are the "previous" and "next" preset change buttons MIDI mappable in the "normal" way?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am on the latest (2.0) version of Blue Cat Axiom. In fact I upgraded to version 2 hoping that it would solve this issue (it hasn't, yet).

I am running it as a plugin in Reaper.

I want to able to switch presets with my MIDI foot controller using left and right arrow buttons at the top of the main screen (hover texts are "previous preset" and "next preset").

I AM able to control this via my foot pedal if I do "show control settings" > click the green down arrow button below the left or right arrow button, then selecting "MIDI Learn".

HOWEVER, I would like to also use my foot controller to controller a separate looper plugin I have. In Reaper, one can use "param" button to Learn a control in the plugin. In fact Reaper recommends this as the best way to map MIDI commands to plugin parameters (contrasted to the "show control settings" method above). When set up this way, one can control *when* a CC message is sent to a plugin by whether that track is selected, or if that plugin is in the foreground. This way I can send CCs to Axiom when its highlighted, and when I have the looper highlighted, I can send my CCs there instead (making use of the limited buttons on my foot controller).

I've tried that and it works with most of the Axiom parameters. However, the previous and next buttons -- are they implemented in the same way? I cannot seem to find the parameter names for these buttons in Reaper. Reaper's learn function has an ability to see what you touched last in the plugin, and use that for the parameter it targets. But whether I touch the previous or the next button for this, the parameter name is the same -- "FW 35" -- moreover, it doesn't do anything.

Are the parameters for previous and next button implemented in MIDI in a "normal" way or are they special?

I hope that all makes sense.

To recap: I'm trying to control both my looper plugin and my Axiom plugin within Reaper using the same foot pedal buttons for each. What it controls should be linked to whichever plugin's track is selected. I'm able to set this up in Reaper, but the previous and next buttons need to have a parameter name that Reaper can target. Are these buttons in fact targetable by Reaper's Learn ability, or is the only way to control them with MIDI via the Axiom's "control settings"?

Thanks,
Shiraz

The previous and next preset functions are indeed not implemented via parameters exposed to the host but directly with MIDI, so you will not be able to use the same principle as with other parameters. Maybe there is a way for Reaper to actually send MIDI to the plug-in in a similar conditional way?

Thank you for your answer. It's affirming to know that I'm not missing something.

Reaper is super flexible and there probably is a way to do it. I'm pretty new to it. I'll work on it.

Blue Cat Axiom rocks!! Thank you for it.

:tu:

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”