Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

idoru97214 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:39 pm
gnu23 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:04 pm MYTH and another recent product came in for a bit of a well-intentioned thumping by Skippy on his PlugInGuru YT channel this weekend. It's worth the watch - the KVR crew can draw its own conclusions.

2 New Plug-Ins but something is missing...
I feel like this guy is saying basically "Myth sucks because it doesn't try to do what every other synth does. If a synth doesn't play by boomer rules, it should be doomed to fail."
I think his approach to feed it with a sample that's already mangled as hell was a wrong one. To understand what happens one should indeed start with a well-known sound like this sine wave the guys here in this thread are talking about.

But he's right when it comes to the factory presets (2ct).

So, the combination of "resynthesis is the primary feature" and "resynthesis should sound the same everywhere" is what is leading to some people's disappointment.

To be fair, the UI really does make it look like resynthesis is supposed to be the main thing. But the description on the Dawesome website doesn't give that impression, in fact it doesn't even mention resynthesis until after "FM, physical modelling, wavetables, analog." (Admittedly the Tracktion website is different)

As for the other point... resynthesis can take different approaches, with different consequences.

There's Alchemy, which does FFT analysis to create additive synthesis data. You get out something that sounds a lot like what you put in, though it's editable.

There's Rossum Panharmonium, which instead does the resynthesis with 31 VCOs that have your choice of classic waveshapes (saw, square etc.) and it sets each frequency and amplitude in an approximation of the input spectrum. To my ears, it often tends to make bright chiptuney-sounding results or "bad MP3" imitation (due to its inherent latency and slow update rate; it tries to be real-time but can't quite). But it can also synthesize some pretty dense, inharmonic clusters and that's probably where it's at its most interesting.

There's Make Noise Spectraphon, which uses a bank of bandpass filters (which you tune manually) for almost-zero-latency real-time analysis, and those control output VCAs of a bank of Chebyshev waveshapers fed by a single sine VCO. You can get huge variation even with boring static input just by changing the filter fundamental/bandwidth, and you can FM that VCO... it tends to transform the input radically.

And Myth is another different thing. The reason for its resynthesis is, I would argue, to create raw material for the transformers to chew on. The input does determine the results, but that doesn't mean the results have to sound like the input for it to be useful and interesting...
Last edited by foosnark on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:44 pm
gnu23 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:04 pm MYTH and another recent product came in for a bit of a well-intentioned thumping by Skippy on his PlugInGuru YT channel this weekend. It's worth the watch - the KVR crew can draw its own conclusions.

I feel like this guy is saying basically "Myth sucks because it doesn't try to do what every other synth does. If a synth doesn't play by boomer rules, it should be doomed to fail."
I think his approach to feed it with a sample that's already mangled as hell was a wrong one. To understand what happens one should indeed start with a well-known sound like this sine wave the guys here in this thread are talking about.

But he's right when it comes to the factory presets (2ct).
I actually agree with quite a few of the critiques overall, but I am getting quite a bit of usable material that is outside the norm. The browser IS crap, and the resynthesis IS ... I don't know ... not that (it feels like). But it does churn out some nice noise and I like it - no buyer's remorse.

Battalion OTOH - I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. The inability to stop the sequencer absolutely kills the whole thing IMO.

When you say 'The browser IS crap' - what exactly do you mean?

HOLY CPU HIT! I have just one instance loaded with no other synths or FX and Bitwig is crackling and popping at about 40-50% CPU usage. And that's just in ECO mode.
What can I do?! I've never had ONE synth do this before (Cherry Audio's DreamSynth was high as well but that's with other synths and FX going on).
edit: oh yeah, but I do LOVE this synth!

Depending on the preset - turn down the POLY number (towards bottom right). Shorten release envelopes, reduce unison voices - but I understand that is actually changing the preset.

Regarding source material for MYTH's Irises: What never fails to work for me is opening Serum, creating some wacky wavetable with it, exporting that wavetable as 16-bit WAV file.
In Serum: go to WT editor, create some wavetable, then go "Export all as 16 bit (.wav)" (in the Export menu), then in MYTH drop the resulting WAV file on an Iris.
This rarely gives unpleasant sounds with no usable parts inside the Iris.

Digital-Aura wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:26 pm HOLY CPU HIT! I have just one instance loaded with no other synths or FX and Bitwig is crackling and popping at about 40-50% CPU usage. And that's just in ECO mode.
What can I do?! I've never had ONE synth do this before (Cherry Audio's DreamSynth was high as well but that's with other synths and FX going on).
edit: oh yeah, but I do LOVE this synth!
I too experienced CPU usage like I have never known with another synth have used (easily beating my previous worst of Pigments v3). All my testing was done in Eco mode with no unison.

