Totally new, just got a macbook air with garage band. I want to make stuff like trance and dubstep.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you get a plugin and download it, and what ones are good for making dubstep and trance and how would you know they are good?

A friend of mine recommended me this forum, but I am super confused on how to download stuff and what plugins to use.

I was searching the forum, but I am not finding what I want to find. Thank you in advance. I am a window's user and mac is super confusing.

Why did you get a MacBook Air if you're a Windows user? :nutter:

moshymoshy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:34 pm How do you get a plugin and download it, and what ones are good for making dubstep and trance and how would you know they are good?

A friend of mine recommended me this forum, but I am super confused on how to download stuff and what plugins to use.

I was searching the forum, but I am not finding what I want to find. Thank you in advance. I am a window's user and mac is super confusing.
I don't know is you can find much help on Mac usage, there are better forums for these.

But for advises on trance. You can definitely start with Vital Synth. Vital is free and very much used to do trance.

You can watch "Dash Glitch" videos on YouTube.

For Dubstep, I think it is a bit more complex. Not because of the instruments but because of the technics, rhythms are complex and sounds are also more complex, more modulated.
I am not saying that good trance is easier to do, both are difficult but to start trance is a better choice.

Learn to use what you already have. There are no special plugins needed to make techno or dubstep. Watch a few tutorials to get started. Download the free e-book "How To Make A Noise" ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:10 am Learn to use what you already have. There are no special plugins needed to make techno or dubstep. …
Literally the best advice one can give, but it’s almost like a catch-22. For as simple as this advice is, it usually boggles the minds of newbies that they should focus on the boring “wax on, wax off” stuff instead of jumping straight in and trying to master the black belt moves.

(I removed the other parts of the quoted reply because I kinda have different opinions on Social Media tutorials now days, and I’ve not read the suggested eBook, FWIW).

Moshymoshy, welcome...

It's worth watching tutorials on using Garageband first.

There are tons, so once you find someone you can tolerate listening to, check the rest of their content.

No point in downloading new plugins yet. You'll get nowhere super fast. GarageBand is pretty powerful with some advanced stuff hidden, so its worth just getting used to it first.

thecontrolcentre is right that there are no special plugins. You can use anything and get great results once you get learning the mac and garageband out the way.

Also, I would suggest looking at Logic once you become comfortable. It's going to be the absolute cheapest way to get a crazy amount of effects and sound sources that you would need if you end up liking this.

Also get used to reading comments from random internet people. Someone will love every plugin and every synth and tell you its the greatest, so good luck not getting caught up.

If you want to make Trance + Dubstep drop garage band and get Logic pro. You'll have everything you need right there.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:49 am If you want to make Trance + Dubstep drop garage band and get Logic pro. You'll have everything you need right there.
This correct. I'll help a bit though, here's the first question to ask:

Q: Do you have $200 to spend on Logic Pro

If the answer is yes, then buy it and don't buy anything else until you've made a dozen or so tracks. You buy it in the Apple store. Just click and get your credit card out.

If the answer is no, then don't buy anything or download anything. Just watch tutorials on garageband and make music until you have $200 to spend, then revisit the question.

Here you go, John 00 Fleming making a Trance Remix/Remake of Oxygen. He mentions several times how powerful logic is. This video is old, his version of Logic is old, it might not be your style, but, watch it anyway. What I remember is how much John seems to care that the viewer gets something out of this and doesn't waste money and time chasing bullshit.

It's almost 90 minutes long. Give it a chance, it will help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hck7W8ipbcg

Do you know anything about writing music?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:40 am
Robmobius wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:49 am If you want to make Trance + Dubstep drop garage band and get Logic pro. You'll have everything you need right there.
This correct. I'll help a bit though, here's the first question to ask:

Q: Do you have $200 to spend on Logic Pro

If the answer is yes, then buy it and don't buy anything else until you've made a dozen or so tracks. You buy it in the Apple store. Just click and get your credit card out.

If the answer is no, then don't buy anything or download anything. Just watch tutorials on garageband and make music until you have $200 to spend, then revisit the question.
I don't know about Logic (I would advise Bitwig :-P) but your advise of waiting to buy plugins is a good one.
I remember forcing myself to finish one song before buying any new synth. It is a good discipline.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”