Launchpad x extension Native to Bitwig 5 ???

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I read there is a 'built in' controller script in version 5.x of Bitwig for Launchpad x? A couple questions please

-Is this true? and if so will it work in my version 4.x of Bitwig and how do I acquire it? I;ve been running the Moss version. It's great..it does a lot..Way more than I need and it confuses me. I;d like the device to just mimic the basic stuff it does in Ableton. I use the arranger view far more than clip launcher.

-Also. Is there a little device with 16 sensitive MPE pads that I could look into? This would be used in conjunction with my Native Instruments s61 mk1 and would well cover everything. They say you have to pound on the Akai 16pads device,

64 pads and all the features of the Moss extension is just too much for this guy. Thanks for any help
Last edited by nobadmojo on Wed May 24, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Nobadmojo,

yes, Bitwig 5 now comes with "inbuilt" controller scripts for the latest Novation devices. I have a Launchpad Pro Mk3, but looks like Launchpad X is also supported now:
2023-05-22 07_20_31-Bitwig Studio - New 1.png
And yes, I can feel you. The driven-by-moss extension is for sure awesome and full of features - but if you just want the basics and want the launchpad to behave consistently across DAWs and also standalone mode - it's not built for that.

I'm not sure on the 16 MPE pads. Actually the launchpad also doesn't have fully MPE - you're probably referring to poly aftertouch? But I know of someone (@flipcoder) who created some emulation of timbre detection based on the multi-AT values in this project: https://github.com/flipcoder/midimech.

If the Launchpad X works for you otherwise, why the need to go with a 16 drum pads? Usually those are bigger then and there's also other controls around it. Not sure if it would get simpler. If you're happy with the quality and size of Launchpad X pads, why not stick with it and ignore the pads you don't need? Or create a custom layout where it only highlights the 16 pads you need and place some MIDI CC faders on top of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Hi thanks for the response. I agree. I really like the Launchpad x and decided to devote some more time to learn some more features and ignore the ones I dont want/need. I;m trying to limit falling into so many music rabbit holes :)) and spend more time making music than setting things up

I just want the launchpad x as a percussion pad and to control some basic things like volume fading and toggling things, etc. My keyboard does aftertouch so i;m all set there

I decided to use the new Custom feature and assign some things to that blank canvas,. Starting with a simple one (Toggle Plug In Window). That worked fine, but the pad doesnt light up. Using Moss 19.2.2 with Bitwig 4.4

Hello,

I have the same purpose for launchpad X and i found out that er is NO midi feedback to the custom setting.
I had contcat over this with Bitwig support and they told me so. The also told me that there is no planning rigth know to support this function.

I think this is a bug in the script because every other daw i worked with has two way communication with the custom settings (Nuendo, Cubae, Studio oen, Reaper and Ableton).

I'm stil looking around for a solution,

Hi all! New to Bitwig, which may be behind some of this, and I am having a problem using Launchpad X to launch scenes.

When I open a project I see the correct pads lit on the launchpad, they match the Bitwug display, but when I tap any of the pads in the column, all of the clips in the scene start playing as would happen had I clicked the white pad to play the scene.

User error or issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Bitwig”