Does Biwig have a snap to key/scale option?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see Ableton Live 12 has it: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ive-12-FAQ - wondering if Bitwig has this some place?

No... there is no snapping of notes to scale in the piano roll.

What you can do is constrain the output of a clip to scales using the Key Filter or Transpose Map devices. It's also possible to make one (or more) track(s) constrain to the played scales in another track. But all of that is non-destructive and does not change the piano roll notes.

Cool, thanks!

You can also use the Note Grid to constrain notes to scales and chords progressions, as Polarity shows below. I typically don't write music in one scale, i modulate between them, so I use this method the most. Though, as pdxindy mentioned above this is non-destructive, so you would have to print MIDI to a seperate clip.

Polarity has an excellent library of tutorials on this subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzY5qBPibuY&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1b8-E1 ... =24&t=522s

duanosforde wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:11 pm You can also use the Note Grid to constrain notes to scales and chords progressions, as Polarity shows below. I typically don't write music in one scale, i modulate between them, so I use this method the most. Though, as pdxindy mentioned above this is non-destructive, so you would have to print MIDI to a seperate clip.

[...]
In a very exact sense, simply No.
Bitwig does not know of chords. First video shows how to restrict notes on one channel to an arbitrary set of notes coming from another channel. There's no notion of "what is the bass note" or ""which chord is this" or "which inversion". It's simply the set of notes ... and not even notes over a set of octaves but just the keys projected onto a one octave keyboard. So for instance if I count notes from lowest to highest I cannot do an arp that plays 1,1,3,2,5,4,1(-12),1
Lots of polarity videos with respect to chords do this "it's close" stuff ... but it's never really the real thing ... I'm afraid to say. Bitwig cannot do this, or can you do what "ChordPotion" of fealyoursound can do?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm
duanosforde wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:11 pm You can also use the Note Grid to constrain notes to scales and chords progressions, as Polarity shows below. I typically don't write music in one scale, i modulate between them, so I use this method the most. Though, as pdxindy mentioned above this is non-destructive, so you would have to print MIDI to a seperate clip.

[...]
Bitwig does not know of chords.
This is true, ^^^ would love for more read outs of chords, scales, etc
Though, I should have explained further. To constrain to a scale, I'll make a chord track/clip like in the video, with the entire range of notes in a particular scale that I'm working in (not just a triad or 7th chord or whatever), and place those notes 2 - 4 octaves above and below, and then send the notes to individual tracks with the note grid 'receiver' as explained in the first video. When there is a key or scale change in the song, say after the 2nd bar, I'll adjust the chord/clip track notes to reflect the scale change for the section, so if I play a part out of the original scale, the note will follow. That way, I can modulate scales and get the full range of notes in the scale and as many octaves as I want. So technically, you could do a 1,1,3,2,5,4,1(-12),1 arp. If any of that makes sense. It's another workaround, unfortunately. I would love for Bitwig to add in more songwriter/composer features i.e., a chord track, Scaler features, etc
Last edited by duanosforde on Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm In a very exact sense, simply No.
In a very exact sense, simply Yes.

Because the question was about constraining to scales. Which you absolutely can do. And yes, you can constrain one track to follow the notes of another track.

--

pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm In a very exact sense, simply No.
In a very exact sense, simply Yes.

Because the question was about constraining to scales. Which you absolutely can do. And yes, you can constrain one track to follow the notes of another track.
So cheap! I've replied to a single post that I have quoted in my reply. I repeat the context here, because you intentionally deleted it, quote: "You can also use the Note Grid to constrain notes to scales and chords progressions, as Polarity shows below".
Lack of reading comprehension. Deleting context. sad.

Return to “Bitwig”