Linux distros where Waveform and add-ons work well?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hoping for reports from the end-users. Which distros do you use with Tracktion software?

Does Tracktion software run well on more current versions and flavors of Ubuntu than 20.04?

How about Debian or non-Ubuntu Debian derivatives?

Unfortunately for me, my current preference among Linux distros is the Fedora KDE Spin.

I tried using alien to convert the deb to an rpm, but that didn't work out.

For a little while I wondered whether Waveform could be packaged as a tgz with an install.sh (similar to Reaper or Harrison Mixbus) -- even if it has to be statically linked for greatest compatibility, but then I remembered all the other Tracktion add-ons and that this notion might undermine the convenience of the multi-product downloader app.

On a tangent, does running Waveform through distrobox add a lot of latency for playing in midi notes?

I am on Debian 10 (old-stable "bullseye"), on some almost 10 years old laptop, but at least with a very modern USB audio interface. No problems, I do not observe problems from the point of view of the quite old OS and meanwhile outdated KDE. Disclaimer: I am a DAW newcomer working still on tiny projects only, and have not discovered most of the Wavefrom features by now.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

Well...

I'm currently on Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat (development branch) x86_64... which is... kind of broken...
...mutter is currently broken and GNOME does not start... so...
had to work my way to SWAYwm... (because I like it)
And "everything" is working just fine... for a tiling window manager... That means...
Waveform13 PRO is working good and plugins open on a tiled window... some plugins are a-ok... some like Collective are useless...(blank window)

Do I recommend doing something like the above?... absolutely NOT! ... DON'T DO IT! :dog:

Before all the breakage... Waveform 13 PRO on Ubuntu was running flawlessly :tu:
add WINE and Yabridge, then you can run... LOVE, KULT, HYPERION, Cherry Audio CR-78... among a few others, and they work just fine.

Having said that, once Ubuntu 24.04 launches on April 25th, it will be my main LTS-Ubuntu PRO-free personal subscription-support until 2034-NODISTROHOPPINGIPROMESS-Distro of choice. :borg:

Edit: for clarity... maybe
Last edited by dajonaga on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5 3600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon RX 590 | Ubuntu 24.04 LTS - Windows 11 | Waveform 13 PRO | Bitwig 5.1 | VCV Rack 2 Free | Ardour

Just to understamd you right, you have running Waveform as a native Linux app running and use with it Theia and even Hyperion which are installed in Wine and Yabridge?
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

talby wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am Just to understamd you right, you have running Waveform as a native Linux app running and use with it Theia and even Hyperion which are installed in Wine and Yabridge?
Yes, that's correct.

You have to have Wine and Yabridge installed.
I'm installing the plugins like every other Windows app.
Then Yabridge will do the "magic" so you can use the plugin in Waveform Linux native.
Using winecfg, I had to change the settings on the "Graphics" tab, from 96ppp to 120ppp.
Submenus can get a little "wonky".. meaning I have to click more than once for them to "stay on top"... if that makes sense.
Not ALL Windows plugins work and YMMV... but it is doable and workable.

Again....

YMMV

A picture is worth 1000 sounds:
Captura desde 2024-04-07 11-59-46.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dajonaga on Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5 3600 | 32GB DDR4 | Radeon RX 590 | Ubuntu 24.04 LTS - Windows 11 | Waveform 13 PRO | Bitwig 5.1 | VCV Rack 2 Free | Ardour

Thank you for your replies! I also see that a few people have been using Linux Mint or LMDE, and some others have been using Debian itself -- so I have some options aside from the Ubuntu flavors. (Plus, I still have Windows 10 Pro installed, but I am so reluctant to boot into it these days.)

Goodbye for now, Fedora! :cry:

Although I am myself using Debian, I am usually recommending https://sparkylinux.org/. It is not like Ubuntu taking advantage of Debian as a base only but then heavily changing to a new distribution, but it is still pretty much the Debian base itself, but not restricting itself to ideological limitations and instead tuning Debian to become a very user friendly distribution by offering out of the box access to the drivers and app like known from Windows or Ubuntu.

Another alternative would be the Linux distribution optimized for Audio creators, AVLinux from https://www.bandshed.net/ . It is preconfigured for optimal audio performance.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

Looks like Ubuntu 24 LTS is coming out later this month . So , Pop OS 24 LTS should hit in May then . I'd love to try Arch but I just don't feel I have the time for it and to learn it .

havran wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:52 am Hoping for reports from the end-users. Which distros do you use with Tracktion software?

Does Tracktion software run well on more current versions and flavors of Ubuntu than 20.04?

How about Debian or non-Ubuntu Debian derivatives?

Unfortunately for me, my current preference among Linux distros is the Fedora KDE Spin.

I tried using alien to convert the deb to an rpm, but that didn't work out.

For a little while I wondered whether Waveform could be packaged as a tgz with an install.sh (similar to Reaper or Harrison Mixbus) -- even if it has to be statically linked for greatest compatibility, but then I remembered all the other Tracktion add-ons and that this notion might undermine the convenience of the multi-product downloader app.

On a tangent, does running Waveform through distrobox add a lot of latency for playing in midi notes?
Fedora user here. I use the stock Fedora with Gnome. I used alien in the past to convert the .deb file, but now I don´t use it anymore. It's better for me to simply decompress it to the root folder with the command:
"sudo dpkg-deb -x waveformxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.deb /"

It's working fine for me, at least the free version.

snexus wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:30 am Fedora user here. I use the stock Fedora with Gnome. I used alien in the past to convert the .deb file, but now I don´t use it anymore. It's better for me to simply decompress it to the root folder with the command:
"sudo dpkg-deb -x waveformxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.deb /"

It's working fine for me, at least the free version.
Thanks! That's good to know.

Return to “Tracktion”