Issue installing new plugins

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Only started recently. Don't seem to be able to add any new plugins successfully anymore. I even deleted about 10 to make sure, that just in case Waveform limits the number of plugins installed at any given time, I'd have space.

But after either placing the plugin(s) in their respective Windows folder or installing them via an executable, Waveform always gives me an error message when scanning.

Any thoughts?

What's the error message?
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:26 pm What's the error message?

Yikes! Never saw that one before. Are you able to run the plugin validation on them to see what that says? (Not that I'd be able to make sense of it myself, but someone here might.)

Not seen that message either. I'm on PC and have Decent Sampler 1.9.11 working in WF. If this message is occuring with every new plugin you install might be worth just reinstalling WF, you won't lose anything and only takes a minute.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

operandx wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:19 pm Not seen that message either. I'm on PC and have Decent Sampler 1.9.11 working in WF. If this message is occuring with every new plugin you install might be worth just reinstalling WF, you won't lose anything and only takes a minute.
Watchful wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm Yikes! Never saw that one before. Are you able to run the plugin validation on them to see what that says? (Not that I'd be able to make sense of it myself, but someone here might.)
Whew...I was thinking the same thing. But wasn't sure if I'd lose my project info. Good to know. And yeah, it happens every time now I try to install a new plugin.

Not sure about the validation option @Watchful . How is that done?

Go to Settings, Plugins:

WF 032424-1.png

The error message looks like a plugin installation issue. Make sure you don't move any files associated with the plugin itself.

Those are all VST 3 plugins (as opposed to the older VST 2 format). That might be a clue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:15 pm Go to Settings, Plugins:

WF 032424-1.png

The error message looks like a plugin installation issue. Make sure you don't move any files associated with the plugin itself.

Those are all VST 3 plugins (as opposed to the older VST 2 format). That might be a clue.
I thought Waveform will only allow for VST3 or VSTs. I'm very ignorant about all this stuff.

I did try reinstalling, it didn't help, unfortunately. That being said, I didn't uninstall first. I was still afraid of losing my work. So, if I uninstall Waveform first, I won't lose my stuff?

There might be an issue with the plugin installation, more so than Waveform.

irpacynot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 am I thought Waveform will only allow for VST3 or VSTs. I'm very ignorant about all this stuff.

I did try reinstalling, it didn't help, unfortunately. That being said, I didn't uninstall first. I was still afraid of losing my work. So, if I uninstall Waveform first, I won't lose my stuff?
Yes Waveform will allow VST 3 plugins. I have dozens of them installed all working perfectly. I have hundreds of VST 2 plugins and they too all validate perfectly in Waveform.

I don't think this is a Waveform installation issue but a plugin installation or scanning issue. Did you try "Validate Selected" in Settings, Plugins?

On the Settings, Plugin page highlight the files such as DecentSampler.vst3 shown your screenshot above and then click "Validate Selected" to see if that works. Try that for all the plugins that have failed.

If not try reinstalling Decent Sampler and make sure you don't change any file locations. Let it install where it wants. Then scan again.

I wanted to add do you have any VST 3 plugins that do validate properly in WF or do they all fail? What version of WF are you using?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Easiest way to see if it's an installation issue might be to install the demo of REAPER and see if they scan there. It's a small download and scans on startup. You can see plugins that failed to scan by going to Options -> Preferences... -> VST and clicking the "Re-scan..." button.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

It's pretty much the same way in Waveform. You can set it to "Automatically check for newly added plugins" which is a great feature. In FL Studio for example when I add a new plugin it wants to scan everything again and it can take ten minutes to complete. In Waveform it automatically adds the new plugin and the scan takes only seconds.

But you're right, one way to see if it's a plugin installation issue is to try another DAW. If those plugins that are failing validation in Waveform will scan,validate, and work fine in another DAW then it's not a plugin installation issue.

All I can say is I have over a thousand plugins and Waveform has scanned and validated them all so it would seem that it is not at fault. I'd wager a bet that reinstalling WF would not be the solution but again without further testing nothing can be ruled out at this point.

Could this be a case of these VST3s being wrappers for VST2 files? If Tony installs the VST3, it also installs the VST2...and if he deletes the VST2 later, some VST3 files no longer work.

I'd again advise reinstalling those problem VSTs from scratch and leaving them as they are.

One of the plugins that failed in his screenshot above is FetSnap by Analog Obsession. I just installed it and the .vst3 version validated without fail.

WF 032624-1.png

WF 032624-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:33 pm Yes Waveform will allow VST 3 plugins. I have dozens of them installed all working perfectly. I have hundreds of VST 2 plugins and they too all validate perfectly in Waveform.

I don't think this is a Waveform installation issue but a plugin installation or scanning issue. Did you try "Validate Selected" in Settings, Plugins?

On the Settings, Plugin page highlight the files such as DecentSampler.vst3 shown your screenshot above and then click "Validate Selected" to see if that works. Try that for all the plugins that have failed.

If not try reinstalling Decent Sampler and make sure you don't change any file locations. Let it install where it wants. Then scan again.

I wanted to add do you have any VST 3 plugins that do validate properly in WF or do they all fail? What version of WF are you using?
Hmm...honestly, due to my ignorance, I might have created a huge mess that I'm now paying for. I did try the "validate" option, and it gave me some type of error message, I believe (don't recall the message offhand).

But...

Thing is, over the past year working with this software, plugins have wanted to sometimes install into Cakewalk, sometimes into Steinberg, sometimes into a folder called "VstPlugins." And of course, some plugins required being installed in the (x86) folder, whist others can simply go into the regular Program Files folder. Eventually, I created a subfolder within the Waveform folder on my C drive for plugins that require manual installation, and started dropping them there.

:neutral:

Return to “Tracktion”