Argon8 vs Hydrasynth Explorer vs Micromonsta 2

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many people seem to have tried some or all of these. Which one of these plays the nicest with the Linnstrument?
Micromonsta is obviously the one without keys and takes the least amount of space, but the other ones are not really too big either. I don't really need portability. I've been watching lots of videos and they all seem great so deciding is hard!

All are currently available second hand in my country for more or less at similar price point.

This would be my first hardware synth but I've programmed some softsynths before.

Out of the three, the MicroMonsta 2 would be my suggestion, since they are very difficult to obtain second-hand. You can always get either or both of the other two if you do not like it.

I have had one myself, as it was my first MPE hardware synthesizer, and if you happen to have the LinnStrument (200), it is great practice for using it in a split configuration.

Argon 8m is always connected to my Linnstrument. This is the desktop model without keys.
It was born from the ground up to be MPE and does it like it should be done.
I haven't had to touch anything in setup once it was configured.
For me the sounds are more useful than MicroMonsta2.

So great to have so many MPE choices, I still think hardware is best for me.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:48 am Argon8m...For me the sounds are more useful than MicroMonsta2.
I very much like the Cobalt8m too. :D

Edit to add: I have both the Argon8M and the Cobalt8M. I'm delighted with both and very glad I don't need to choose between them (I have both connected to the Linnstrument and can have each doing proper MPE in its section of a split keyboard).
Last edited by DavidWS on Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Consider this another vote for the Argon 8M, and a nod to the fact that it does MPE proper.

:tu:

Cheers!

Thanks for the input everyone!

As is usually the nature of these threads, I went with the one nobody mentioned haha :D

I will probably end up trying them all at some point, but right now Hydrasynth excites me the most.

For what it’s worth:
A few years back, I ordered an Argon8. I played it for a couple of hours and then packed it up and returned it. The most lifeless and sterile sounding synth I have ever layed my hands on. Got a Hydrasynth instead, and was instantly pleased. (Also the architecture is incredibly intuitive for such a relatively complex synth.)

The Hydrasynth was put out of work recently though, as Bitwig snuck into my hardware setup and overtook both sequencing and several sound responsibilities.

LarsDaniel wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:32 am For what it’s worth:
A few years back, I ordered an Argon8. I played it for a couple of hours and then packed it up and returned it. The most lifeless and sterile sounding synth I have ever layed my hands on. Got a Hydrasynth instead, and was instantly pleased. (Also the architecture is incredibly intuitive for such a relatively complex synth.)

The Hydrasynth was put out of work recently though, as Bitwig snuck into my hardware setup and overtook both sequencing and several sound responsibilities.
Nice to hear!
Yeah I wanted to get it to mainly for learning more about synthesis and patching. It seems to pack a crazy amount of function in it.

Bitwig is the bees knees, I've been using it for a couple of years now. Also with the Expressions modulator you can just make any VST a MPE synth. Basically endless possibilities with that daw.

A few years back, I ordered an Argon8. I played it for a couple of hours and then packed it up and returned it. The most lifeless and sterile sounding synth I have ever layed my hands on. Got a Hydrasynth instead, and was instantly pleased.
I'm curious what you're basing this on, Lars?

I mean, they're both just digital wavetable synths. I've used both, and found them equally capable of producing warm, organic sounds. In fact, I use the Argon mostly for virtual analog sounds. Indeed, in could be said that Modal established their reputation on VA modeling.

When you employ the Argon's "Vintage" parameter, a little LFO, some pan spread, and the right oscillator modifiers and effects...

I'm no loyalist when it comes to synths, and I just did some sound design for a project, wherein there was call for some deep saw-wave pads, and the Argon managed to out-brass the Prophet 6 for that frothy Vangelis vibe.

No word a lie. :wink:

Cheers!

John the Savage wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:48 pm
A few years back, I ordered an Argon8. I played it for a couple of hours and then packed it up and returned it. The most lifeless and sterile sounding synth I have ever layed my hands on. Got a Hydrasynth instead, and was instantly pleased.
I'm curious what you're basing this on, Lars?

I mean, they're both just digital wavetable synths. I've used both, and found them equally capable of producing warm, organic sounds. In fact, I use the Argon mostly for virtual analog sounds. Indeed, in could be said that Modal established their reputation on VA modeling.

When you employ the Argon's "Vintage" parameter, a little LFO, some pan spread, and the right oscillator modifiers and effects...

I'm no loyalist when it comes to synths, and I just did some sound design for a project, wherein there was call for some deep saw-wave pads, and the Argon managed to out-brass the Prophet 6 for that frothy Vangelis vibe.

No word a lie. :wink:

Cheers!
I kind of get that you question my words about Argon, and it is hard to say now, what actually happened when I played with it. I am absolutely not a synth purist in any way: If it sounds good, it is good. But I remember thinking that the filter was particularly dull sounding. And I was for some reason distincly unimpressed with the sound. Contrary to what happened for me with the Hydrasynth.
Just my highly subjective experience, which might have changed if I had spent more than a few hours with it, but instead I decided to go with my gut feeling and put it back in the box.
It is very likely that it is a fine synthesizer.

Well, for the record, the Hydrasynth is an amazing machine, with a brilliant user-interface.

To that end, all things being equal sonically, I chose the Argon for its form-factor.

Otherwise, I'd have been happy with either.

Cheers!

I didn't love the Micromonsta 2. After a couple of months I let another person take ownership. I could coax some usable stuff from it no doubt but I found myself either making the same one good sort of stringy pad patch over and over, or just not liking other patches I made - like everything came close but didn't quite get all the way. Everything is sort of hinting at unrealized potential, the wavetables are not interesting (to me), the FM is too limited in scope (I think), etc. I haven't played the Argon8m, I have spent just a few hours with the Hydrasynth and it sounded marvellous and felt good to use which adds to the appeal I think subconsciously, tricks me in to sounding better because I've already decided it's good. But it actually is good :)

Had the hydrasynth and micromonsta 2- didn't keep either but may end up with a hydrasynth again some day... perhaps. The MM2 was too fussy in getting what I wanted mpe wise (pressure to vca) and used up to many mod slots, otherwise it was a decent synth and had a nice form factor. Didn't love the hydrasynth sound but it's a terrific synth and has a very good interface for the way I work.

Noone mentions the modor nf1(m) anymore - that's a superb synth for mpe... Kept my 'm' version over the hydrasynth in the end, though that's likely on the chopper now too.

t-IB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:40 pm No one mentions the modor nf1(m) anymore - that's a superb synth for mpe... Kept my 'm' version over the hydrasynth in the end, though that's likely on the chopper now too.
Modor say that the Modor NF1m is "Out Of Production".
https://www.modormusic.com/nf1m.html

Gromit42 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:36 pm
t-IB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:40 pm No one mentions the modor nf1(m) anymore - that's a superb synth for mpe... Kept my 'm' version over the hydrasynth in the end, though that's likely on the chopper now too.
Modor say that the Modor NF1m is "Out Of Production".
https://www.modormusic.com/nf1m.html
It is, though the bigger one (nf1) isn't. My only gripe with it is the limited number (imo) of modulation slots, otherwise it's gold.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”