I had Myth on trial, spent two days seeking to understand it and get some idea of what it would do with its resynthesis of a wide-range of samples from very short wavetables, to chord progressions, to longer, more complex sounds. After those two days, I uninstalled it - I love Novum and Abyss, have (but am less enamoured with) Kult, but Myth I did not take to at all. I do wish some of the effects modules would find their way into Abyss and Novum, but accept this is unlikely to ever happen.

foosnark wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm
To be fair, the UI really does make it look like resynthesis is supposed to be the main thing. But the description on the website doesn't give that impression, in fact it doesn't even mention resynthesis until after "FM, physical modelling, wavetables, analog."
I hate to be that guy but it is literally the first thing it shows on the website page, and the first thing listed in the specs.

EDIT: Let me clarify - The Tracktion page makes it the focus. I just looked at the Dawesome website page to double check, and it isn't pushed front and center the same way.

foosnark wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm So, the combination of "resynthesis is the primary feature" and "resynthesis should sound the same everywhere" is what is leading to some people's disappointment.
I tried it because I wanted a different take on resynthesis. One of my favorite things to do is make weird samples specifically to resynthesize them

The results of resynthesis were different than other tools I own, they were crap

So I uninstalled it. Life is to short to waste time trying to make things like this work

Myth 1.09 should be available to download from Tracktion

FIX: VST category set to "instrument"
FIX: corrected ARP setting for the presets: BABA YAGA, GUIDED TRIP and JOURNEY ACROSS TIME
FIX: the indicator display for MATH was not correct when using JIT / PERLIN with RATE==0
FIX: intermittend freezing of UI could happen under WIN
FIX: ensure idle CPU is low even for win systems which showed intermittend freezing
FIX: high idle cpu due to the intermittend freeze-fix
FIX: background observer thread needs to stop at teardown
FIX: linux - crash when removing mod source with "x"
FIX: context menus could appear too small on some win systems
FIX: on waveform 13 setting ASIO to NONE could lead to MYTH crashing
FIX: added RING / FADE explanation to the manual
FIX: in the first iteration of 1.08 there was a bug with MACROS modulating monophonic parameters
FIX: increase resize limits for the UI for people with 2-screens that vary in (virtual) resolution
FIX: in mono mode the display of the LFO mod source value was not correct when POLY==off
FIX: in the LFO removing and re-adding POS module did disable it

That's nothing like what he was saying. Myth does suffer from the fact that you can't play the vast majority of the patches in a musical way. Even those labeled Strings, Keys, Pads etc are all so experimental that to play anything remotely close to a useable chord progression is not really possible, and to use any of the patches in a modern song production is likely not gonna go well. I think that's what he was getting at, and I agree with him there.

Novum for example is an experimental synth by Dawesome, but is very musical and has very good patches in all the categories a synth is expected to have (basses, leads, keys pads etc) and in my honest opinion is a better synth than Myth.

Myth is a difficult Synth to actually "play" even though at times it does sounds really cool. Novum and TOMOFON by Klevgrand are better for this kind of experimental concept in my opinion.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:45 pm
That's nothing like what he was saying. Myth does suffer from the fact that you can't play the vast majority of the patches in a musical way. Even those labeled Strings, Keys, Pads etc are all so experimental that to play anything remotely close to a useable chord progression is not really possible, and to use any of the patches in a modern song production is likely not gonna go well. I think that's what he was getting at, and I agree with him there.

Novum for example is an experimental synth by Dawesome, but is very musical and has very good patches in all the categories a synth is expected to have (basses, leads, keys pads etc) and in my honest opinion is a better synth than Myth.

Myth is a difficult Synth to actually "play" even though at times it does sounds really cool. Novum and TOMOFON by Klevgrand are better for this kind of experimental concept in my opinion.
In the browser at the bottom right try Timbre / Harmonious. There are a ton of patches there that are great for playing traditional three or more note chord progressions. As well as for playing like traditional keys---even very quickly.

Many patches sound better with two note chords and/or wider chord spacings.

IMO Myth sounds much better than Novum for organs, strings, vox, (FM) keys, etc. But I don't like the presets in Novum very much, and I've never ended up using it in anything. Myth is going to become one of my go-tos.
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Some people complain about MYTH's resynthesis concept and say that finding pleasant-sounding samples for MYTH is difficult. I prove them wrong! Watch my 3 minute video on how to create wavetables using Serum that make for beautiful fodder for MYTH's Irises at https://youtube.com/watch?v=S7fiP06zyr0

I am going to assume that people who are saying that, want to use their own samples from whatever sources they have..your test case is a very simple specific test case.
Simon S for instance I know records his own samples that are way more complex and interesting than your example.

I myself tried some of my own examples of voice snippets or short guitar samples and I didn't find anything useful.. Though unlike Simon I probably didn't spend more than 4 minutes on doing so.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”