VST Electro Harmonix

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:18 pm Other developers who have modeled versions of the Big Muff include Audiority (Big Goat, V2), Nembrini (Big Stuff, V9), and Fuse Audio Labs (Big Sur, V4), and Universal Audio (Bermuda, V1), which is DSP only.
I performed a bake off not so long ago. I don't have the UA, nor a hardware Muff. Audified discontinued their Multidrive Pedal Pro, unfortunately. Offered a choice of 12 pedals including a very usable Big Muff Pi. Nembrini's Big Stuff ended uninstalled along with Analog Obsession's pedalz. They both disappointed bigly. Audiority's Big Goat includes a gate and is a fine option, but I found that I mostly prefer Fuse's Big Sur.

I actually like the Nembrini. It’s more aggressive than others, which I chalk up to being a V9 NYC reissue model.

Big Sur is quite interesting because it’s a model of the V4 Muff, which was quite different than all other versions in that it used an op-amp instead of 4 transistors. Billy Corgan used one of those.

I will likely pick up the Kuassa Moon Muffin too and see how those models compare to the others.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

One other Big Muff model I almost forgot: Big Fuzz τ in Fazertone Overdrive Essentials. It’s modeled with machine learning, though I’m not sure which pedal version was measured.

I'll give you aggressive on the Nembrini. Not saying it was bad, just I found it limited and not to my taste. With the alternatives I had at hand, no need to keep installed. Waves MDMX Fuzz along with Multimod rack is where I'll spend next time exploring, but that's outside Electro Harmonix territory. Have an Ehx Flatiron Fuzz pedal that I want to compare with the plugins (maybe RAT more than Muff).

realmarco wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 pm NI's Guitar rig has
EHX Big Muff
EHX Small, Stone phaser
EHX Memory Man Delay and
EHX micro-Synth

amplitude has permission to use the EHX brand and the FX pedals' names
this makes me assume its good
One should never assume, but in my experience IK does a good to great job with it's modern emulations.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think there are some decent EH emulations of their basic stuff, of course you're not going to get the odd stuff, but IMO, there are so many amazing, creative effects out there. Distortion pedals are great, but check out Arturia's Coldfire plugin or Fabfilter's Saturn. I could go on all day. Just find the thread about creative effects.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I have an EHX stereo distortion (Op Overlord), it's ok. Definitely, there are many more interesting and arguably better distortions/fuzz'z out there in both HW and SW (tho I have yet to find a decent fuzz in SW, they just don't sound the same for some reason imo :shrug:)...

*I have a Fairfield Circuitry 'Unpleasant Surprise' experimental fuzz, that one's really
good. :tu:

resynthesis wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:52 pm What about the EHX VST with dongle

https://www.ehx.com/products/big-muff-p ... re-plugin/
Not a dongle, it's an analog device with plugin I/O, similar to the Analog Hest.

Yeah. It seems really stupid. Totally defeats the purpose of ITB software. If I wanted something like that, I’d just buy an actual Big Muff pedal and run my signal through it. At least a proper pedal would be useful playing out. And a lot cheaper, too.

dubguy99 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:01 am
resynthesis wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:52 pm What about the EHX VST with dongle

https://www.ehx.com/products/big-muff-p ... re-plugin/
Not a dongle, it's an analog device with plugin I/O, similar to the Analog Hest.
I was being flippant :tu:

There was/ is a SPICE realtime audio modeling thingy out in the world. I'm pretty sure I got it from GitHub or somewhere similar. Seems like the logical approach to fiddling with circuits in software to me. I just go for hard clipping with pre/ post filtering when I want fuzz. Outside of some of their "synth" pedals, I've never been blown away by any of the EH stuff I've played with.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I remember this one being excellent: https://guitarandbassplugins.com/doomplugs/

Return to “Effects”