How to stop clips being recorded into arrangement when recording a track?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:10 pm
The penny has dropped,I think I can now see what the OP was complaining about way back in 2015. In Bitwig I can see no way to listen to the song playing in its entirety and simultaneously record individual tracks to audio.
Yes... you cannot record a single track to audio in Arrange without the tracks where the clip launcher is playing also being recorded to Arrange.

It's fairly easy to work around... record the new material to the Clip Launcher and then move it to Arrange if you want it there. Or you can use Rolling Sampler/Rewind to record your playing and drag it into the track you want.

And it's still as stupid as it was 10 years ago that workarounds are needed for this... ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:48 pm I simply hope I live to see the day when tracks that are not record enabled aren't recorded. :shrug:
I don't care how Ableton does it, I just think that it's completely illogical in Bitwig, where I can actually jump fluently between cliplauncher and arrangement per track.

The problem for me is, that there is absolutely no way to disable this behaviour.
All I want is a way to NOT record stuff I don't record-enable, so the easiest may be to make it a preference.

Cheers,

Tom
Instead of trying to change the current logic of Record Arm, i would suggest a secondary Arm Button which can be hidden/shown on demand (just like i/o settings etc), and explicitely is concerning the signal-flow of Cliplauncher towards Arranger. This would increase the versatility of Bitwig more than a simple on/off button for your desired behavior. - But i'm sure you already would be happy about that on/off button :) I wouldnt mind such button! But i would be happy if your desired Bitwig behavior NEVER becomes the new default.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

I only have Live Lite,but I was able to do what the OP was asking in that DAW with relative ease - but its a bit clunky having a second window open. Bitwigs UI would allow for a much simpler implementation of this requested feature. This morning it occured to me that Tracktion Waveform now has a new clip launcher view,and so I wondered whether audio could be internally routed in that DAW to acheive this task. Well,it not only can do it, but with great ease,and in a more elegant way than Live. You can have the clip launcher below,and your audio tracks displayed above, and select individual tracks to record as you wish while listening to the whole song being played.

I am still scratching my head to wonder what the purpose of this feature could be useful for,but I guess artists who perform live could have an audio rendered file of their live performance?

dellboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:56 am I am still scratching my head to wonder what the purpose of this feature could be useful for,but I guess artists who perform live could have an audio rendered file of their live performance?
It's mainly a head-scratch feature for me , too.
I went 100% live performance since several years and it never occured to me that this (=what has been requested in this strange thread here) might be needed.
However, if other people think they need it for their workflow - fine. I wish everyone to be happy with his/her requested features, especially if it potentially can be implemented without taking much time. (e.g. on/off button in the preferences for the requested rec-arm abilities)
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:03 pm
dellboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:56 am I am still scratching my head to wonder what the purpose of this feature could be useful for,but I guess artists who perform live could have an audio rendered file of their live performance?
It's mainly a head-scratch feature for me , too.
I went 100% live performance since several years and it never occured to me that this (=what has been requested in this strange thread here) might be needed.
However, if other people think they need it for their workflow - fine. I wish everyone to be happy with his/her requested features, especially if it potentially can be implemented without taking much time. (e.g. on/off button in the preferences for the requested rec-arm abilities)
I am not sure how an "on-off" button would fulfill the request?

Both Live and Waveform have internal bus routing so that playing clips show up in an audio channel so that they can be recorded. I hunted for a way to do this in Bitwig,and it seems to lack this internal routing. In waveform you create an audio track,right click and select "route audio from track" (select track),hit a midi clip,and the selected clip shows up in that channel as audio ready to be recorded. Bitwig does not seem to have the same internal "midi to audio" routing. But I am new to Bitwig,and its quite likely I am missing something.

Im not 100% on what is being requested here. Is it "bounce midi to audio" that is being requested? Is it a retrospective recording buffer of some sort? Do people want to record audio from audio tracks? The more of the thread I read, the more it isnt clear what's really being discussed. Are people upset that the clip(silently) records into the arranger, and that you get a WAV file out of that?

Coming from cubase, I had some growing pains just using "clips" and "scenes" in general as I was resistant to using that philosophy. I like nice, clean arranger parts. Now it is indispensable to me, and I record into/out of clips all the time, live and not live. At first, I would look over and see (muted) parts being recorded into the arranger, and I would just delete them if I didnt need them. Now I usually keep all of it and decide later. Its a + to my workflow. Im confused as to why this is a barrier?

Milkman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:52 pm Im not 100% on what is being requested here. Is it "bounce midi to audio" that is being requested? Is it a retrospective recording buffer of some sort? Do people want to record audio from audio tracks? The more of the thread I read, the more it isnt clear what's really being discussed. Are people upset that the clip(silently) records into the arranger, and that you get a WAV file out of that?

