velocity curves feature in modern nylon ?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a question that is coming up in other guitar packages too. Personally, I would appreciate a string based velocity factor. It would shine with arpeggios. Each time I want a chord progression expressed in arpeggio, I start (editing in Logic Pro piano roll) with all notes input at velocity 30 but need to edit the velocity of each note of each string to bring more equilibrium to the ensemble, often have to lower the low E string notes to velocity 10, A string notes to 20, D to 30, G to 20, B to 30, E to 20 for open string E and 30 for other high E string notes. A set of 6 velocity factors, one for each string, would greatly minimize the amount of time spent on velocity edits. A D2 on string 4 is not the same as a D2 on string 6 for the same velocity input. Greg ?

Hmmm, it's definitely a possibility to add velocity curves/adjustments on a per string basis. I wonder how many other users would need that, though, since it's a pretty specialized setting.

Are there any tools in your DAW itself to more quickly edit the velocities of each note? I don't know for certain if Logic Pro can do this specifically, but in some DAWs' piano roll, you can click on the note on the keyboard on one side, and it will select all of the MIDI events corresponding with that note so that you can set their velocities simultaneously.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Yes Greg, there are tools to help.
My way (in Logic Pro):
- assign notes to channels 1 to 6 in MIDI mode
- select one note of a specific channel/string
- use shortcut key "shift H" to select all notes of same channel/string
- edit the velocity
- repeat for each channel/string, and for each region.

problem: still a lot of work, especially if notes are distributed among several different regions.
but: user life would be much easier if you already have a global level property set of 6 velocity factors, no selection hassle.

another variation is to use articulations to assign notes to specific strings, select one note of one channel and use "shift A" to select all notes of same articulation/string to edit their velocity at once, but again, it's one string at a time, not a global function transparent to the user.

Midi transformation can help too.

Who would need that ?
Sometimes the availability of a feature can create a need.

Specialized setting ?
It would be only one more line added to the pretty long list of the "set up", and a good complement to the velocity curve that could still work concurrently with this formula:
(velocity of the note) multiplied by (string velocity factor) multiplied by (global velocity curve)
the 2 last variables could be swapped.

And not to be discarded: IMHO, easy to implement added value.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”