Architect: Random questions

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There doesn’t seem to be a good place to ask random questions about how architect works so thought I’d start one.

To kick off: the switch module. Why doesn’t it respond to true/ false inputs, only integers? This requires extra modules when used with a comparison or logic module. In most other programming environments true/ false is treated as 1/0.

Ultimately am trying to get to an if/ else statement which can be done with comparisons and switches. But the lack of support for true/ false, just adds complexity to the patch.

Another random thought.

It would be great to have option for the print console to be in table format rather than just a long list. I am often tracking 3 or 4 variables and want to see how they are changing relative to each other. At the moment the print console is a lot of white space.

I think Colin said the switches will use true-false in the next version .
Try using the branch module instead (which uses true-false )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Hi.
Any idea how could Exponential moving average be made in Arch?
And related q - could not be Midi out be more precise by consecutively divided it by 10 and put it together say f. e. in Bitwig Grid.

22.33 44.55 - so one would just add these value and could get six digits (resp 8 without 2 decimals) value (these are max values in BW Grid)... thats is also pretty enough for audio in Hz..

I am not a big fan of Midi ticks.. I mostly - in the end - need streaming value.

Just to clarify, you mean this type of exponential moving average? https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/ema.asp

From a quick glance, it doesn't look like it'd be too tricky to build. Unless I'm misreading, it's similar enough to a leaky integrator. If no-one else has one already pre-built, I'd be happy to have a go.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

It used to be in Bitwig - https://github.com/zezic/bitwig-device-hacks - some guy made it in BW language Nitro, but devs no longer allow to use it and I did not have a chance to test it. :x :wink:
So ve never used it, but I guess it could also serve as Envelope Follower which I did not see in Arch.
So yep link is correct.

I am looking for smoothing and expanding midi, so I can use curves and modulation... Thomas Hanze was talking about it, he sound confident, that signal from midi can be streamlined from jitters.. 8)

EDDIT: But maybe forget about EMA, and if you could give insight into AZZIN´s Musinum and its Attractors (every two months few paragraphs) - so users can also get feel for Arch.
I think also double compound pendulum is based on it, and if it gets complex harmonic motion, it can be musically interesting and will have look on this and try it on synths and fxs..
It also use derivates, so once one grab it, he could use Kepler´s harmonic laws - he named it harmonic, cause he think it has musical potential and he was suggesting notation for that.. it would be nice bonus..

Anyway AZZIN already gave a big free lunch to all of us, so IMHO u own him .. 8)

Banned wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:07 am But maybe forget about EMA, and if you could give insight into AZZIN´s Musinum and its Attractors...
Yes, good idea. I'll do a deconstruction and write up (once I've got to grips with the algorithm myself!)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:00 am
Banned wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:07 am But maybe forget about EMA, and if you could give insight into AZZIN´s Musinum and its Attractors...
Yes, good idea. I'll do a deconstruction and write up (once I've got to grips with the algorithm myself!)
Big big thnx ..
He w/ Arch changed the way I view music 180°and so big thnx is also to you! - an I think he is one the pillars of Arch and we hardly can ask him more.. :wink: ....

Elementary q: Arch have 960 ppq - If I got it right in 127 (Deephouse) tempo, smallest unit in Arch will be 0,49 ms. Isn´t this btw Midi clock timing 40?
I think somebody was asking for that, but if I change time signature to 1/8 - nothing will change right? - it ain´t cheap trick how to double midi precision, isn´t it? 8)

Plugdata have I think 64 samples control rate, that made one tick. But I saw recently setting plugdata Array according to sample rate - typically 44100 Hz - that would mean resolution 1,4 ms, which is unlikely since metro use 1 ms as base unit (and this dubious calculation would mean, that higher sample rate would have worse resolution...)
I guess u can change the control rate by setting higher bang frequency, but not sure how much it will help when the signal routed to DAW..
I think Reactor can go up to 0,3 ms.. 3200Hz
What is difference between control rate and MIDI clock timing?
And any idea how MIDI resolution of DAW - I ve heard that BW for midi has 24 PPQN.. that sound like pretty jittery curve..

Thnx...

Banned wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:23 pm Elementary q: Arch have 960 ppq - If I got it right in 127 (Deephouse) tempo, smallest unit in Arch will be 0,49 ms. Isn´t this btw Midi clock timing 40?
I think somebody was asking for that, but if I change time signature to 1/8 - nothing will change right? - it ain´t cheap trick how to double midi precision, isn´t it? 8)

Plugdata have I think 64 samples control rate, that made one tick. But I saw recently setting plugdata Array according to sample rate - typically 44100 Hz - that would mean resolution 1,4 ms, which is unlikely since metro use 1 ms as base unit (and this dubious calculation would mean, that higher sample rate would have worse resolution...)
I guess u can change the control rate by setting higher bang frequency, but not sure how much it will help when the signal routed to DAW..
I think Reactor can go up to 0,3 ms.. 3200Hz
What is difference between control rate and MIDI clock timing?
And any idea how MIDI resolution of DAW - I ve heard that BW for midi has 24 PPQN.. that sound like pretty jittery curve..

Thnx...
Reaktor control-event rate can be as high as you want (44Khz) when you're building in core , and or you can convert audio to event by using the event perm module , see screenshot .(upper event ate of 20Hz , lower event rate of 44 Khz )
But , as you said LFO's can not run higher then max event rate of 3200HZ , which is why I never use even based fo's , use Osc's instead .
My cirklon 2 has a lower ppqn compared to architect and it's still rock solid , perhaps you're overthinking things too much .
Architect 960 ppqn is perfectly fine for midi duties .
And here you see an lfo created in architect , send to cv out ( which means it's now an audio signal ) runing at 96Hz
You will have overtones becasue of the limited event rate (ppqn)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Doing smth similar in Pd (quit BW grid last week))...
Can u share a patch, please.. ? :tu:
And even better can u put few words to it, I used Arch little recently so some reminders would be really very appreciated. :wink:
It looks like (what I propose a years ago) a typical Phase ramp - that allow easy trigger and use goniometric and polynomials.
Even single one exponent is huge move forward from traditional envelopes.
When we r talking about overthinking - the patch looks like damn a lot hassles for just looping +0. ..1., resp use Ramp (like Phasor in Pd) or simple Vline..

That is also why I was looking for smallest unit - because it is basically first thing u have to do.. 8)

EDIT: I did it for Attack, Decay, Sustain (without note-one) and Release in any root/ power - convex/ concave shape - no more one directional bending! :party:
- it is on https://sigsaly.xf.cz/pd-array/ - but order of signal is crazy - I ve tried simpler way, but it did not worked..

And BTW Thanx a lot for sharing the patch... :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Loomer”