Architect: Simple crash (Quickly resolved !)

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm running the demo. Standalone. Windows 10.

This is a simple reproduce. I was actually creating a mapping elsewhere.

Right-click the transport, add mapping.
Internal -> Create numeric
Mapping appears in the utility window - click it.
Architect is no longer running, just vanishes.

No idea if this is just my machine. Any other info needed, please ask.
Last edited by koalaboy on Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm investigating. It doesn't (appear) to happen on my machine. I'll try on my Windows 10 machine first thing tomorrow, and hopefully get back to shortly after with a resolution or request for more information. Thanks for your patience.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Found and fixed: thanks for reporting. I have another crash issue under Windows to look to, and I'm hoping to have that done this weekend and merged into the build. In the intermin though, if you'd rather not wait, I'm happy to upload you a build which fixes your issue today.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks Colin,

I have plenty of other things to learn about, so it's no problem. I'm just glad you fixed it.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this post, as that will help me: viewtopic.php?p=8835114#p8835114

I'm not sure how pattern lanes work with Reason, but I'll take a look and get back to you. I'm sure you can do something similar in Architect. Generally, you use the TIMELINE for arranging things in a linear fashion, or the PLAY window for being able to launch scenes "on the fly". The main caveat here is that to use a Sequencer in the TIMELINE mode, its "Conduct" property must be set to "TIMELINE"; likewise, to use a sequencer in the PLAY window, the "Conduct" must be set to "PLAY". If you create a sequencer directly in either of these views, the conduct will be set accordingly.
(I did spend far too long trying to figure out how to get 'out' of mapping mode... was expecting more of an 'Escape' than hiding the utility window - it is easy in hindsight, but I spent ages with a purple transport button)
You're not the only one who has been trapped in a purple nightmare. I've made this whole system more obvious in the new version by tweaking how these secondary panels works. But I think adding "Escape" to close it is a good call, so I'll also implement that. Thanks!

colin@loomer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:42 pm I'm not sure how pattern lanes work with Reason, but I'll take a look and get back to you. I'm sure you can do something similar in Architect. Generally, you use the TIMELINE for arranging things in a linear fashion, or the PLAY window for being able to launch scenes "on the fly". The main caveat here is that to use a Sequencer in the TIMELINE mode, its "Conduct" property must be set to "TIMELINE"; likewise, to use a sequencer in the PLAY window, the "Conduct" must be set to "PLAY". If you create a sequencer directly in either of these views, the conduct will be set accordingly.
Basically, I want to sequence the launch (and stop) of clips/scenes *from* the timeline, without actually arranging them - just arrange the start/stop. I may be able to achieve the same end result by manipulating the speed of patterns, but it's just not as intuitive.. maybe if there was a way to set the BPM of a pattern instead of messing with speed ?

I'm very close to finding a 'happy' place with the basic workflow though :)
colin@loomer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:42 pm You're not the only one who has been trapped in a purple nightmare. I've made this whole system more obvious in the new version by tweaking how these secondary panels works. But I think adding "Escape" to close it is a good call, so I'll also implement that. Thanks!
The only problem could be if someone wants to map 'Escape' .. but I don't have an answer for that.

Just to add a few more 'expected' QoL that aren't there - as a complete new person to the app:

Mouse wheel doesn't zoom the graph
No way to 'move' the graph (middle-click/wheel-click is common in other apps)
Mixer tracks don't appear in the graph - after a few days away since the quickstart, I was adding a track, for a VST and expected a node to be in the graph that I could connect to. I understand adding a MIDI OUT and then selecting the output, but it would save time and brain if each track appeared in the graph as an alias for a MIDI OUT (unchangeable).
No obvious way to start/stop a sequencer in the graph - I realise this is a different workflow, but I kind of thought I could send a 'trigger' to start/stop. I think it may be possible, but finding the correct inlets to enable, etc. isn't intuitive.

These are just brain dumps, as I try to do something and realise I can't. I'm not expecting any changes - just feedback.

I humbly suggest not to flood Colin with another bunch of "feedback" - he might find it cool to implement one or the other feature which means he will never ever finish Artichect ( and, thus, never finish Aspect² ) :x

8)

koalaboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:59 pm Just to add a few more 'expected' QoL that aren't there - as a complete new person to the app:

Mouse wheel doesn't zoom the graph
No way to 'move' the graph (middle-click/wheel-click is common in other apps)
Mixer tracks don't appear in the graph - after a few days away since the quickstart, I was adding a track, for a VST and expected a node to be in the graph that I could connect to. I understand adding a MIDI OUT and then selecting the output, but it would save time and brain if each track appeared in the graph as an alias for a MIDI OUT (unchangeable).
No obvious way to start/stop a sequencer in the graph - I realise this is a different workflow, but I kind of thought I could send a 'trigger' to start/stop. I think it may be possible, but finding the correct inlets to enable, etc. isn't intuitive.

These are just brain dumps, as I try to do something and realise I can't. I'm not expecting any changes - just feedback.
Dig a bit deeper into the program , almost everything you have mentioned is possible
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

koalaboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:59 pm Just to add a few more 'expected' QoL that aren't there - as a complete new person to the app: ...
I've added these notes to my feedback list, and look to tackle them in a future revision.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 pm Dig a bit deeper into the program , almost everything you have mentioned is possible
I realise that some are likely possible. I just wanted to provide some 'initial' feedback on things that a new user may come to and be confused about. I would expect anything complex to require digging in, but the items I listed are (I think) fairly standard expectations coming from similar places, and so any large learning curve may just put people off.

UI/UX is critical for first impressions, and overall I think Colin has done a fantastic job, so I'm just offering some feedback for him to take as he sees fit. I've been developing for a long time and know that this sort of feedback (which a dev is free to also interpret as they see fit) is something that often is missed. There's a lot of noise around "I want this" but not so much on initial findings.

I have 'sort of' managed to get sequence stop/start going (via enabled inlet), and then got stuck on resuming a pattern where it previously stopped. I'll keep experimenting when I have time, but time is not something I have much of these days.

colin@loomer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:08 am
koalaboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:59 pm Just to add a few more 'expected' QoL that aren't there - as a complete new person to the app: ...
I've added these notes to my feedback list, and look to tackle them in a future revision.
I was afraid... but obviously not necessarily so... :hug:

Return to “Loomer”