SynthMaster song contest with $1000 cash and software license prizes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthMaster 2 SynthMaster Player for iOS

kv331 wrote:
ThePresent wrote:By accident, my song got uploaded twice :( (Turn me away)
I just deleted the duplicate (2nd one)
:tu:

I predict that this voting system would be a total disaster and the real danger is that it won't be too obvious on the organizer's end...
Anyway, I'm having fun :) .. just begun listening to the entries one by one and leaving comments. :tu:

Nine of Kings - Only One .... kick-a$$ garage shuffle.... but it's currently featured twice within the contest playlist! :P

Seems I can't get SoundCloud to play one track so far... "11.20.15"

3ee wrote:Seems I can't get SoundCloud to play one track so far... "11.20.15"
Fixed :)
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

kv331 wrote:
3ee wrote:Seems I can't get SoundCloud to play one track so far... "11.20.15"
Fixed :)
Hi, can you check my PM. Thanks.
musisikamar.com

3ee wrote:I predict that this voting system would be a total disaster and the real danger is that it won't be too obvious on the organizer's end...
+1
3ee wrote:Anyway, I'm having fun :) .. just begun listening to the entries one by one and leaving comments. :tu:
Thank you for the comments on my entry, much appreciated.

Actually, you are right about my mastering, I am quite terrible at it so far and have just begun learning how to do it myself since I don't have anyone to do that for me anymore.

So I am quite glad you mentioned the overcompression, it will help me to get better. My mixing stage still was fine, but with compression and limiting I just wanted far too much somehow ...

My new set of golden rules mastering after this little disaster:

1.) Always listen to your tracks on different systems (also low-quality gear) to find flaws
2.) Reset your ears regularly
3.) Better attenuate than boost when EQing is necessary
4.) Use compressor and limiter wisely - the loudness war will be over soon :)

So glad to see Torley in this. Even I voted for him.

FrankLaVerne wrote:My new set of golden rules mastering after this little disaster:

1.) Always listen to your tracks on different systems (also low-quality gear) to find flaws
2.) Reset your ears regularly
3.) Better attenuate than boost when EQing is necessary
4.) Use compressor and limiter wisely - the loudness war will be over soon :)

add/correction:

1. also always listen to references, very important! otherwise you don't know where you're at in terms of levels across frequencies. this is especially important when you don't have a perfect monitoring system.
2. sure, tweak some stuff then take a break and revisit etc... use an SPL meter (there are some free apps for your phone too) final adjustments should be done at louder levels like around 80db SPL since the human hearing is more neutral there, again, make sure your monitoring system (this includes acoustic treatment) is as good as possible.
3. Not valid at all ... cut or boost at free will just keep them conservative (a usual thing to keep in mind is that wider Qs tend to sound more natural so they are usually coupled with boosts)
4. This is the problem, the mix should be taken care of if the mastering is expected to be roughed-up ... instead of forcing master compression/limiting. Use bus compression and limiting/clipping on tracks and buses... this will certainly help get better results. Loudness war is an illusion... a damn real one... but there is something of importance "dynamic range" and that really depends on the music you make. I usually aim for about -8 to -7 RMS on the master, I found that my music sounds best around there atm.

a side-note on mastering dynamics:
In my experience:

-Mastering compressor should be around 1-2db of GR (sidechain to let some low freqs pass is pretty much a must)
-Gain more energy using saturation (if it's suited only)
-VERY Hard clipper to control some sporadic peaks, best sounding one you can get (1-2db tops)
-Multi-band compression with linear-phase crossovers to tame 1-2db per band of freq specific peaks
-Best limiter you can afford doing a few dbs only
.... and this is the thing, if you find yourself pushing levels beyond what you feel becomes detrimental to the sound... go back to the mixing stage and tame what's pushing "against the wall" you'll often find it's probably some low freq bump either on the kick, snare or bass... or similar so it's up to you to make "the right compromise" ..should I tell you about room acoustics again?? ;)

:ud:

Thanks for all the tipps, 3ee, I appreciate it a lot.

I already got the A.O.M. Invisible Limiter two days ago, and I am quite happy with it so far.

I was just too blind and threw parallel compression on while not taking care of the right balance (as you could hear). I often read that when you need additional gain staging then use parallel compression, but I'd rather stick with multiband and saturation and learn how to use that properly. Also, the 1-2db of GR on the master (probably as a glue) is also on my list as a standard now.

About the hard clipper: So far I am using the T-Racks Classic Clipper, but I heard both good and bad things about the Kazrog one. Any opinion? :)

^ view parallel compression as adding "density" and not "gain staging"
important note about the master bus compression... it's a different thing/effect -when- you put it on... I usually put it on right after I set initial level and perhaps to a bit of subtractive EQ, so that's more towards the beginning of the mix.... and at the end I turn it on/off and make needed adjustments.

Instead of multi-band compression in most cases when mixing is probably best to use a dynamic-eq since it does the same thing but without the negative side-effects of phase distortion. ... instead or before clipper while mixing, use a fast de-esser when some high freq peaks are a problem.

T-Racks Clipper is probably good AFAIK, I have and use Kazrog KClip atm and I love it!

3ee wrote:^ view parallel compression as adding "density" and not "gain staging"
important note about the master bus compression... it's a different thing/effect -when- you put it on... I usually put it on right after I set initial level and perhaps to a bit of subtractive EQ, so that's more towards the beginning of the mix.... and at the end I turn it on/off and make needed adjustments.

Instead of multi-band compression in most cases when mixing is probably best to use a dynamic-eq since it does the same thing but without the negative side-effects of phase distortion. ... instead or before clipper while mixing, use a fast de-esser when some high freq peaks are a problem.

T-Racks Clipper is probably good AFAIK, I have and use Kazrog KClip atm and I love it!
Good, I'll get Kazrog then since it's only 10 bucks at the moment.

Dynamic EQ is no problem, I bought Melda's AutoDynamicEQ a couple of days ago and I'm getting into it at the moment - brilliant EQ in my opinion, easy to use (and also a brilliant De-Esser, used it to tame the sharp edges of vocals).

Thank you again for all the tipps - should help me to get on the right track :D

I have been through the half part of the songs (starting from the last one) and I already liked 16 songs! I mean I really like them and want to hear them again :) from those 16 I have 4 as absolute favourite that moved my emotions. Today I will go through the other part and see what I would like :D In conclusion, it is a great competition and it is very refreshing to hear such nice music with such variety and talent :)

Well, the most important thing that I have learnt in this competition is not really about Synth programming or Music composition but about buying [screaming]damn good monitors!!![/screaming] :cry:

The music did really well with my monitors (small 4.5") and I really was almost sure it would translate the same almost in other systems, but it did horrible job :( I'm very disappointed really. I thought only the bass might be a problem, but it seems everything from high and mid. So, my conclusion is to cancel all other plans and save for a good pair of monitors (I'll start a new thread in the Hardware section about it).

You can have all the knowledge in the world about mixing/mastering but without accurate monitors, it is just a confusing business :(

Many people voted their own song :hyper:

Hidekin wrote:Many people voted their own song :hyper:
Hey, I have to get at least ONE vote.

Actually, I think I have 2 so far.

Return to “Instruments”