What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

revvy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 pm Bloke repeatedly accusing others of being a sect comes across so much weirder than them. Priceless.
But it's clear to see why I avoid them now to many.

BBFG# wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:59 pmThe blather was something about a soap opera dialog as some sort of immature analogy. So I scanned the rest of the comment for anything that wasn't and answered that.
Oh dear.

I'd quit digging now...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Uncle E wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:56 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:46 pm
syntonica wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:26 pm Ackshuallly... Most of Omni's presets have a high cringe factor to them and I wish I never heard them.
So now you are changing the parameters gotcha
I assume any post starting with "ackshually" is a joke. If you ever see me start a post with "ackshually", it is 1,000% a joke. 10,000% even!
It was meant as mockingly humorous. I admit it--I accidently replied to a troll further above which started this whole ridiculous exchange. Apparently, to them, opinions bad, projection good. <hangs head in shame> :lol:

Anyway, any of the do-everything plugins are fine in place of Omni--Synthmaster, Falcon, Avenger, Rapid, and some of the newer kids on the block. I don't, however, include Serum, as that's a whole different beast altogether.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Kontakt Play Series FTW! :party:

Well Kontakt does wavetables now so it’s technically a synth? :D

BBFG# wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:47 pm
More importantly, why do you even open a thread which asks for alternatives knowing your intent is only to offer none? You have an agenda and the truth that reveals that is an uncomfortable one. Want to be on topic? Drop the shill and offer alternatives. Quit wasting everyone's time. Maybe spend more of that digging through Omni and get the percentage of its use up.
This thread was started on April 30th. Within hours after the OP asked about alternatives I gave them some alternatives

This thread is also interesting to me because I own pretty much every legitimate alternative that people are recommending

So I open it hoping we can have intelligent conversations about sample based alternatives to Omnisphere

Instead usually we get people like yourself going off topic because they lack the cognitive abilities to figure out how to use the browser or who feel the need to attack people who like Omnisphere and find it excellent

If you had actually bothered to read the OPs post you would have seen they actually love Omnisphere but it came down to affordability

Blather, cringe, not going to read any continuation of off topic cult indoctrination. Waste of time and I've better things to do.

You guys just continue to prove my point.
Suggestion:
https://smartrecovery.org/
Last edited by BBFG# on Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBFG# wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:02 pm I've better things to do.
We sincerely hope so :dog:
MuLab of course :D

Dawesome MYTH or maybe Tracktion Horizen ... or Melda MSoundFactory?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue May 14, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IvyBirds wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 pm So I open it hoping we can have intelligent conversations about sample based alternatives to Omnisphere
Everytime people talk about sample. Falcon is way more capable.
Omnisphere is a gorgeous synth with hardware integration, many dsp waveforms and vcf
We should start with that.

Falcon is complicated. TAL Sampler makes layering easy and that's the key. I'm surprised no one brought up JD-800 or XV-5080 for sample+synth sounds.

BBFG# wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:02 pm Blather, cringe, not going to read any continuation of off topic cult indoctrination. Waste of time and I've better things to do.
And yet you came here again and went off topic and posted

If you think fans of Omnisphere are a cult and this is a waste of time for you why do you even bother to open this thread when you could easily ignore it

Gam456 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 pm So I open it hoping we can have intelligent conversations about sample based alternatives to Omnisphere
Everytime people talk about sample. Falcon is way more capable.
Omnisphere is a gorgeous synth with hardware integration, many dsp waveforms and vcf
We should start with that.
I own Falcon also, the sample library on Falcon (and HALion7) blows away Falcon

The GUI of Falcon is pretty terrible, the engine can do a lot but the pathetic sample library renders that moot

The most interesting thing about this thread is that there really isn't a serious contender for Omni at any price.

I remember many years ago people were touting Wusikstation as a cut-price alternative. Stupidly I bought it in a sale. What an idiot.

Falcon would seem best placed in some ways, but there's so much work to do. They have to incorporate a lot more interesting samples from elsewhere in their range, find a more musician-friendly UX, and get a really good tag browser.

If Omni is MacOS, Falcon is Linux.

Avenger is actually closer imo, though of course it's not like-for-like in terms of the UX. But I've always found it quite a nice musical interface, and it has an okay browser. It could really benefit from a more comprehensive factory library with some more interesting sources to throw into the terrific synthesis engines - there are a few expansions that go down this road, but I'd love to hear more esoteric acoustic instruments as starting points. It can do analog and digital very well.

Alchemy really is still the best suggestion overall if you are on Logic. I did demo it a few times back in the day, and I never quite gelled with it, but it sorta fits the bill best of any competitor. And hey it's free.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:22 pm The most interesting thing about this thread is that there really isn't a serious contender for Omni at any price.

I remember many years ago people were touting Wusikstation as a cut-price alternative. Stupidly I bought it in a sale. What an idiot.

Falcon would seem best placed in some ways, but there's so much work to do. They have to incorporate a lot more interesting samples from elsewhere in their range, find a more musician-friendly UX, and get a really good tag browser.

If Omni is MacOS, Falcon is Linux.

Avenger is actually closer imo, though of course it's not like-for-like in terms of the UX. But I've always found it quite a nice musical interface, and it has an okay browser. It could really benefit from a more comprehensive factory library with some more interesting sources to throw into the terrific synthesis engines - there are a few expansions that go down this road, but I'd love to hear more esoteric acoustic instruments as starting points. It can do analog and digital very well.

Alchemy really is still the best suggestion overall if you are on Logic. I did demo it a few times back in the day, and I never quite gelled with it, but it sorta fits the bill best of any competitor. And hey it's free.
I'd say halion is probably the best contender. Even though I prefer omisphere myself, Halion is much more versatile and has lots of good sample based stuff available to it as well as a heck of a lot if synthesis options.

Return to “Instruments”