New plugin has a killer feature that Drumcomputer lacks

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Drumcomputer:
- as an all-in-one solution for drums/percussion (although I usually get the bass drum elsewhere)
- as a sequencer to trigger other [drum] plugins

My appreciation:
- nice drum synth, but it's hard to get good kick sounds
- my preferred drum sequencer

Now a new competitor is offering the single feature I couldn't get from drum sequencers:
put beats on selected step divisions.

Also, it offers 16 pads (instead of Drumcomputer's 8 ) and is able to do so thanks to its nifty design.

Please consider making Drumcomputer 2, with:
- the ability to put beats on selected subdivisions
- more pads (which your competitor's implementation enables)
- easier/better kick sounds
cptgone wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:10 am I succumbed to Modalics' marketing fu after all (well played, Modalics).
Quick first impression:

Beat Scholar's strengths, to me, are:
- segmented steps (that, I could do in Cubase's Drum Editor)
- the colours: instrument-agnostic lanes (that is new to me 8) and really useful combined with the above)
- the wealth of instrument selection pads (16) this approach allows

Beat Scholar has the potential to be king of drum sequencers, one day.
Once you have a taste of its special sauce, you'll want more.
But if you're like me (if you like evolving, polymetric, aleatory music) you'll end up using 2 drum sequencers in most projects for the time being :shrug:

Don´t hold your breath, won´t happen. They hate updating their products, let alone adding new features.

cptgone wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:49 pm - easier/better kick sounds
It helps to understand this is physically modelling a kick drum usually. The flexibility in the resonator is unparalleled. It can generate its own impulse, or use the wavetable generator, or the resynth generator. So changing those will impact the resonator if in that mode. Plus the FM in the wavetable/analogue uses the resonator as the modulator!

Simplest most "traditional" architecture is to set the resonator to "Envelope" which is itself. and can provide body. Then use wavetable/analogue as the transient. Then use filter to tame them as desired. And distortion to add grit. Ignore resynth or use it to add texture.

Easiest mode is hit "RND" for kick until you get something in the ballpark and modify it.

I suppose some tooltips might help as I need to refer to the manual sometimes.

enCiphered wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:54 am Don´t hold your breath, won´t happen. They hate updating their products, let alone adding new features.
Yep. And judging by Effectrix's update, it would be a pricey upgrade.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Thanks for the info, yellowmix. Most kind.
Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:44 am
enCiphered wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:54 am Don´t hold your breath, won´t happen. They hate updating their products, let alone adding new features.
Yep. And judging by Effectrix's update, it would be a pricey upgrade.
I wouldn't mind paying for the ultimate drum sequencer (for once, I wouldn't even wait for a sale).

cptgone wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:49 pm Please consider making Drumcomputer 2, with:
- the ability to put beats on selected subdivisions
- more pads (which your competitor's implementation enables)
- easier/better kick sounds
And this minor improvement:
- improved GUI representation of subdivided steps (painted-in diamonds, as in FXpansion Tremor - or Beat Scholar's segmented circles. Drumcomputer's slider-per-step solution is suboptimal compared to those)

That would also add the new killer feature.
Take Cubase's Drum Editor: allows to paint subdivided beats, and then delete the ones you don't want (e.g. paint a triplet, delete the 2nd note).

Hey, Thank you all for the comments about Beat Scholar! We read through every single one and take them to heart.
We definitely have a roadmap for improving Beat Scholar and we'll even be releasing major updates relatively soon - such as a major improvement of the sampler engine quality & performance updates.
We also really want to implement step probability & variable lane lengths, as well as create seamless integration with our acoustic sampler MINDst Drums... we're trying to figure out the timeline for these features right now. Alongside additional smaller free plugins and interesting releases in other categories.

Keep the comments coming and thanks again!

OrLubianiker wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:01 am We also really want to implement step probability & variable lane lengths
I hope you do, as your killer feature ruined other drum sequencers for me (Tremor, Drumcomputer, Roland Cloud 808, Roland Cloud 909, Atlas, BFD...).

I can get by using 2 drum sequencers (Beat Scholar + any of the above) but an all-in-one drum sequencer would make for a far better workflow/overview.

It would be the first drum sequencer that combines the features of step sequencers and DAW piano roll editors.

cptgone wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:36 pm
OrLubianiker wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:01 am We also really want to implement step probability & variable lane lengths
I hope you do, as your killer feature ruined other drum sequencers for me (Tremor, Drumcomputer, Roland Cloud 808, Roland Cloud 909, Atlas, BFD...).

I can get by using 2 drum sequencers (Beat Scholar + any of the above) but an all-in-one drum sequencer would make for a far better workflow/overview.

It would be the first drum sequencer that combines the features of step sequencers and DAW piano roll editors.
Btw, we just rolled out a pretty important update, a completely overhauled sampler engine that significantly boosts the sample playback quality. As well as the possiblity to load in samples in more formats (MP3, OGG, FLAC, AIFF)
We also improved the CPU performance of the reverbs.
Admittedly this update has more to do with the sampler quality, but it's just another step in the direction of making Beat Scholar the best drum sequencer out there...

Return to “Sugar Bytes”