summer period.
Speaking of, I have added Fred's Lab Manatee as an entry into the Desktop list, and marked its status as unreleased. Once again, from Frédéric Meslin at Modwiggler:
The Manatee will support a reasonable subset of the MPE specification.
You will probably be able to select MPE in mono-timbral mode or the regular multi-timbral mode but not both at the same time.

Individual outputs per voice is out of the question, it's way too expensive and cumbersome to do on this architecture.
There are already two line buses available.
Lastly, I have added the Abstrakt Instruments VS-1 as an entry into the Rack list, and marked its status as unreleased. The Kickstarter sampaign was launched on January 14th, 2020, and the first milestone of MPE was reached in 5 days. It has yet to to be delivered since.

The Waldorf Quantum MK2's status has been changed from preorder to released.

Ableton Push 3 is out in both a standalone version and controller only version. MPE pads scarily similar to Linnstrument. My wallet just took a beating. I'm so excited for MPE Grid Instruments and just visibility for MPE control in general. With Ableton joining the MPE game I can truly see a future where MPE instruments/controllers are just as popular as guitars.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”