Help with SPP messages / Sysex

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone, hoping someone's able to help point me in the right direction here.

I'm trying to achieve what's talked about in this thread here:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/spp-mess ... r/89954/21

"I can play any step of the Arranger, on the fly.

I mapped midi notes (Note number X, Velo Y) to
Stop (FC)
SPP (F2 X Y)
Continue (FB)

I tried midi loopback, but it freezed. :smile:. I’ll try to understand why later.

SPP values correspondance
BAR 1 - F2 00 00
BAR 2 - F2 10 00
BAR 3 - F2 20 00
BAR 4 - F2 30 00
BAR 5 - F2 40 00
BAR 6 - F2 50 00
BAR 7 - F2 60 00
BAR 8 - F2 70 00
BAR 9 - F2 00 01
BAR 9 / step 2 - F2 01 01
BAR 9 / step 3 - F2 02 01

BAR 9 / step 16 - F2 0F 01
"

I'm not understanding how the pack songposition module works (Not getting any results from it) and also not understanding how to use hexadecimal in Architect with the pack sysex module.. Any ideas?

My goal is ultimately being able to perform "legato" pattern changes on the Octatrack that doesn't natively support it. Eventually want to be able to mix simple patterns to make more complex ones.

Also, I have vague understandings of the deeper workings of MIDI but not well enough to be sure that I've not made some kind of wrong assumption in my approach above.

The basics when it comes to generating and parsing SysEx MIDI message with Architect are:

- To create a SysEx message with a [data] module, you need to populate it with an array of integers. To specify hexadecimal numbers, prefix them with `0x`, for example, `0x23`.

- MIDI SysEx messages must start with 0xf0 and must end with 0xf7. Because of this requirement, Architect automatically adds these numbers to the MIDI stream, so you don't need to - and in fact, shouldn't - add them yourself. (In retrospect, I may ease that requirement in the future, perhaps adding the delimiting numbers only if they are missing. I must admit, not having to add them does confuse people.)

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 14.23.15.png

- The easiest way to create dynamic SysEx messages is using `[template]` modules with `$0`, `$1` placeholders, into which numeric content will be placed. In the following screen, the slider's value is interpolated into the `$0` placeholder.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 14.26.05.png

Regarding [pack songposition], I suspect that the target device may first require you to send a MIDI `start` message to let it know that you're using clock signals. There is a certain protocol that must be observed when it comes to sending MIDI clocks and, whilst it isn't too tricky to do so manually, I'd suggest just using the [MIDI beat clock generator] module. This module will generate the required start, stop, clock, continue, and songposition messages required to sync something along with Architect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Return to “Loomer”