Arturia releases MiniBrute V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This one sounds extremely good. I think it might be a bit limited timbre-wise, but what it does it does very, very well for a software synth.

And theyre releasing a software version of the Polybrute
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I am blown away by this synth honestly. Next level sound quality in synth software imo.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:50 am And theyre releasing a software version of the Polybrute
Wait, what? Is this mentioned anywhere officially?

This is top tier. An exceptional emulation. While I found the hardware a bit limited as a monosynth, it really shines as a polysynth. I would love a polybrute - IMO it's easily the best of the modern analogues - but have no space for such a large beast :(

On that note, I doubt that they'd release a polybrute VST so soon after this one and their new instrument, but they certainly have all the pieces in place to do so now...

davidka wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:35 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:50 am And theyre releasing a software version of the Polybrute
Wait, what? Is this mentioned anywhere officially?
Nope.

Pure speculation

No offense but I'd rather listen to a side by side comparison with the hardware before making my own conclusions.
<list your stupid gear here>

Uncle E wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:14 am
IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:21 pm They must have hit a brick wall with product development if they are reduced to Augmented series and digital remakes of their own budget line of hardware synths
Arturia is celebrating their 20th Anniversary. That's a great reason to revisit their own products. In many ways, AstroLab is a re-release of the Origin.
AstroLab is a AnalogLab in a keyboard for stage musicians. I hope for a full blown Arturia modular (all their plugins broken into modules), add the PolyBrute 12 keyboard and a Circlon-like sequencer and you have something special.

wvshpr wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:48 am I hope for a full blown Arturia modular (all their plugins broken into modules), add the PolyBrute 12 keyboard and a Circlon-like sequencer and you have something special.
needs more rocket-car and unicorn.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:29 am No offense but I'd rather listen to a side by side comparison with the hardware before making my own conclusions.
Suggestion. Just download this without side by side and play with it. And come to your own conclusion without someone doing some test. Rely on your hearing senses and your experience. If it is bad for you then it is bad. Nothing wrong with it. You may be surprised. As I was.

kmonkey wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:42 am
egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:29 am No offense but I'd rather listen to a side by side comparison with the hardware before making my own conclusions.
Suggestion. Just download this without side by side and play with it. And come to your own conclusion without someone doing some test. Rely on your hearing senses and your experience. If it is bad for you then it is bad. Nothing wrong with it. You may be surprised. As I was.
+100, we can say whatever we want if you hear it differently. There's a free, non restrictive demo available for everyone to test.

Personally this sounds authentic to me, but I was not into the HW Minibrute anyway. It's like having that on your computer plus the effects and polyphony.

I'll just keep using the other monosynths of V-Collection and gather the funds for future update sales.

Microbrute was the synth that got me back into hardware again after years of 100% ITB, and eventually was my gateway drug to modular. It's the sort of synth that seems super simple, but the more you live with it the more you can squeeze out of it. Comapred to the Minibrute, it had only one envelope and no noise source -- but it had a tiny patch bay that let you modulate the metalizer among other things, and was extra fun if you had (semi-)modular stuff to plug in to it.

I'd be nostalgic for it except that I have a Minibrute 2S now. So those kinds of tones are covered, plus the second VCO and generous patch bay really take it somewhere beyond.

But this plugin is still pretty cool. I'm kinda tempted, though I really don't need it. It feels weird to me to have polyphony and big fat unison on one of the non-poly Brutes, but it's effective.

I wanted to point out how good the built-in FX are (although you should be able to rearrange the FX, not just copy them into other slots). I'm of two minds about built-in FX in synths; on the one hand I have plenty of FX plugins to choose from, but on the other sometimes it becomes part of the characteristic sound. And sometimes, like here, they really suit it and you might as well use 'em.

A couple of years ago I'd be skeptical that anyone could get the filter and Brute Factor right, but I've heard some filter emulations that were surprisingly close to perfect since then, where you could A/B them on a scope and everything matches. To my ears this one seems close enough to capture the magic (and the occasional frustration) and that's what counts, really. I'd want to compare it to the original Microbrute, not the 2 anyway.
Last edited by foosnark on Wed May 22, 2024 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I had a few, "Let's save that as a project", moments last night while plonking around with the MiniBrute in Ableton. It's a steal at the US $49 loyalty price.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Foosnark, your Minibrute pathway to modular is a perfect parallel to my journey. That little patch bay…. I’m also now in possession of a 2S sometimes bolted to one of my loaded Rackbrutes.

I'll take an objective test (comparison with hardware) over subjective test (trying a demo) any time.
<list your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”