Render MIDI to audio - multi-out instrument

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The MIDI data is in a track. The instrument (drums) is on that track.

Ideally there is a rendered audio track per kit piece, so they can be processed individually with EQ, compression, etc.

Moving the MIDI data from track to track and then rendering is a bit of a schlepp.

Is there an easier way to do this? Doing a pre-mix on drums is not ideal.

What's the VST? Many of them can have multiple audio out put channels; so by wrapping the VST in a rack, you can then route all of the audio outputs to separate tracks - or do the processing in the rack itself partially, and still have multiple outputs.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Sorry for the delay. Happens to be drums. Wrapped in a rack. Each drum piece to its own output. Plays just fine.

The problem comes with render. You can't render as is. The only solution I can find is to copy the midi data the MIDI data to each kit piece track.

If there is a way to get renders of individual tracks without having MIDI on each track, I'm not aware of it.

EDIT: Sounds like using record instead of render (as described below) might be a workable solution. The trouble with rendering each track individually is that a track on its own has no way of knowing that it should be receiving MIDI from another track that isn't really playing.
Last edited by pough on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

If I understand the problem, and I don't think I do, you're looking to have one clip of MIDI run to a single plugin, have the plugin support multiple outputs, and render those to a single track?

If so, I would...

1. Get the MIDI information in a single track as I like it
2. Put the drum plug in on that track
3. Put it into a rack so that I can have multiple outputs
4. Put compressors, EQ, etc. on the individual outputs within that rack
5. Create a bounce track below it
6. On the bounce track, set its input to be the drum track
7. Arm the bounce track for recording
8. Record
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm If I understand the problem, and I don't think I do, you're looking to have one clip of MIDI run to a single plugin, have the plugin support multiple outputs, and render those to a single track?

If so, I would...

1. Get the MIDI information in a single track as I like it
2. Put the drum plug in on that track
3. Put it into a rack so that I can have multiple outputs
4. Put compressors, EQ, etc. on the individual outputs within that rack
5. Create a bounce track below it
6. On the bounce track, set its input to be the drum track
7. Arm the bounce track for recording
8. Record
I read it as 'render each of those outputs to a seperate track'. So you end up with multi track drums. The only way I can figure it out is this. Set up your multi out rack, with each output to a separate track. Under each output track insert one new track and set the input to 'route audio from track x' (the track above). Arm all inputs and record. The midi track will play, all output tracks should play, and each track set up to capture audio from 'track x' should record audio. No guarantees on the PDC. There was an issue with PDC using this configuration, if you had a high latency plugin on one track it would throw the other tracks out.

If so, Dysjoint's suggestion is how I would do it.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Yip. dysjoint solution does it. Regarding latency, I only put FX on the audio track after it has been "recorded", so will not ne a problem.

Thanks all.

Return to “Tracktion”