Some feature requests for WF13

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So Waveform is my favorite daw ever and I've noticed a few things that could make it better.

1. More ways to access a track's macro parameters. Either the browser, under the inputs, or a track effect (similar to the dj filter, but with knobs). Also a keyboard shortcut.
1_macro_fx_feature.jpeg

2. Pressing the enter key twice on an fx browser popup, adds first plugin in list. This would make for less mouse movement.
2_enter_fx_feature.jpg

3. Inserting fx over wires in racks auto connects I/O, essentially saving a ton of time when using racks with inputs and outputs already connected.
3_rack_fx_feature.jpg

4. Using "whole track presets" for default tracks (i.e. when pressing 't' key to add a new track). Maybe there's a way to do this with macros, I couldn't find a solution.

Anyway, I can't wait for Waveform 13, and if any devs see this, please consider, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1. If you favourite Macros or parameters or whatever by highlighting the star beside it, and then use the keyboard shortcut for 'show favourites actions' when you have a track/plugin/clip selected then you get there pretty quickly. It's not exactly what you suggested but it's not much slower.

3. yes, very good idea.

4. Don't know of any way to do it as simply as you want. You can save whole tracks as presets, give them a unique tag and add that tag to Favourites in the search area. Then it's just a keyboard shortcut to open the search panel, two clicks and a drag away. Or if you keep unused 'default tracks' somewhere in your edit you can copy and paste them from the 'Tracks' page in the browser to anywhere in the edit, or use duplicate 'D', you could open the mixer panel, select the 'default' track you want, hit 'D' a few times to create copies and then drag those tracks around to arrange where you want them, then close the mixer panel.

Thanks for your suggestions! For numbers 1 & 4, I was basically trying to recreate a channel strip, with filters and gain, without too much switching between browser panes. The easiest I could find was using the quick control parameter (found in actions) to reveal a slider on the plugin.
channel_strip.jpg

I might create a template with a bunch of these tracks, and use duplicate and drag when needed.

My hope was that macro parameters could be used to condense the number of plugins in the chain, i.e. the two filter plugins could be a single eq, and be changed without opening the plugins UI.

By the way, the extra gain plugin is for volume automation, then the mixer volume can be used to scale the entire track's volume without redrawing a bunch of automation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'd like better integration of Melodyne into Waveform. Clip editing in Melodyne is so much easier than in native Waveform.

ndrw9138 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:23 pm Thanks for your suggestions! For numbers 1 & 4, I was basically trying to recreate a channel strip, with filters and gain, without too much switching between browser panes. The easiest I could find was using the quick control parameter (found in actions) to reveal a slider on the plugin.

channel_strip.jpg

I might create a template with a bunch of these tracks, and use duplicate and drag when needed.

My hope was that macro parameters could be used to condense the number of plugins in the chain, i.e. the two filter plugins could be a single eq, and be changed without opening the plugins UI.

By the way, the extra gain plugin is for volume automation, then the mixer volume can be used to scale the entire track's volume without redrawing a bunch of automation.
You can add these plugins to a rack, create rack macros assigned to the parameters and then make a faceplate that will do exactly what you are describing. Open one GUI and have a bunch of knobs controlling whatever you want. It's a bit of a process the first time but once you do it a few times it's easy enough.https://youtu.be/JYcJUX7qEVw

You can save the rack and add it to whatever track you need. If you think about it as grouping plugin parameters together, not track parameters it's a lot easier, and that functionality has been built into Waveform for ages. One of it's best features.

(deleted)
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

dysjoint wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:45 am
ndrw9138 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:23 pm Thanks for your suggestions! For numbers 1 & 4, I was basically trying to recreate a channel strip, with filters and gain, without too much switching between browser panes. The easiest I could find was using the quick control parameter (found in actions) to reveal a slider on the plugin.

channel_strip.jpg

You can add these plugins to a rack, create rack macros assigned to the parameters and then make a faceplate that will do exactly what you are describing. Open one GUI and have a bunch of knobs controlling whatever you want. It's a bit of a process the first time but once you do it a few times it's easy enough.https://youtu.be/JYcJUX7qEVw

You can save the rack and add it to whatever track you need. If you think about it as grouping plugin parameters together, not track parameters it's a lot easier, and that functionality has been built into Waveform for ages. One of it's best features.
I didn't know racks could be opened directly to the faceplate, even after saving and re-opening! This will be incredible for a pre or post fx channel strip with different plugin vendors. It did take a minute to figure out automation, however, it works beautifully.

nairobiny wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:16 am I'd like better integration of Melodyne into Waveform. Clip editing in Melodyne is so much easier than in native Waveform.
I'm not too familiar with Melodyne. It's not something I normally use. It seems I've read about ARA issues in a few other daws.

Just recently picked up Waveform 12 Pro a month ago while it was on sale...really like its composition and arrangement tools.

Something I would love to see in Waveform 13: In the chord track, add functionality for borrowed chords. I know you can manually force a chord, but say you adjust the global key of the project...the forced chords remain the same regardless what the global key is.

Likewise...add the ability to transpose chords based of their relative position to the global key. So if I raise the global key two semitones, raise any chords in the chord track up two semitones.

And also (this is something I know Studio One Pro can do), allow for dragging MIDI into the chord track and Waveform detect the chord and place it into the chord track.

Return to “Tracktion”