Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

for me also no discounts for the Studio Bundle, only one, i have all from Madrona Labs, accept SUMU, so that does not work...

i think reports, can go to discord, or better email.... if you are not on discord....

and buying only SUMU; the payment network gives an error... (when you choose EURO's so that is going wrong...)

but buy it! you gonna like it! (but also always first demo it...) it is much more capable than you think, as all Madrona Labs synths are.

i am on discord, but not a (real) beta tester, too much time went into another great unique synth that came out, recently...
so i already could play with it...
and saw things......

there are more reports about crashes etc, it is really an early access version, not that stable, although it should be. because in my case, well.....

please report it via email or discord!

Same deal hear with the licenses.

I have all the Madrona Plugins bar Sumu and I only have Kaivo and Virta registered for the discount on the bundle.

I guess my system is just too old for Sumu. I have an AMD 3700 and Sumu, set to no unison and just 4 voices, immediately maxes it out with two notes held with the only modulation being an envelope to the amp - running in Bitwig 5.1.

I have an older Mac Mini, which I doubt is up to the challenge. Future purchase most probably, when I get a new machine.

pretty funny to eagerly wait this long for a synth to be released for it to instantly crash the 3 DAWs i try it in. well played Randy :hihi:

kraster wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:42 am I have all the Madrona Plugins bar Sumu and I only have Kaivo and Virta registered for the discount on the bundle.
I've all of them too, though it only recognises Virta for the discount for me (even though all the licenses are correctly listed in the 'my licenses' section)

crashes studio one.

But I'm thinking of buying some other Madrona's synth (maybe). Do they have sales?

Seems like a cool synth. This type of bizarre resynthesis (or similar) is kind of what the many modular DSP platforms out there are for. I'll definitely demo it but I'm guessing it's performance just doesn't justify it's capabilities.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Randy's aware of the bundle discounts not working correctly, for the record.

Those who are seeing crashes, if you could e-mail crash logs and system info (hardware, OS, DAW) to [support at madronalabs dot com], that'd be very helpful. We beta tested on a fairly wide variety of systems, but evidently not enough to catch everything.

There's another known issue which you don't need to report if you see it: On some systems the UI spawns bigger than intended and won't resize. That's logged and worked on. So are a few other lesser things which will get fixed for the next early access build.

Anyway, fun that this is finally out! :) I'm having a lot of fun with it, especially for percussive sounds personally.

It occurred to me that I have been underusing Bitwig's features while demoing Sumu. If I want more envelopes and LFOs they're right there! And I can control the attenuverters with those too... so while it's not quite the compound VCA I'd like, it's a lot of the way there.

With that insight, a good night's sleep and a bit more experimentation, I'm getting better results, unique stuff and in a range I'd want to use.

I still wish very much that there was a "Hi Scale" for partials amplitude, or even high cut, or a drawable "EQ" for those amplitudes. With a lot of sounds I feel like I need the lowpass filter (or an external EQ or filter) for a more brute-force approach that also affects the FM results. Maybe within Vutu there's that sort of control, but I kind of just want to use the factory partial maps without even looking at Vutu for a while.

I also still don't like the browser. :shrug: But it's bearable.

There's an issue with mouse movement -- I have a dual widescreen monitor setup where they're both in landscape, one above the other, and with Sumu on the top monitor the mouse jumps to the bottom monitor whenever I try to drag a control.

(Yes, it's the Lawful Evil configuration :borg: )
dualmon_alignment_chart.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Works fine with Digital Performer (AU format) & REASON 12 (VST3 format) .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

foosnark wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:02 pm It occurred to me that... [etc]
I think your post on the previous page is a fair review of Sumu in its current state.

It does some things really well, and those things would be very hard to achieve with any other tools I know. But simple and approachable is not its strong suit. You might say that was never exactly the point, Madrona Labs was always experimental etc, which is all true. But it does feel a little different in this case.

I like you have very often found myself wanting some simple LFOs and Envelopes alongside the per-partial ones. (And indeed solved it with Reapers param modulation features).

Important disclaimer here, I'm helping with beta testing and some other things but am otherwise not working for Randy directly. So please don't take this as his word. He'll decide what order to do things in obviously. But the fact there are plans to address a couple things you raised is kinda written on the wall, so I just wanna point at the writing:

You'll see there's a greyed-out control called "tilt" in the partials section. That feature is just not implemented yet.
A bit more subtly, if you've tried Aaltoverb 2, you know that its main controls have built-in LFOs, one for each dial, accessed by right- or long-clicking them. The plan was always to bring that feature to Sumu as well. Again, this is not implemented yet.

Lawful evil monitor configuration, LOL! :D

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:23 pm Lawful evil monitor configuration, LOL! :D
That's actually pretty much my work screen config, except the lower screen is the smaller laptop screen - so I guess my setup is lawful netral-evil

Lawful Neutral here. :P
<list your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”