Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mickbenjamins wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm It should be clear from the product page what the goal of the instrument is :lol:
To make noises?

Pleasant noises, in particular :)

This thing is pretty much always in a sweet spot. Really hard to make it sound bad.

Doesn't install.
Error: "Please run from original DVD".

mickbenjamins wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm What if the goal of this synth isnt to be a new mega synth, but to be a simple, fun-to-use polysynth that makes it easy to dial in good sounding patches, that fills up a void in the product lineup?
And having to fire Reaktor for that? :nutter:

I could understand if it was an independent plug-in, like Pro-53 was, but it isn't. :?

If you want to "fill voids" what about updating Absynth and FM8, instead?
Last edited by fmr on Thu May 02, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

With Komplete Kontrol it's just like any other preset that's there, though :) It's all about the NKS ecosystem, really.
fmr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pmIf you want to "fill voids" what about updating Absynth and FM8, instead?
They're a polar opposite of "simple", and updating them doesn't fill a hole for a simple synth in NI's portfolio. But yes, I do agree it's nigh time to have some sort of an update for them :)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu May 02, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:21 pm With Komplete Kontrol it's just like any other preset that's there, though :) It's all about the NKS ecosystem, really.
Don't know. Don't use... don't care. :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Nah....

mickbenjamins wrote: What if the goal of this synth isnt to be a new mega synth, but to be a simple, fun-to-use polysynth that makes it easy to dial in good sounding patches [...] ?
Thats what i was thinking.

After all a lot of synths that went on to become classics arent overly complex but still sound good, i.e. you dont always need a 'kitchensink' featureset to make nice and usable sounds.

ENV1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm
mickbenjamins wrote: What if the goal of this synth isnt to be a new mega synth, but to be a simple, fun-to-use polysynth that makes it easy to dial in good sounding patches [...] ?
Thats what i was thinking.

After all a lot of synths that went on to become classics arent overly complex but still sound good, i.e. you dont always need a 'kitchensink' featureset to make nice and usable sounds.
Here's the problem. As a simple synth goes, compared to other simple synths, this brings ZERO new to the table. Now, throw an $89 price tag on top of it and it's absolutely ludicrous.

I have tons of simple synths. I can get the sounds that this thing gives out of many of them, and for a lot less than $89.

That's the problem. NOT that it's a simple synth.

Chris-S wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm Doesn't install.
Error: "Please run from original DVD".
When you mount the iso, just install it from there. Do not extract the exe.

ENV1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm After all a lot of synths that went on to become classics arent overly complex but still sound good, i.e. you dont always need a 'kitchensink' featureset to make nice and usable sounds.
Yeah, the simplicity of the one-page GUI certainly appealed to me - as did the sounds in the walkthough ! Plus getting a big chunk off for taking part in that Nike competition they did last month sweetened the deal ....

wagtunes wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pmHere's the problem. As a simple synth goes, compared to other simple synths, this brings ZERO new to the table.
Not quite correct. The modulation system alone is something I didn't see in some other simple synths, which either have fixed modulations or a fixed number of modulation slots. In Super 8, every synth parameter can be modulated by two destinations, and each destination can be sidechained. Also, there's no tabbing, and there's a nice amount of visual feedback as well.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:20 pm A simple nice synth with clean GUI. This si something NI lacked - most of their synths are rather experiemental novelties.
I don't think filling a void is NI problem. It's lack of innovation in product design.
They just keep stacking up stuff onto old winners or keep building reaktor ensembles.
Sorry, if I compare this to the Arturia Synthi which creates a whole new experience with a very decent emulation quality and a great GUI...

I still have my hopes up for Massive X because what they did with the oscillators is interesting....
But if Massive X fails, I guess my interest in Native Instruments is pretty much gone. (And more importantly, I think I'm not alone in this).

But like I said... still have my hopes up.

Synthi is again pretty much opposite from "simple".

Sounds great in the demo. Maybe I'm jumping the gun but sounds like it's going to be one of the best VA's around.

Still if (God forbid) I purchase another instrument anytime soon I'll have to check out massive x first.

Return to “Instruments”