The correct way to do double/ triple/ quad tracking in Shreddage 3

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello everyone

Well, I was trying to quadtracking in Shreddage 3 as impact soundworks says to do:

https://faq.impactsoundworks.com/articl ... eneral-faq (https://faq.impactsoundworks.com/article/41-shreddage-3-general-faq)

And the result was a disaster, with countless phase cancellations between tracks.

So I wondered if there was a way to do quadtracking with a single instance of Shreddage 3 setting 4 different mono channels inside it instead of opening four instances and assigning each one a channel.

After several attempts I got it with quadtracking sounding perfect and without problems.

So I wanted to share the method to achieve this with all of you, something I have achieved by chance.

So, you have to do the following:

-First of all you must to have at least two stereo channels and four mono channels set beforehand in the general Kontakt outputs. I am going to assign them for the example like this: st.1, st. 2, mo.2, mo.3, mo.4, mo.5 (st = stereo, mo = mono)

-Once this has been verified, open a Kontakt instance, load a single Shreddage 3 instrument

-Go to the general outputs of Kontakt and in st.1 remove the channels assigned by default, which would be something like audiochannels 2, ch#1 st.1 (1) for left channel and ch#2 st.2 (2) for right channel. Then you have to change this, in audiochannels set 4, and assign the 4 mono channels, it would be ch#1 mo.2, ch#2 mo.3, ch#3 mo.4 and ch#4 mo.5, I talk in this example

-Once this is done inside the DAW, go to the VST instruments section, go to the Kontakt instance and in the outputs only activate the four mono channels, not stereo them

-Then, go into the Shreddage 3 instrument, go to the "console" section, there you will find two sound busses with their respective faders, one will be called "bridge" and the other "master", well, in the so-called "bridge" " there is a black square that says "DEF" and below some words, "out", well, click on the black square DEF and choose the stereo channel where we assign the 4 mono channels, in the case of this example "st.1 ", and a 1 will appear in the square, the number of the stereo channel

-After this, theres is a part of the Shreddage 3 instrument at the top where appear a image of a wrench and the initials ISW big in a squear, next to it there is a rectangle with instrument options, on the right you will see a tab with the image of a photo camera and next to it another one with an "i" inside a circle, click on that tab and in the new options that will appear in the rectangle click on output and choose any other stereo channel different to we have including the four mono channels, which in this case was st.1, so here you have to assign a different one, for example st.2

-Then, go to the "main" section of the instrument and four small images of guitars will appear in the center where it says multi-tracking, click on the four to activate it, the image will light up

-To the left of there is the "anti-repetition" option, you have to turn it off

And voila! There are four different mono channels to do quadtracking with a single Shreddage 3 instrument without phase problems and sound perfect

I have given quadtracking as an example because you will see, depending on what we want to do, whether double-tracking, triple-tracking or quadtracking, we will create from the beginning only the mono channels that are necessary because the instrument, in my opinion, assigns channels them differently, so for quadtracking it would be 4 mono channels and panning in the DAW, for example:

Channel mo.2 = L100
Channel mo.3 = L50
Channel mo.4 = R50
Channel mo.5 = R100

For triple-tracking, we'll create three mono channels, and pan in the DAW:

Channel mo.2 = L100
Channel mo.3 = R100
Channel mo.4 = R20

For double-tracking, two mono channels, panning:

Channel mon.2 = L50 less/more
Channel mon.3 = R50 less/more

When you disconnect the images of guitars 1-2-3-4 in the multitracking option, the double effect between channels disappears and when you turn it on it will appear again, I mean, if you are doing double-tracking and you only have guitar 1 of the multitracking option activated the same guitar will sound on both channels, L and R, and you will get a mono sound and therefore there is no double effect, but if you activate the image of guitar 2 then two different guitars will sound on each side and you will get the double effect.

But we may be interested, for example, in playing the same guitar on all channels to do layering or parallel processing techniques, for example on a Shreddage 3 electric bass, we create three channels where the same bass sound and in one we assign a DI vst, in another a virtual vst bass amp and in another a vst guitar amp and mixing the three we get a bigger and fuller unique sound.

I hope all this is helpful to you

All the best

Return to “Impact Soundworks”