NPRN Question

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm trying to use a Morningstar MC8 foot controller to send CC/NPRN messages to my Linnstrument--referencing the midi.txt from GitHub.

An example:
I press a switch and it sends all these CC messages through the DIN MIDI ports.
(Arp +1 Oct)
CC99 = 118
CC98 = 109
CC6 = 1
CC38 = 1
CC101 = 127
CC100 = 127

I haven't had any luck. Am I doing something wrong? I've troubleshot the midi output configurations.

Sidenote:
I've been trying to use Geert Bevin's "sendmidi" project, I'm a noob to coding and I'm using windows, so I'm lost at the readme and youtube tutorial.

Warmly,
Juan

Not sure why you'd want to do that. Normally you'd use the foot controller to control your soft synths or hardware synths not the Linnstrument directly. The Linnstrument is a controller just like the foot controller.

Can you be more specific to what you're trying to accomplish?

Ah, I understand. My intentions are kinda pedestrian.

I'm trying to figure out how to control the linnstrument with the MC8 controller--ultimately to send 'activate preset' messages with a single button on the MC8 (to go between normal linn scale and 8x8 drum pad with row offset and lighting).

Just to start, I'm trying to figure out how to press the +OCT setting on the linn's arpeggiator with an external message--since that doesn't have control via footswitch or low-row.

My question is mainly about formatting/ how the CC to NPRN conversion works on the linn.
--It is also possible to send Sysex messages on the MC8 so I might look into that.

Thanks

You might consider sending Program Change messages from the MC8 instead.
Things like octave are better controlled by the software instrument, not through Linnstrument.

You could send an NRPN to select one of the 6 "All Settings" memories in the Preset screen. These 6 memories save the entire state of LinnStrument.

Also, you might find it easier to debug NRPN messages if you start by sending and receiving them from a computer instead of your foot controller. Then once you know that works, you could simply program your foot controller to send exactly the same messages.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”