Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Softube Modular

It's only going 1 layer deep, it's really easy and you don't need to understand monark insides...all the presets work as usual, it's pretty cool

Nice. :)

FTR: Here's the procedure: viewtopic.php?p=5954229#p5954229

flurp wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:07 am Hi

Did anyone make a polyphonic Moog with the Model 72 modules ?
Would love to hear it.
Yes, a four voice. But it doesn't sound as good, as you might think. I used the Ableton Live macros to control the patch.

I think there are better alternatives for polyphonic analog sound in software, TAL-J-8 is a great choice for example.

live-four-voice.jpg
moog-four-voice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rastkovic on Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reason can be that the full harmonic content of each voice is battling with the others and created a muddy, dissonant sound porridge.

Octaves, fifths and fourths works great, but minor/major chords don't really.

For polyphony/paraphony in Softube Modular, the Model 84 oscillators would be my first choice.

Same effect with guitar amp distortion:
best sound only with power chords aka octave plus fifth.

Softube Modular is on sale right now in case somebody missed it. Still 48 hours I think.

This thing is an absolute tonal beast! Whatever Softube is doing, it's not what other companies are doing. This thing sounds absolutely unique.

The workflow seems to be a complete pain in the ass though. Anybody know how to scroll the various screens quicker than with a mouse scroll wheel? It's suuuuper slow and takes like 10 full rotations of my scroll wheel to get to the bottom of the module select list. Also is there really no way to disable modules that I don't own? I desperately need the list to become smaller for convenience sake.

Anyhow, here is a quick little audio demo of the first sound I made. It's just a simple bass/lead thing but man does it pack a punch!! Probably way too huge to fit in any mix but it's damn fun to play.

ST Modular, Raw Power bM (Google Drive link, mp3 , 357kb)

Good luck making Cherry Modular sound like that. :hihi:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

i have to agree with you... sounds fabulous but a real pain to work with... especially on a smallish 1080p screen lol

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

I'm selling mine with 13 expansions (almost all of them I think) - love the sound but I just can't understand modular synthesis at all - have tried with Softube and also Reaktor and finally given up. I dont mind the interface for Softube, its more the absolute fundamental notions of modular cv systems that will remain a mystery to me forever lol

Cant deny the quality of the sound tho - worst case I keep it as a slightly tweaked preset machine which would not be that bad and has me thinking I might play around with it tonight

Softube Modular does sound great and is both a PITA to use and pretty ugly (the modules don't seem to line or or look right next to each other), needs a facelift! VCV2 is better in most respects, but if you have a few of the softube synth having them as modules is pretty cool, be even cooler if they were modules you could use in VCV!

I'm not sure the ecosystem is doing well however, when was the last time they launched a module that wasn't one of their sysnths? It started out quite promising with the Buchla and 4ms stuff, then just nothing!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:35 am Softube Modular does sound great and is both a PITA to use and pretty ugly (the modules don't seem to line or or look right next to each other), needs a facelift! VCV2 is better in most respects, but if you have a few of the softube synth having them as modules is pretty cool, be even cooler if they were modules you could use in VCV!

I'm not sure the ecosystem is doing well however, when was the last time they launched a module that wasn't one of their sysnths? It started out quite promising with the Buchla and 4ms stuff, then just nothing!
agree re nothing new, on the other hand it is a very complete system that I doubt someone who had the cv modular brain style would exhaust too quickly. There is virtue in limits as well - dont fall into the trap of trying module after module rather than having plenty to actually learn and use properly - which my brief run with VCV taught me.
Bottom line is the sound but there are no end of synths and effects outside the modular world that sound fantastic too

I just wish they updated the workflow. It's extremely poorly done. Like they weren't even trying to cater to people who actually want to create complex presets and setups.

No wonder it got neglected as I can very well imagine a lot of people demoing this product and never purchasing it.

Just the basics of scrolling around the modular area and the module browser is so poorly done that it just boggles the mind. Softube is a very weird company in that way. They make some awesome sounding products but quite often their usability or forced limitations are just bizarre.

So yeah, I'm purchasing this with the attitude that this is it.. they'll never update it again. I'm willing to live with the horrible usability simply due to the sheer audio quality and uniqueness of the sound. I'll never patch up anything super complex as it would be extremely frustrating. I'll probably buy VCV2 for those purposes at some point, maybe even this november if it goes on sale.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Welcome to the joy and pain of Softube Modular. VCV does have some nice filters and IMHO is much better suited for polyphonic anything. With the VST add on you could run ST mod inside VCV.

bmanic wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:31 pm I just wish they updated the workflow. It's extremely poorly done. Like they weren't even trying to cater to people who actually want to create complex presets and setups.

No wonder it got neglected as I can very well imagine a lot of people demoing this product and never purchasing it.

Just the basics of scrolling around the modular area and the module browser is so poorly done that it just boggles the mind. Softube is a very weird company in that way. They make some awesome sounding products but quite often their usability or forced limitations are just bizarre.

So yeah, I'm purchasing this with the attitude that this is it.. they'll never update it again. I'm willing to live with the horrible usability simply due to the sheer audio quality and uniqueness of the sound. I'll never patch up anything super complex as it would be extremely frustrating. I'll probably buy VCV2 for those purposes at some point, maybe even this november if it goes on sale.
Hold up homie, DM me if you wanna pay less with me as im selling my modular plus expansions

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:14 pm VCV does have some nice filters and IMHO is much better suited for polyphonic anything.
Modular and polyphony is a dead end, it doesn't make really sense. Take a polyphonic synth with a good mod matrix and you have the same possibilities. It is nice to build a poly synth with Softube Modular, because of the sound, but that's the only reason.

And yes, VCV has some nice Cytomic filters, but it still lacks of (very) good oscillators and VCAs....

Return to “Instruments”