Switching from Logic to Ableton Live 12 Suite (tutorials?)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My main uses for Logic are occasionally seeing what drummer will come up with for a track I don't like my drum ideas for, and the autosampler to turn favorite sounds into samples I can use in Live. Many of those favorite sounds are from Logic.

isuckatproducing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:39 pm Hi,

Just decided to switch, but the whole workflow seems super confusing.
Are there any up to date (can be paid) tutorials you guys would recommend?

Thanks!
How do you like to work now? As in, what do you normally start out with?

Are you recording audio? Do you need comping? Are you using external hardware, or is everything in the box?

Someone mentioned earlier that Live is a workflow, and there is a basic concept to it. The primary idea is to work something up in Session View, then record its performance in Arrangement View before doing the final arrangement and mixing in Arrangement View.

If you're performing, you might find using Arrangement View for sound design (or editing/consolidation) and copying results into Session View.

I'm mentioning this because you can find an old tutorial/walkthrough for any version of Live, and it should become clear.

There are a lot fewer features at first glance (and still true after digging), but this can be a great thing.

dayjob wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm I’ll never completely divorce from logic. There’s so many good things about it ..
Like what? You mean unique Logic things or general things that are also available in Logic?

Lerian wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:04 pm
dayjob wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm I’ll never completely divorce from logic. There’s so many good things about it ..
Like what? You mean unique Logic things or general things that are also available in Logic?
I've also had a lot of bugs in Logic lately, like plugins suddenly crashing, duplicating FX from one bus to another is putting random FX on this bus instead of actually duplicating it etc.

isuckatproducing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:16 pm I've also had a lot of bugs in Logic lately, like plugins suddenly crashing, duplicating FX from one bus to another is putting random FX on this bus instead of actually duplicating it etc.
I almost chose Logic some time ago when I switched, but now I'm so grateful to myself that I went the Reaper route.. I have basically zero issues, and I can do everything I want, actually I'm way below what it can do. I also keep Live around for some effects, but I'm so fast in Reaper I almost never open Live anymore unless there's some very specific thing that I can't do in Reaper.

Lerian wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:04 pm
Good things = things I like. Not speaking in comparisons. For me, working with midi and hardware. The sequencer, fx and instruments are often very good, mixing environment is comfortable for me. I tend to use it more for finishing and mixing than I do for starting tracks but do sometimes do the whole process in logic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”