Cello/Viol playing 'attachment'

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

Here's a few photos of an attachment I made to permit playing the Linnstrument like a cello or viol. It is home-made, so a little 'rustic'; my upholstery skills aren't perfect, *grin*.

Mark
IMG_0987.jpeg
IMG_0978.jpeg
IMG_0977.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

During my earliest experimentations of the LinnStrument, I was using two guitar straps with it for all sorts of configurations. This position showcased in the photos was what I called "baby carriage". I remember the ergonomics being exceptionally brutal for playing compared to most other positions, because the arms have to really extend to reach the farthest columns, and unnatually compress with the nearest columns, among other major issues.

The aesthetics of the mod along with the plaid clothing and floral curtain match well though.

I am using both hands one on each side and as an ex-cellist I don't find the position 'brutal' at all.

Equiton wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:14 am I am using both hands one on each side and as an ex-cellist I don't find the position 'brutal' at all.
Alright, so how exactly do you play it? Based on your ex-cellist background, I can only assume a monophonic or duophonic style with up to two active fingers on the playing surface, similar to Max.

When I was experimenting with this specific position, I abandoned the idea of playing on the LinnStrument polyphonically using it, because each hand has different chord shapes when playing inverted as well as normally, which significantly complicated my learning process early on in my musical journey.

I can play chords etc, but not full piano music. I'm still learning the instrument in terms of 'performance', getting an 'evenness' of touch is hardest. Yes I do play monophonically or duophonically, but it's possible to play chords with either hand. Yes shapes are different, but I don't find that a problem, as I find shapes are different between L/R hands in any playing position, for obvious reasons.

The photo is slightly misleading, the actual placement is nearer the knees, which means the lowest column is about 1-2 inches under my chin so the instrument rests more like a viol than a cello.

I certainly don't suggest that this is _the_ way to play a Linnstrument. From my own experience I found the 'guitar' position least ergonomic for me.

Equiton wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:11 am I can play chords etc, but not full piano music. I'm still learning the instrument in terms of 'performance', getting an 'evenness' of touch is hardest. Yes I do play monophonically or duophonically, but it's possible to play chords with either hand. Yes shapes are different, but I don't find that a problem, as I find shapes are different between L/R hands in any playing position, for obvious reasons.
I understand. I have not really prioritized control of expression myself, as I am mostly concerned with timing and precision of pitch along with polyphony. I wish you good luck with your dedicated practice.

So is your layout also in 5th strings too, or do you prefer the default 4th strings?
Equiton wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:11 amThe photo is slightly misleading, the actual placement is nearer the knees, which means the lowest column is about 1-2 inches under my chin so the instrument rests more like a viol than a cello.
I assume the extended base is placed on or near the top of the kneecaps then? It also looks possible to use it under the knees, but I cannot imagine that to be as intended.
Equiton wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:11 amI certainly don't suggest that this is _the_ way to play a Linnstrument. From my own experience I found the 'guitar' position least ergonomic for me.
I also found that using the LinnStrument like a guitar was very awkward too, at least for playing chords and melodies simultaneously. It was fine for using just one hand for monophonic solos.

Equiton wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:14 am I am using both hands one on each side and as an ex-cellist I don't find the position 'brutal' at all.
There are a number of Chapman Stick players here. What you describe is not far off the classic 'Free Hands' Stick playing position, which is considered by many to be highly ergonomic. Most play 'crossed' , some (including me) play 'uncrossed'. Tunings vary - a lot! Stick players will also see your 'attachment' and immediately think of what we call a 'lap bar', e.g. as used by Greg Howard in this youtube video.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:34 am
So is your layout also in 5th strings too, or do you prefer the default 4th strings?

I assume the extended base is placed on or near the top of the kneecaps then? It
also looks possible to use it under the knees, but I cannot imagine that to be as intended.
I've tried various 'string' tunings, but oddly, I'm finding the tritone layout more useful, though yes, I've used 4ths and 5ths. For my microtonal work, I choose an 'offset' that is analogous to 12T tuning offsets.

As for the bar it's placed on the tops of the legs just behind the knees, legs slightly apart. I designed it to be curved to 'imitate' the shape of a viol and for comfort.

As a follow-up, I decided to try my 'other' idea for this. Anyone can make this one to try themselves. I made two loops (shoe-laces or similar or two strips of leather as I've done) put these over the two guitar-strap buttons, one loop per button. I then placed a wooden rod (in my test it's a ruler) through the loops. The rod rests on the tops of the legs and the Linnstrument hangs down on the loops in front of it.

This has the advantage of quick 'detatchment'.
IMG_1013.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Equiton wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 am I've tried various 'string' tunings, but oddly, I'm finding the tritone layout more useful, though yes, I've used 4ths and 5ths. For my microtonal work, I choose an 'offset' that is analogous to 12T tuning offsets.
How fascinating, I hope you found the tritone resources thread useful for your performances. I can understand if it is not very accomodating to your preferred playing position.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”