Launchpad Pro MK3 Waveform 13 free

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Anyone got Launchpad Pro MK3 working in control surface mode in waveform13 free?
I tried every port config and it doesn't work, only works as normal midi device.

Launchpad Pro MK3 is only supported if you have the clip launcher, which either requires pro or the clip launcher expansion for free.

Thanks for the insight. If i use the demo, meaning the trial version with a registered account, shouldn't it work as the full version until that trial end?

Grenoybel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm Thanks for the insight. If i use the demo, meaning the trial version with a registered account, shouldn't it work as the full version until that trial end?
Yes, make sure you've activated the trial on tracktion.com and then unlocked it in Waveform.

If you go to Settings > Licensing, Waveform Pro should say 'trial'

Yes, I have it all, but still the launchpad pro mk3 doesn't' work as a control surface, I already sent a request for their support.
Just thought to try my luck here to see if someone else had the issue and solved it.

Thanks nonetheless.

Support says that they don't give support to free users and shared me something about configuring Launchkey, that is not related, so no dice.
And apparently they don't do refunds unless it's something around frauds, etc. This means that since I can't get this to work with the trial there is a high probability that it won't work If I buy and for sure lose the money:
" Tracktion Software Corporation does not refund products, which:
Cannot be used by the customer due to hardware limitations
Cannot be used by the customer due to software limitations
Cannot be used by the customer due to insufficient knowledge / know-how"

Not ideal...

There are 3 midi inputs on the MK3, you want to use the last ports, labelled DAW. (Names may be different on Windows/Linux)

The problem seems to be the port naming, mine appears as this

And the midi devices

I think you want to use MIDIIN3

Are you on Windows?

Yes I am, With the MIDIIN3 It's the same thing, Session doesn't lite up and that means it is still in stand-alone mode, Choosing MIDIIN3 just allows sending normal midi notes.

It sort of depends what you want to do with it. If you want 64 functions, you can use MidiLearn or the manual set up by note number to do the standard start/stop/rewind/record/etc. Just declare it as a controller, and buttons CAN be set up to do things when pressed; any button NOT specifically programmed will play as the corresponding note. You have 64 to play with, so can do 64 "things". Interestingly, if you have a big keyboard, you can actually turn one or two notes that you don't need (like the top or bottom few if you have an 88 key controller) and turn them into stop/start/record. ANY MIDI keyboard. Just remember to disable the Waveform controller functionality for that device if you want the notes back :D :D

Sample MPK261.trkctrlr file...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<MIDICUSTOMCONTROLSURFACE name="peter" protocol="midi" eatsMidi="0" channels="8" parameters="18">
<MAPPING id="65653" addr="" channel="1" function="2" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65654" addr="" channel="1" function="1" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65655" addr="" channel="1" function="3" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65651" addr="" channel="1" function="4" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65652" addr="" channel="1" function="13" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65563" addr="" channel="1" function="8" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65564" addr="" channel="1" function="1400" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65564" addr="" channel="1" function="1300" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65565" addr="" channel="1" function="1401" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65565" addr="" channel="1" function="1301" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65556" addr="" channel="1" function="1800" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65557" addr="" channel="1" function="1801" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65558" addr="" channel="1" function="1802" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65559" addr="" channel="1" function="1803" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65560" addr="" channel="1" function="1804" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65561" addr="" channel="1" function="1805" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65562" addr="" channel="1" function="1809" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="65556" addr="" channel="1" function="0" note="-1"/>
<MAPPING id="0" addr="" channel="0" function="1800" note="-1"/>
</MIDICUSTOMCONTROLSURFACE>

This takes various buttons and does the basic transport controls, plus in this case turns it's 9 faders into track faders for channels 1-8; and the 9th as master volume. This was basically created with the MIDI learn capability - fairly simple to do. I haven't delved into invoking macros with button presses yet. It also selectively enables/disables recording on each of those via the buttons underneath, but less than satisfactory - you have to press once to SELECT and a second time to change state - not sure if that's a MPK toggle on/off thing, or interaction with Waveform.

If you want full functionality, that requires what looks like fairly extensive setup or major programming, but then you can use the buttons as mix levels for 8 channels, play with colors, all kinds of fancy things. https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... 200415.pdf
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

The number 3 MIDI in and out are the DAW ports for the Mk3s on Windows, I haven't tested with Tracktion because I only stayed in demo mode with 13 until it has a few features I would want, but, if I remember right from when Atom was being developed on iOS, if the app itself does not send a signal directly to the LP, then it wont be put in to DAW mode.
It is just a MIDI message, so you may be able to trigger it by sending the message manually?
Page 16 of the Programmers reference
https://fael-downloads-prod.focusrite.c ... Manual.pdf

Maybe Tracktion is not sending this message on Windows? you could run a MIDI monitor to see if it is.
Duh

Hello all, Thanks for the support.

Peter I understand the capabilities, but it won't have all the features that are expected from the brand new version and that were advertised by the new waveform as flagship (and the capabilities that Reaper with Drivenbymoss can easily achieve), so I won't go in that direction.

Bungle, there's midi out from the LP, but it seems there is not from Waveform.
I tinkered with the manual and the .js from Waveform, apparently it's not configured correctly:
this.initialiseDevice = function() {
sendMidiToDevice ([0xf0, 0x7e, 0x7f, 0x06, 0x01, 0x7f]); // device inquiry
sendMidiToDevice ([0xf0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x29, 0x02, 0x0E, 0x10, 0x01, 0x7f]); // enter DAW mode
sendMidiToDevice ([0xf0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x29, 0x02, 0x0E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x7f]); // Select session layout
the Hex 0x7f is 127 decimal, and the manual says it should be 0xF7 (247 decimal), I tried to edit the file, even turning read-only to not revert back, but it didn't work.

I will probably stop for now, hopefully this will help the Tracktion team solve this in the future.

Best of luck to them.

If you copy the file from the factory folder to the user folder, your changes will stop reverting back. But I'll take a look at this today.

If you need me to test it, share the .js, I can test this until the trial ends in 4 days.

Return to “Tracktion”