Writing Dub, How Do You write Dub?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems that dubbing is generally done with a fully written track and the producer then mixes the song with all the cool fx afterwards. To people making this kind of music, is that your preferred method? O do you mix as you compose? Thanks

Full song and dubbing is in the mix. I do the dub live though, if you’re using automation without hands on control then you can do it however you like, whatever works.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:04 pm It seems that dubbing is generally done with a fully written track and the producer then mixes the song with all the cool fx afterwards. Thanks
That's how I do it ...

Do you write with dubs in mind? I suppose given that the music is very spacious (as opposed to spacey, which comes later) that takes care of itself?

I have created songs strictly for dubbing, but it doesn’t affect how I’d create the track. I carry thru like normal and dub it after, I just know at the time that it’s going to be an instrumental dub. Some of the riddims have ended up with vocals on them later when a singer hears it and likes it, but I didn’t necessarily have that in mind when I created the music.

Return to “Production Techniques”