Native instruments guitar rig pro 7

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:40 am TH-U does not do everything that Guitar Rig does, which is a pretty sweet effects and glitch suite with awesome modulation possibilities
Get DS Audio Tantra 2 as well then, and save money

As I recall TH-U Overloud is the same developers as the highly regarded SimulAnalog Guitar suite.
It's real component modelling.

I ran the GuitarSuite and Twin and Marshall were very useful back then.

Running Izotope Trash v1 a lot 20 years ago, I found that dist circuit had very little impact on sound compared to BoxModels. Just wonder if just speakers and cabinets are more important these days too.

Swapped to physical tube amps 15 years ago though, so not updated on the most modern amp sims.

Came half way, I felt with tube pre amp a Damage Control Womanizer, a little better.

But heard good things about Magix Vandal and TH-U Overloud if to try something today.

lfm wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:33 pm Running Izotope Trash v1 a lot 20 years ago, I found that dist circuit had very little impact on sound compared to BoxModels. Just wonder if just speakers and cabinets are more important these days too.
I often run files from the tone section from Trash 2, together with cab IRs, in IR loaders, just to add some colour to them. They don't sound much on their own, and I suppose they are meant to simulate static noise or other usually not desireable sounds, I find a tiny amount added to a cab IR sometimes adds to the sound though

Well here's a development. I can't get it to run on my basic Windows 10 setup. WTF? My build has all the necessary requirements, but it just crashes every time.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:05 pm Well here's a development. I can't get it to run on my basic Windows 10 setup. WTF? My build has all the necessary requirements, but it just crashes every time.
If anyone butts up against this issue, I found that deleting the Guitar Rig 7 folder here fixes it.

C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The changelogs say to open it in standalone for the first time. It scans for presets so maybe that doesn't play well with the plugin version (I'm guessing things like AU validation cause trouble).

lfm wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:33 pm As I recall TH-U Overloud is the same developers as the highly regarded SimulAnalog Guitar suite.
It's real component modelling.

I ran the GuitarSuite and Twin and Marshall were very useful back then.

Running Izotope Trash v1 a lot 20 years ago, I found that dist circuit had very little impact on sound compared to BoxModels. Just wonder if just speakers and cabinets are more important these days too.

Swapped to physical tube amps 15 years ago though, so not updated on the most modern amp sims.

Came half way, I felt with tube pre amp a Damage Control Womanizer, a little better.

But heard good things about Magix Vandal and TH-U Overloud if to try something today.
I've been doing this a long time, real amps and sims, and IMO, most modern stuff is just good, but a few stick out as a bit above the rest, IMO. I wouldn't have put Guitar Rig in that category until now, but I feel they've really come a long way in v6 and 7.

Of the all-in-one plugins, and by that I mean something that gives you a wide variety of effects, amps, and cabs, I'd say the best are...

Amplitube 5
Helix Native
Guitar RIg 6, but especially 7

There are also a lot of more compact plugins, like the Neural DSP emulations, that are great, but I don't like that sort of confined style. I like to try things like putting a Mesa 4x12 slant cab on a cranked Princeton to see what that sounds like (good!) and I don't want to have to start loading up other plugins to do it.
Zerocrossing Media

Neural DSP seems very costly as well, each amp $100+ and such. Might be bundles there somewhere.

Overloud more like Fuse software to my Fender Superchamp X2, throw in some stomp boxes and stuff and upload to hardware.
- but Overloud maybe overdid it, if it was over 50 tube variants, and voltages to these and whatnot

Software has a tendency to give so many options that you are stuck just making choices.
- when moving from hdd portastudio to computer this happend too

I think Avid Eleven Rack had something like that too. That you can bring over on hardware.
- best of two worlds
- heard good things about it, but don't know if in production anymore

I guess Quad Cortex, Kemper, AXE FX and these too, but another league in price tag.

lfm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:50 pm Neural DSP seems very costly as well, each amp $100+ and such. Might be bundles there somewhere.
Neural DSP is one of the best developers, but I don’t own any them because their price per model is super high, and flexibility per plugin, low.
I guess Quad Cortex, Kemper, AXE FX and these too, but another league in price tag.
I’ve owned a Kemper and an AxeFX, and I believe that unless you need something that is portable and flexible that doesn’t require a computer, they are not any better sounding than the best modern plugin modelers.
Zerocrossing Media

Finally, got GR7. And... It's nice! I like new amps. Dist Kolor is one the best (not just only for guitar). As lofi guy, I really love new lofi-ish fx's. Signal flow is great addition for split mixing. I hope they will update GR7 with new stuff in the future!

I got this last night ($45 upgrade at Plugin Boutique). I have only had a few hours to check it out, but here are initial impressions:

It's hard to make comparisons on the ICM amps because they aren't full replacements of the older amps. The Hot Solo+ and Superfast appear to be similar Soldano models, but the new ICM vox is an AC 15 compared to the older AC Box based on an AC 30. The old Fender is based on a Twin. I'm not sure what the new ICM model is based on but since it doesn't have a control for mids, probably something else. They are an improvement but maybe not as much as one might expect.

As for drives, I'm not a fan of the Seattle Fuzz. It's a bit dark and mushy (which may be the point; if so not for me). I wasn't crazy about the IVP Stomp either. The Chainsaw was good for kind of stupid distortion and the Skreamer Deluxe was an improvement on its predecessor. Kolor didn't work out as a stompbox, but then it seems like it's more of an effect to degrade other material. I haven't had a chance to use it for that purpose yet.

I also haven't had the chance to test out the impulse loader. Oddly as I was scrolling through presets I did not run into any presets that used it. There seem to be an awful lot of new presets.

The tape wobble and vintage vibrato are both nice effects on guitar.

There's also a noise generator. The interesting thing about this is that you can have it triggered to generate noise based on the envelope of the sounds you are feeding it, so that it will come in only when you are playing. Alternately you could have it on in the background and duck as you are playing.

Overall it's a nice update but if I didn't get it at the BF price I would have been content waiting until the next Komplete upgrade.

Magic Russ wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:12 am I got this last night ($45 upgrade at Plugin Boutique).
Best price I find there is $74. How did you get it for $45? :o
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

poonna wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:12 am
Magic Russ wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:12 am I got this last night ($45 upgrade at Plugin Boutique).
Best price I find there is $74. How did you get it for $45? :o
It helps if you go in before the vendor realizes they weren't supposed to be selling it for that low. I didn't realize they "fixed" it.

Return to “Guitars”