Any good news about Aspect?

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, upgrade will be free, and I'm happy to let any existing Aspect owner try the new version.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Looking great Colin! [ glad the original blue and pink UI colors will be an option ]

Would really like to get my hands on the Beta, the original Aspect crashes on Ventura if I try to open the UI... and I have several V1 presets I'd like to get in V2 in projects on my M1 system.

Wow. I can see why it took longer than some were hoping. It’s a drastic improvement! I can’t wait!

This looks awesome ! (But I might prefer the old color scheme, still).
Hope to see it soon in the wild !

(And I would pay for the upgrade, no doubt ! :wink: )

kylie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:29 pm This looks awesome ! (But I might prefer the old color scheme, still).
Then you'll be pleased to hear that there is a third colour scheme: "classic blue" which adopts the Aspect 1 look.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 am
kylie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:29 pm This looks awesome ! (But I might prefer the old color scheme, still).
Then you'll be pleased to hear that there is a third colour scheme: "classic blue" which adopts the Aspect 1 look.
That's how I read you last post, with the GUI teasers.
Wednesday is drawing near... :wink:

Wednesday
Aspect² seemed not so far away
Now it looks it won't be here today
Oh, I believed in Wednesday

Suddenly
The release will have no upgrade fee
But I guess that it's ok for me
Oh, wednesday came suddenly

Why it is not there?
I don't know, he wouldn't say
I did nothing wrong
Just I longed fo Wednesday

Mm-mm-mm, mm, mm-mm-mm...

Yeah, as you can tell, I didn't make Wednesday. Turns out A\Bing several hundreds of presets was a significantly larger job than I had anticipated, and I just can't suss out any way to easily automate the job. It has been a worthwhile test, as I did find (and fix) a few cases where I had broken backwards compatibility with existing presets. So not yet quite ready, but still banking on the order of days before it will be. Thankfully!

Couldn't resist... :hihi:

Love the nice, raw sound of Aspect and this just looks like a beast. Modulation heaven 😍.
I assume there are no onboard FX just like the original?
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Loving the GUI. Can’t wait to try it out!

jethrobull wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 pm I assume there are no onboard FX just like the original?
I experimented with effects, but in the end, decided against it for this build. I'm not saying that they won't ever appear, but they won't be in the next release. Three reasons for this:

- People say they like not having the effects. A common thing I hear is someone creating an elaborate preset with plenty of modulations, and then saying it sounds as if it has effects on it.

- UI space. I couldn't fit the effects on the one screen, and the general opinion seems to be that the single tab approach is a big plus.

- Technical reasons. In fitting with the Aspect ethos, you'd expect the effects to also be modulatable. But I struggled to make this work because modulations are per-voice - so what voice should control the effects? And then what would happen when that voice finishes whilst other voices are still playing; should another voice "take over" modulation for the effects. I didn't come up with a satisyfing solution to this and so kicked the ball into the long grass. (This relates to another issue: in Aspect 2, LFOs can be switched into MONO mode and shared between all the voices, but in doing so, you lose the ability to modulate their rate or phase.)

colin@loomer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:14 am
jethrobull wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 pm I assume there are no onboard FX just like the original?
I experimented with effects, but in the end, decided against it for this build. I'm not saying that they won't ever appear, but they won't be in the next release. Three reasons for this:

- People say they like not having the effects. A common thing I hear is someone creating an elaborate preset with plenty of modulations, and then saying it sounds as if it has effects on it.

- UI space. I couldn't fit the effects on the one screen, and the general opinion seems to be that the single tab approach is a big plus.

- Technical reasons. In fitting with the Aspect ethos, you'd expect the effects to also be modulatable. But I struggled to make this work because modulations are per-voice - so what voice should control the effects? And then what would happen when that voice finishes whilst other voices are still playing; should another voice "take over" modulation for the effects. I didn't come up with a satisyfing solution to this and so kicked the ball into the long grass. (This relates to another issue: in Aspect 2, LFOs can be switched into MONO mode and shared between all the voices, but in doing so, you lose the ability to modulate their rate or phase.)
Great stuff Colin!
As I create nearly all my sounds from scratch, I seldom use onboard fx on any synth.
For me, that is a less is more kind of thing. I also love how Aspect sounds pre fx, if any :tu:
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort

Well I'm pleased to say I think the beta is, at long last, done. I'm going to spend the remains of today doing some last-minute smoke tests, and then tomorrow will make builds, upload them, and send out links. And then enjoy the bank holiday weekend.

For this first test run, I'd really like to establish that I've not broken compatibility with Aspect 1's presets. As such, I'll only be giving the licences to people who already own a licence for Aspect 1. But for anyone who is eligible and would like in, could you please either PM directly, or email me at colin (at) loomer.co.uk. Could you also let me know your registered email address, as whilst the upgrade is free, it will need to be registered with a version 2 licence. Could you also let me know which platforms you wish to test on, both operating system and plug-in format, just so that I can get an idea of test coverage?

Thanks all!

colin@loomer wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:11 am Well I'm pleased to say I think the beta is, at long last, done. I'm going to spend the remains of today doing some last-minute smoke tests, and then tomorrow will make builds, upload them, and send out links. And then enjoy the bank holiday weekend.

For this first test run, I'd really like to establish that I've not broken compatibility with Aspect 1's presets. As such, I'll only be giving the licences to people who already own a licence for Aspect 1. But for anyone who is eligible and would like in, could you please either PM directly, or email me at colin (at) loomer.co.uk. Could you also let me know your registered email address, as whilst the upgrade is free, it will need to be registered with a version 2 licence. Could you also let me know which platforms you wish to test on, both operating system and plug-in format, just so that I can get an idea of test coverage?

Thanks all!
Fantastic news Colin 😄
I will pm with my deets now!
Thanks
myfeebleeffort

Return to “Loomer”