Time Signature Question

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am composing a track with a 3/4 time signature, but all clips are recording in 4\4, and I must manually adjust every clip to 3\4 to be in the song grid.

Am I missing something in settings? Why are my clips recording in 4\4 with 3\4 projects time signature?

I've just tried to replicate this in Bitwig 4.0.1 without success.

I created a new project, set the time signature in the main toolbar (beneath the tempo) to 3/4 and then I recorded a clip in the launcher. The launcher clip is correctly recorded in 3/4, as shown in the "launcher clip" properties at left, and also when viewing the midi in the editor.

Did you have any luck solving this?

No luck. Finishing this project was a bit of a struggle.

Can you try this? :
1. start project, 4/4.
2. record some clips
3. change project to 3/4
4. record some clips again

Will new clips recorded after changing the time signature be in 3/4?
Clip time signature will not change, at least for me.

Interesting. I followed those steps, and everything works OK for me in 4.0.1 (I'm assuming that's the same version you're on?)

- I created a new project, 4/4.
- I recorded a 4/4 drum pattern and 4/4 melody.
- I changed the project to 3/4.
- I recorded a 3/4 drum pattern and 3/4 melody.

In the last step, all of the clips were correctly created as 3/4.

Here's a quick video showing what I did: https://youtu.be/tyz241uPags

Thanks for your afford.
Can you do the same in arrange window and with record button? Just record empty clips with the same steps.

Bitwig 4.0.1, macOS big sure, Apple m1.

Yep, I can replicate that. When a project is created with an initial 4/4 time signature, then subsequently changed to 3/4 in the main transport...

If you double click in the arranger on a blank track (to create a new empty clip), then it will be created in the new 3/4 time - this is expected behaviour.

But if you press record (O) in the transport to create a new clip in the arranger, that new clip will be in the original 4/4, despite the fact that the transport time signature is in 4/4 - this is not expected behaviour.

I thought perhaps inserting a "time signature change" to 3/4 in the header might work, but it doesn't, all clips are still recorded as 4/4. You can also insert an empty clip in the "master" launcher, and use that to trigger time signature changes, and while that will change the time signature in real time, it doesn't fix the issue related to creating new clips via recording into the arranger.

I think this is a legitimate bug. I'll create a video showing how to replicate the issue and I will report it to Bitwig :)

Thanks a lot!
Great that you have figured it out.

So in the end, if you are missing something (as you said in first post), then we are both missing something! If/when Bitwig respond to my support ticket, I'll post back here.

brendaningram wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:05 am I think this is a legitimate bug. I'll create a video showing how to replicate the issue and I will report it to Bitwig :)
Yup, sounds like it. Thanks for doing that!

Any news? Anything except 4/4 in the clip launcher is impossible to record, having to always manually adjust the clips. Is this normal? Does anyone working here with exotic time signatures care to add their 2 cents about Bitwig's overall time signature user experience?

in the latest version it still seems to be an issue - clips are always 4/4 - track editing seems to work with time sig changes but I am not confident and will probably abandon this initiative in Bitwig (multiple time sig changes)

Return to “Bitwig”