Drumcomputer mapped zones and midi out

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

just a short question about the mappings/zones. If you map a kit piece to something like c2-b2 and then activate the keyboard->roll button for that kit piece you can get some cool stuttery/loop effects on that octave - if you use the internal engine. However if you use the midi out, drumcomputer sends literally only a short slice of the (root) note and nothing else (?).

Is there a way to configure drumcomputer to make this feature useful for midi out?

Hi Dr.Gunjah,

unfortunately, the rolls happen far after the MIDI out. The idea is that you don't have to resolve the roll back into MIDI, if you want to trigger drum computers with their own MIDI out data.
However, if you want to trigger another sound generator with the generated MIDI, this is of course lacking.
If we "pack" the MIDI out so far back that it gets the final gate it would also includes the flam, so there is no easy "fix" at the moment but we may give it a try in one of our big major updates.

Best,
Nadine

Hi Nadine,

that's what I was afraid of, damn. Could you explain what's the intention of the current behavior as it doesn't look like drumcomputer (or really any plugin) could do anything useful with that midi output. For example, if set the kick zone to c3-b3, then hold e3, I get the flam/roll in drumcomputer but on the midi out I just get a very short root note (c3 in this case). Even if I could set up a similar looping behaviour in the sampler (battery in my case), I currently don't see an option in drumcomputer to pass the original note. I guess the only workaround for now would be to do the rolls manually in the piano roll using the root note only, but that's kinda ironic if you bought a drum sequencer so you don't have to that stuff in the piano roll anymore.

As I guess there's currently no ETA for a major drumcomputer update, is there a place where I can "officially" open feature requests for such things?

After further testing, not even the workaround does it. For example, if a pattern plays and you mute the snare, then play a note from the "snare zone", this note will not go to midi out, but it will play in the integrated engine. Is this a bug?

Could you please explain the following sentence in more detail:
Sugar Bytes wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:47 am The idea is that you don't have to resolve the roll back into MIDI, if you want to trigger drum computers with their own MIDI out data.
Does that mean that the midi out is designed to generate midi that is useable by drumcomputer again? Because the way it works now, if I record the midi output of drumcomputer and feed that recorded midi file back to drumcomputer it sounds nothing like what I've heard while recording it. At least not if I've used the mapping zones. The information that I held a note to trigger a flam/roll is lost on the midi out and also which note, so drumcomputer doesn't know which roll I triggered and not for how long.

Please don't get me wrong, I understand that translating the rolls to single midi notes can't be done with the current implementation and I'm fine having to wait for a future update (even if it's paid). However I'd appreciate if you would comment on (and hopefully investigate) the current behaviour of the midi out for mapping zones because this feature looks pretty much broken to me.

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:11 pm As I guess there's currently no ETA for a major drumcomputer update, is there a place where I can "officially" open feature requests for such things?
If such a place exists, I'd like to have dotted notes added to the Time Division listbox.
Dr.Gunjah wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:46 am I'd appreciate if you would comment on (and hopefully investigate) the current behaviour of the midi out for mapping zones because this feature looks pretty much broken to me.
I agree.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”