Setting up midi keyboard in Waveform 11 Free

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for some help setting up my Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol A49 keyboard as a midi device in Waveform 11 Free running under Windows 10. I have watched all the videos I can find and read the official Waveform reference manual but so far nothing has helped. In Settings, both Komplete Kontrol A DAW and Komplete Kontrol A49 show up but neither enabling one on its own nor both together results in any midi input. Only Komplete Kontrol A DAW will show up on the track input selector but even then no midi signal goes in from my keyboard. I have no problem with inputting midi into either Ableton Live or Cakewalk. Perhaps this is a problem just with Native Instruments controllers but I tried Tracktion.com support but was told that they do not support Waveform Free. That seems poor advertising for Waveform Pro which I understand is the same program but with added instruments and effects. Any help would be appreciated.

A couple of things might help us to help you. One is knowing what "Komplete Kontrol A DAW" and "Komplete Kontrol A49" are. Do you happen to know? I have a suspicion that one is for controller data and the other is keyboard data. That's how my Alesis Q49 works. Another thing that would be helpful is a screenshot of your Settings -> MIDI Devices page. I find that showing works better than telling.
That seems poor advertising for Waveform Pro which I understand is the same program but with added instruments and effects.
The paid-for version includes added instruments, added effects, more functionality, and support.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

There's a free tool called MIDI-OX that has a MIDI monitor option, so that you can see exactly what's coming in on each one of the "devices" - the A and the 49. Make sure you have no other MIDI application running at the time, and look for the MONITOR tool. Select them one by one, and tap on some keys and/or press some of the control pots - it'll tell you channel, note, velocity, and aftertouch if it sends any.

Alternately, and MAKE SURE the keyboard is connected and powered up BEFORE you load Waveform !
Enable both in MIDI settings, and on a track select one, then the other as input devices. When you play notes, you should see the "input" control bounce if it's seeing input (and you haven't filtered out the MIDI channel the input comes in on).
Waveform 12; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Many thanks for the suggestions. I thought I had attached some screenshots to my original post but being new to the forum I may have messed that up somehow.

I may try Midi Ox but surely I would see bouncing on the track gizmo if there were any midi input, just as I do when audio input is selected and a microphone is connected?

I have the midi input set to Channel 1 now.

You should really enable all channels, just in case. But make sure you are ENABLING and not DISABLING.

Also, is there a device-type selection on the A49? For Waveform you probably want MCU or "generic" selected. Although that shouldn't matter until you try to use transport controls; but NI set in "Komplete" mode may encapsulate MIDI strangely.

You'd think a controller would DEFAULT to MIDI, but NI likes to be different, and you have to SET it to MIDI mode, if the generic or MCU aren't selectable options.
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -MIDI-Mode
Waveform 12; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for the suggestions. When my A49 powers up it is in midi mode and stays there. I have tried all combinations of control surface selections and midi device settings (some screenshots attached) but the only response I get is if I set MCU to KK A49 Midi when G4 on the keyboard causes the display to flip from track editor to welcome screen, A4 causes it to flip back and C4 for a popup to appear. Something is obviously going in but not to the track editor. By the way, I have no problem using my keyboard for midi input to Ableton Live 11 Lite or Cakewalk.
Screenshot (437).png
Screenshot (436).png
Screenshot (435).png
Screenshot (434).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I just tried Midi Ox and there is correct input from my keyboard.

O.K. I finally found the problem. Somehow I had set the "allow midi controller remapping" button to "on" in Settings for my KK A DAW and A49 devices. I must have a twitchy mouse finger! Many thanks for all the advice.

Hey, Just got my own Tracktion Waveform Input Midi Octave Transpose working and I thought I'd share.
I've been recently Pitch Shifting (whether you do it on master or individual plugins) to get that feel of Octave Transposing.
But, the truth is that it's tedious and can only go down two octaves or up two octaves

Enter Midi Keytping. Now I don't know if it works with older versions of waveform older than 12, but I know that you can octave shift with z and x and even control velocity.
Just Bring the Bottom Pannel down and use that keyboard icon on the bottom left.
It's very intuitive, even more, if you assign a keymapping.
Ur welcome. I didn't see it mentioned here

(Completly Native to Waveform)

Don't most midi controllers have Octave Up/Down buttons these days? Both my 61 and 25 key controllers do.

Oh and since I see that was your first post here it's probably better to start a new thread than bump one that died almost two years ago. In this example the original poster hasn't visited in over a year.

In that amount of time the question has either been answered or the poster no longer cares. Old threads can also contain outdated info so better to just start fresh if you want to pass an operational tip on to the community. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Tracktion”