Coming from cubase, I had some growing pains just using "clips" and "scenes" in general as I was resistant to using that philosophy. I like nice, clean arranger parts. Now it is indispensable to me, and I record into/out of clips all the time, live and not live. At first, I would look over and see (muted) parts being recorded into the arranger, and I would just delete them if I didnt need them. Now I usually keep all of it and decide later. Its a + to my workflow. Im confused as to why this is a barrier?
The original OP wanted to hear a whole scene playing in the clip view while jamming along and recording a single new individual track in the arrangement view. When he tried to do this he found that the entire scene was also being recorded in the arrangement view and that there is no way to stop this happening.

dellboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 am The original OP wanted to hear a whole scene playing in the clip view while jamming along and recording a single new individual track in the arrangement view. When he tried to do this he found that the entire scene was also being recorded in the arrangement view and that there is no way to stop this happening.
Exactly this dellboy, but I would add that the arranger tracks get recorded regardless of being armed or not. All I want is for there to be a way of limiting recording in the arranger to armed tracks only.

slackhead wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 pm
Exactly this dellboy, but I would add that the arranger tracks get recorded regardless of being armed or not. All I want is for there to be a way of limiting recording in the arranger to armed tracks only.
So I guess the scenario could be that while jamming in the clip view you come up with the bare bones of a song that you now want to flesh out in the arrangement view - laying down a melody while listening to the original song. So I guess that the nearest workaround that you came up with is to export the song to audio and re-import the single wave file into the arrangement view to play along to? Its still a bodge,but its better than having the entire arrangement view full of clutter.

dellboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 pm
So I guess the scenario could be that while jamming in the clip view you come up with the bare bones of a song that you now want to flesh out in the arrangement view - laying down a melody while listening to the original song. So I guess that the nearest workaround that you came up with is to export the song to audio and re-import the single wave file into the arrangement view to play along to? Its still a bodge,but its better than having the entire arrangement view full of clutter.
You can also record the melody in the Clip Launcher. There's no need to record to Arrange.

pdxindy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 pm
dellboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 pm
You can also record the melody in the Clip Launcher. There's no need to record to Arrange.
Yes, he knows that,so do I,but he wants to see the track being laid down in linear view. And also,he might now want to start afresh in the arrangement view laying down new tracks and eventually discard the clip view tracks.

It's all about making the most of having the clip view and the arranger working side by side. IMHO This is one of Bitwigs big advantages over Ableton. I shouldnt have to worry if a part is in a clip or in the arranger timeline, nor where I am recording to. But this issue prevents this flexibilty, so I have to concentrate on one way or the other, clips or timeline. I've ended up nearly always using the arranger view and ignoring clips because of this - which is a wasted opportunity.
Sure, I could record into a clip and then move into the arranger. But, I would prefer to be able make small arranged sections of music where I have some clips playing (loops etc) and other parts playing from the timeline and then record a new part without recording over stuff I already have placed in the timeline.
I don't think it's much to ask for.

I'm also a little non-plused by the fact that tracks can be recorded in any way without them being armed. Seems to defeat the whole purpose of arming.

slackhead wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:06 pm Sure, I could record into a clip and then move into the arranger. But, I would prefer to be able make small arranged sections of music where I have some clips playing (loops etc) and other parts playing from the timeline and then record a new part without recording over stuff I already have placed in the timeline.

I don't think it's much to ask for.
It's not too much to ask for. I would like to see more flexibility in this area too. I sent a feature request to Bitwig a while ago. If they get enough such requests, they may eventually improve it.

In the meanwhile, I also use Rolling Sampler for recording audio.

dellboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 am
Milkman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:52 pm Im not 100% on what is being requested here. Is it "bounce midi to audio" that is being requested? Is it a retrospective recording buffer of some sort? Do people want to record audio from audio tracks? The more of the thread I read, the more it isnt clear what's really being discussed. Are people upset that the clip(silently) records into the arranger, and that you get a WAV file out of that?

The original OP wanted to hear a whole scene playing in the clip view while jamming along and recording a single new individual track in the arrangement view. When he tried to do this he found that the entire scene was also being recorded in the arrangement view and that there is no way to stop this happening.
But if I wanted to do what they are doing, I would do it in reverse and/or use different clips and scenes. I jam along with clips while recording into the arranger, or sometimes into clips. It seems flexible and I still dont really see the issue? Forgive me if Im just missing something obvious. We all get tunnel-vision in our workflows at times.

Return to “Bitwig”