Midi quantize not working

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't get this most basic function to work. Sometimes it will quantize a single note but it won't do a group of notes. Any advice?

Sorry, I think everyone missed this.

When you say quantize, do you mean while recording from a MIDI controller, or editing in the piano roll?

If while recording, this is done from the "useful" menu. Click on your MIDI controller input (on the far left of the track), and from the Properties pane (use the UP arrow in the lower left corner if you don't see yours), look for Quantise. Make sure you choose a reasonable value or you might not hear a difference...or worse, it'll record most of your notes in the wrong places!

To edit a group of notes in the piano roll, I presume you're selecting multiple notes, using the "quantize" button on the bottom or the piano roll and selecting one of the five options there.

If so, and you're not seeing all notes shift position, it's often (for me) because I didn't choose a large enough value relative to the amount I'm zoomed in. A small adjustment of time when I'm zoomed out may not look like it did anything! In fact, it DID shift the notes--just not enough for the display to show it. If this happens, experiment by choosing a larger quantize value and see if they shift. Remember, if a note is already close to the quantized value, it won't move at all.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

... or worse, you end up with notes on top of each other, if the setting is too coarse !
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

"Quantize to nearest whole note."
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Yup, that'd throw any syncopation right out the window !
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”