GForce impOSCar 3 is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

YES!

This is the one update I've been waiting for. Instant upgrade purchase from v2 for me.

I love impOSCar.

Sweet. Purchased immediately.

Gotta say I'm very surprised they didn't implement the x-mod system here. The ob-x didn't have that many modulatable parameters and they used it there. But imposcar has tons of oscillator controls that could benefit from more modulation sources plus the dual filter controls as well. So many ways to tweak the sound I would have thought x-mod would be perfect here.

kraster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm
Buckster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 pm have to admit as both an impOSCar 2 and Legend owner

price aside - the demo of impOSCar 3 is captivating me more than Legend HZ so far
I think they're both excellent but very different.

The Legend HZ is dark, creamy, warm and brooding.

Imposcar3 is spiky, clear, fizzy and gnarly. More in your face.

Both are lush.
totally agree - but haven't convinced myself yet the extra cost (for me) is worth it for the upgrade from the Legend to Legend HZ - as the Legend sounds lush anyway

the Imposcar 3 adds a huge amount for a very reasonable upgrade price

Buckster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 pm have to admit as both an impOSCar 2 and Legend owner

price aside - the demo of impOSCar 3 is captivating me more than Legend HZ so far
It was an easy choice for me: impOSCar 3 is the better sounding synth, and, honestly, even sounds more "analog" with the volume+drive combo.

bmanic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:12 pm I always loved ImpOSCar 2 so this was an instant upgrade!

I'm quite sad that they didn't fix the really bad gain staging though. Why on earth doesn't the main Volume control have at least +24dB of positive gain available? You are literally forced to use the filter drive at quite high amounts to have any hope of reaching normal output levels. You can see this in every single preset on the damn thing too..

Why on earth don't they allow for easy access to the very interesting sound of the filter with drive at minimal? Such a huge yet simple miss in my opinion. Oh well.. just need to add another gain plugin after it so it's not a massive deal but it IS annoying.
Pretty sure it's because it's architected like analog not digital. That is, the higher the volume, the more the saturation/distortion. +24db would probably be distorted.

Also, I think the synth is too loud by default and wish you could lock the volume so I can lock it lower.

My farts are analog too. Sounds very Moog Model D like with drive knob.

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:50 pm My farts are analog too. Sounds very Moog Model D like with drive knob.
but are they loud enough? :hihi:

JamminFool wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:16 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:50 pm My farts are analog too. Sounds very Moog Model D like with drive knob.
And creamy?

Buckster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:45 pm
kraster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm

I think they're both excellent but very different.

The Legend HZ is dark, creamy, warm and brooding.

Imposcar3 is spiky, clear, fizzy and gnarly. More in your face.

Both are lush.
totally agree - but haven't convinced myself yet the extra cost (for me) is worth it for the upgrade from the Legend to Legend HZ - as the Legend sounds lush anyway

the Imposcar 3 adds a huge amount for a very reasonable upgrade price
In terms of value then it's ImpOscar 3 hands down.

It's arguably a more substantial upgrade than the Legend HZ is over the Legend.

The wavetable/LFO editor adds a ton of depth and the UI improvements are fantastic. Reverb is also really lovely.

The price is pretty steep for what you get with the Legend HZ. If they were equally priced it would be a much harder call since they're both very different.

The Legend HZ really does sound amazing though.

ralfrobert wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:23 pm
JamminFool wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:16 pm
And creamy?
Do they add depth and weight? Maybe better check the underwear then.

I'll have a look at it but it's probably not an instabuy. Wavetables is prolly the worst thing they could add to it imo, not impressed by any wavetable synth I've ever heard. New presets - good. New preset browser etc - couldn't really care less about fluff like that. New reverb - kinda nice but I'm extremely unlikely to use any inbuilt synth reverb. What other stuff is in there that's sonically useful? Sounds a bit like they're taking it away from what is legendary about OSCars and even at 30 squids...meh. Shame, cos imposcar is one of my goto VSTi. GForce have lost my interest recent years, sadly. Nothing they released has been to my tastes since imposcar2.

Instabuy for me. ImpOSCar has been a favorite "analog" vsti for some time now. A welcome upgrade and not too pricey considering all the new features. :)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:27 pm Sweet. Purchased immediately.

Gotta say I'm very surprised they didn't implement the x-mod system here. The ob-x didn't have that many modulatable parameters and they used it there. But imposcar has tons of oscillator controls that could benefit from more modulation sources plus the dual filter controls as well. So many ways to tweak the sound I would have thought x-mod would be perfect here.
I also bought it instantly.
A bit disappointing about the lack of X-mods :x , but I'm sure I'll love it when I dig into it.
Maybe X-mods will be something to look forward to for impOSCar 4. :hihi:

bmanic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:12 pm I always loved ImpOSCar 2 so this was an instant upgrade!

I'm quite sad that they didn't fix the really bad gain staging though. Why on earth doesn't the main Volume control have at least +24dB of positive gain available? You are literally forced to use the filter drive at quite high amounts to have any hope of reaching normal output levels. You can see this in every single preset on the damn thing too..

Why on earth don't they allow for easy access to the very interesting sound of the filter with drive at minimal? Such a huge yet simple miss in my opinion. Oh well.. just need to add another gain plugin after it so it's not a massive deal but it IS annoying.
A bit of a head game. Turn the drive all the way down and the sound completely disappears.
Seems like there should be a baseline or default value, and then drive should boost it up from there.

felis wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:27 pm Sweet. Purchased immediately.

I also bought it instantly.
A bit disappointing about the lack of X-mods :x , but I'm sure I'll love it when I dig into it.
Maybe X-mods will be something to look forward to for impOSCar 4. :hihi:
Here is what the support team told me: "We deliberately kept XMods off impOSCar3, believing it to be chaotic enough already! It certainly would add a pretty insane layer of complexity above the aux mod system already in place."

Return to “Instruments”