Not sure about Polyverse 'Filterverse' and 'Supermodal'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These two plugins sound really really good to my ears, they seem to be very original and creative.
Problem is if you want to use them, and be able to trigger their built in envelopes etc - you need to create a midi track, route it to the plugin (which is loaded as an audio effect).
If i'm going to use it as an alternative filter with creative options - then all of its settings aren't saved as a part of the preset on the synth plugin i'll be using it on.

Does anyone here have any experience using it on a synth plugin?

I just feel if this was an inherent part of a synth plugin then the integration would be so much better.
But with these two used as an audio effect - then using it as an alternative filter for a synth plugin seems a bit clumsy to me.

What do you think?

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 am These two plugins sound really really good to my ears, they seem to be very original and creative.
Problem is if you want to use them, and be able to trigger their built in envelopes etc - you need to create a midi track, route it to the plugin (which is loaded as an audio effect).
If i'm going to use it as an alternative filter with creative options - then all of its settings aren't saved as a part of the preset on the synth plugin i'll be using it on.
What would be the alternative to that?

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 am If i'm going to use it as an alternative filter with creative options - then all of its settings aren't saved as a part of the preset on the synth plugin i'll be using it on.

Use racks or whatever similar alternative your DAW gives you. Or look into a subhost.
I just feel if this was an inherent part of a synth plugin then the integration would be so much better.
But with these two used as an audio effect - then using it as an alternative filter for a synth plugin seems a bit clumsy to me.

What do you think?
Yes, that's the very nature of plugins being separate from each other.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 am These two plugins sound really really good to my ears, they seem to be very original and creative.
So you're asking why groups of plugins don't save their settings together? Unfortunately that wasn't ever in the plugin/host specifications. In fact I'm not sure if there is any actual specs on saving presets - I'm guessing not since so many devs solve it so many different ways. You'd need the host to be able to handle a new kind of 'bundle' preset which handles loading presets into multiple plugins at once.
zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 am Does anyone here have any experience using it on a synth plugin?
Yep, and although I use Logic and the MIDI routing is a bit cumbersome, I have no issue working with these plugins in the expected way, and the pay off is worth it, because have you heard the filters?.

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 am I just feel if this was an inherent part of a synth plugin then the integration would be so much better.

What do you think?
Perhaps far off in the future, a plugin standard will be created which allows us to 'blend' 2 or more plugins together (maybe even auto-polyphonization of conventionally monophonic effects might be possible) but until then we have to work within the limits of the tools, and to learn to try to appreciate and work comfortably within those limits.

I think by some of the replies here i was misunderstood.
I'm talking about using these as an alternative filters for synths.
As some of the demos show and suggest, i could load up an instance of, say, Diva.
Use a clean sawtooth wave as source - but use filterverse as an alternative filter to the options within Diva (or any other synth plugin to use as a waveform source with the inherent filter wide open).
So you create a preset - but the filter and all of its settings won't be saved as part of the sound i'm creating.
Perhaps when a part of a project/track it will be saved, but not as a preset within the synth itself.
That's all understood and known. I was just wondering how is this working for you.

Yeah, we see what you're saying, and we all work around this limitation in the ways which suit us.

For example, if you're using Ableton you could save your combined Synth and Filter preset as a Rack I believe. That's how Ableton solved the problem of saving presets for multiple plugins together.

I work in Logic which doesn't offer anything like Racks, and my working process acknowledges that so I have no need for it; in other words I don't have a problem I need to solve in that regard.

If you find this limitation inhibiting to your expressive potential, perhaps seek another tool? There might well be another host which can save your multi-plugin patches as a singular entity for you to recall at your whim. Well, I mean, there is; Ableton to start with. Maybe bitwig? I've no idea if Cubase or Studio1 have this ability.

Or you could use a plugin loader like bidule, metaplugin, renoise(?).. there are definitely more I can't recall right now. They allow you to save entire chains of whatever you want for loading as a single patch.

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am I think by some of the replies here i was misunderstood.
I'm talking about using these as an alternative filters for synths.
As some of the demos show and suggest, i could load up an instance of, say, Diva.
Use a clean sawtooth wave as source - but use filterverse as an alternative filter to the options within Diva (or any other synth plugin to use as a waveform source with the inherent filter wide open).
So you create a preset - but the filter and all of its settings won't be saved as part of the sound i'm creating.
Save a track preset in your DAW as an init preset, and go from there. I don't see any other way. As has been pointed out, what you're asking for never was subject of the plugin format specifications.

And, you're on the wrong path anyway. Such plugins never were intended as a substitute for a soft synth's filter and filter envelope.

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am I think by some of the replies here i was misunderstood. I'm talking about using these as an alternative filters for synths.
I think everyone understands your question, but you phrased it in a way that implies the issue is somehow specific to these Polyverse plugins, which is a weird way to put it because of course the issue your referring to is just how every effect plugin ever made works.

The way to save an instrument preset together with an effect preset and be able to recall them as a single preset is to use your DAW’s plugin rack feature and load the synth and the effect into the same rack. If your DAW doesn’t have plugin racks, you can use a third party plugin that will similarly allow you to combine multiple plugins into a single preset, such as Unify:

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-standard

...or such as BlueCats "patchwork",...or the Delay thing from them, which also works as a host.
i think the multiband thingy acts also as a host.
so, probably something like 3 "hosting" options from blue cat

Wait, what are you complaining about here? That two totally unrelated plugins don't automatically link together and form a new integrated plugin when placed next to each other in your DAW?

zahush76 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am That's all understood and known. I was just wondering how is this working for you.
Doesn't work for me... too clumsy and tedious and I end up not using it.

psynical wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:25 pm Wait, what are you complaining about here? That two totally unrelated plugins don't automatically link together and form a new integrated plugin when placed next to each other in your DAW?
Who said i'm complaining?
I only asked if there are people here that have these plugins and actually work with them - and what's their experience and opinion on how convinient it is.
Read.

It's an abstraction issue. Do plugin chainers like DDMF's Metaplugin solve that? You're wrap the synth and the downstream effects in a Metaplugin patch.

Does anyone here have any experience using it on a synth plugin?

What do you think?
It’s a bit clumsy, but whatever. I rarely use them on any type of synth because it’s sort of redundant anyway. Generally I’ll use them on an external instrument, like guitar or vocal, and just use host automation or one of Bitwig’s modulators.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Filterverse and Supermodal are a lot of fun on their own. They don't need to be paired with synthesizers to shine.
They are able transform any audio into a synth.
The modulation capabilities are so vast - I rarely need to automate them.

In this video I am demoing them on Drums (music starts at 3:15) :
https://youtu.be/dO-aVgwGkoE?t=195

For them to be part of a synth - you will have to wait for our next plug-in ;)

Return to “Effects”