Any DAW for iOS that supports effect plugins?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is this possible to use third party plugins in any DAW on iOS? VST or AU or similar?

Hi - not 100% sure what you’re asking but there are many third party apps on the iPadOS/iOS AppStore that can be used in one of the iPadOS/iOS DAWs. Some really great developers like Bram Bos, etc. A small number of these apps can also be accessed from the Mac AppStore. There is the start of a list here but not sure how up to date it is https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=ios_ ... on_m1_macs

You cannot open VST/3 on iOS though. Many developers just create a new app equivalent on the AppStore like FabFilter, Toneboosters, etc. Pianoteq and IK have apps where you buy once in the desktop and get access on iOS. That’s currently quite rare though.

add. to what GusGranite said,

just seach in the iOS AppStore vor "AUv3" (Audio Unit Version 3, the Apple Plugin format) and you will find plenty of effect apps, e.g. from Eventide, Audio Damage or Bleass.

GusGranite wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:47 am Hi - not 100% sure what you’re asking but there are many third party apps on the iPadOS/iOS AppStore that can be used in one of the iPadOS/iOS DAWs. Some really great developers like Bram Bos, etc. A small number of these apps can also be accessed from the Mac AppStore. There is the start of a list here but not sure how up to date it is https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=ios_ ... on_m1_macs

You cannot open VST/3 on iOS though. Many developers just create a new app equivalent on the AppStore like FabFilter, Toneboosters, etc. Pianoteq and IK have apps where you buy once in the desktop and get access on iOS. That’s currently quite rare though.
I mean I have a Klevgrand plugin that I like, the format I have is AU or VST, that I use on my Mac OS. I would like to use it with iRig on my iPad 4. Any chance to use it? For example I download a DAW to the iPad, add the mentioned AU to it somehow (iTunes, etc.), and then I use it.

bencuri wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:40 pm
I mean I have a Klevgrand plugin that I like, the format I have is AU or VST, that I use on my Mac OS. I would like to use it with iRig on my iPad 4. Any chance to use it? For example I download a DAW to the iPad, add the mentioned AU to it somehow (iTunes, etc.), and then I use it.
in 99% of all times you need to buy the iOS version seperately from the Mac/Win version. Klevgränd only sells them seperately.

A note of wanring though: your iPad 4 supports up to iOS 10.3.3 and has a 32 bit-only architecture (A6). Most iOS apps have ended support for iOS 10 and especially for 32 bit apps (Apple's rule). The iOS App Store might _offer_ you to download a compatible version but mostly it will not work because Apple deleted all 32 bit apps. ( 10.3.3 was also the last iOS version that supported 32 bit apps).
So you might be out of luck anyway _even_ if you meet the minimum iOS requirements!
In the case of Klevegränd e.g. SquashIt will still run in iOS 9 while their newest Richter plugin requires iPadOS 13.

mindnoise wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:21 am
bencuri wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:40 pm
in 99% of all times you need to buy the iOS version seperately from the Mac/Win version. Klevgränd only sells them seperately.

A note of wanring though: your iPad 4 supports up to iOS 10.3.3 and has a 32 bit-only architecture (A6). Most iOS apps have ended support for iOS 10 and especially for 32 bit apps (Apple's rule). The iOS App Store might _offer_ you to download a compatible version but mostly it will not work because Apple deleted all 32 bit apps. ( 10.3.3 was also the last iOS version that supported 32 bit apps).
So you might be out of luck anyway _even_ if you meet the minimum iOS requirements!
In the case of Klevegränd e.g. SquashIt will still run in iOS 9 while their newest Richter plugin requires iPadOS 13.
I know it. That's why first of all I would like to find a DAW or Host that might support the computer AU file on the iPad 4. If anything like that exists at all. If there are no apps like that, I might consider getting a newer iPad version, but again, which app could hadle the AUv3 with iRig?

Here is one for example, it says it supports AU. But what does this mean? The computer AU can be loaded into it or AUv3?
https://synthyfrog.com/app/vector-3-exp ... nd-editor/

bencuri wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:07 am
I know it. That's why first of all I would like to find a DAW or Host that might support the computer AU file on the iPad 4. If anything like that exists at all. If there are no apps like that, I might consider getting a newer iPad version, but again, which app could hadle the AUv3 with iRig?
Then you are in for a new iPad as no such thing exists. And if you will take my further advice: avoid the iPad 9. Lightning-Port is being phased out.
Last edited by mindnoise on Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bencuri wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:11 am Here is one for example, it says it supports AU. But what does this mean? The computer AU can be loaded into it or AUv3?
https://synthyfrog.com/app/vector-3-exp ... nd-editor/
on iOS / iPaOS any mention of AU means AUv3.
As it was said before: in _some rare cases_ app version bought in the Mac App Store will work on the iPad. Moog Model 15 is on the 'roughly 10 apps' that allow this.

_Maybe_ with iOS 17, when Apple is forced to allow sideloading (aka installing apps that are not bought from the iOS App Store) this will change. But only time will tell.

Thanks for the clarification. I have purchased AUv3 versions of my favourite plugins already, so in this case I will aim for a new iPad. Do you have any recommendation for the app to use it with? It can be a simple Host, too, no DAW is needed every way. I just forgot about them when posting, that's why they are not mentioned in the title.

glad to help :)

I mean you can always try what works on your iPad 4.

Kymatica AUM Host is a save bet für processing audio and MIDI in live situation. It can also record but that's basically only to have a backup-recording.

Apple Garageband is also really good, esp since it's free. So give it a try.
Steinberg Cubasis 3 is also an easy recommendation for a full DAW.

Or Apple Logic Pro for the ultimo - for 5 bucks a month. You can try 1 month for free (can run on the iPad 10 and later)

AUM, Loopy Pro and Logic are great options depending on how you want your workflow. Logic Pro can potentially be the most economical one since it come with a large amount of high quality devices ready to go. I personally use AUM the most due to its simplicity to use AUv3s that I purchased along the way. Now if Apple ever allows the use of MacOS AU in iOS then things change radically, obviously..

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”